Bi-amp or Front heights?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I've just invested in a pair of Q Acoustics 2050 floorstanders to complement my existing 1010i 5.1 set up, with the hope of bringing a bit more musicality to the system and some more front end heft for movies (I was going to go with the 1050i but couldn't find any as discontinued, so was advised that the 2050s would be fine) My initial plan, due to the shape of my room was to move the existing front speakers up to form a 7.1 front height set up, as my sofa is against the back wall and a traditional 7.1 set up wouldn't be feasible (to my knowledge) My dealer then mentioned the possibility of bi amping the fronts instead, now obviously the only way to know which is best is to try it out for myself, but as both options require some more shifting around, and in the case of the front heights, further outlay for wall brackets etc, does anyone have any opinions on what would be a better bet and sound the best.

Thus far I've been fairly impressed with the sound, but not quite to the extent I'd hoped, so am wondering whether bi amping may help matters further. Additionally, was wondering which settings you'd recommend for using the 2050s with my amp. At the moment (on the advice of an older thread I read) I've got the crossover on the fronts set to 60hz as opposed to full range as they go down to 44hz, and the rest of the crossovers set to 80hz. Other than letting the speakers run in a bit more, any tips on improving their performance to the level that I'd hoped, and that others on the forum e.g. Pistol Pete1 reported when they added floorstanders to their existing 1010i 5.1 set up

Cheers!

Todds

Tonya

Sep 9, 2008
Visit site
No question about it, bi-amping is the way to go.
The difference will be immediately obvious as you will hear!

I tried the front height setup on my Onkyo and it was not big a deal compared to the gains when you bi-amp.

A

Anonymous

Cheers for that!

that's the route I'm thinking will reap the most improvement to be honest, and will be far easier to implement that running the cables up the walls and fitting brackets for the front heights, unless anyone else has any other input to the contrary?
smiley-smile.gif

Could anyone give me some help with the settings side of things though, as I'm still a bit unsure what exactly I'm doing wrong as the sound isn't quite the improvement I sought. I think its either 1. because they haven't run in yet, 2. that I need to use the rear port bungs maybe, 3. sort out the crossover setting 4. bi amp them or 5. a combination of those. Any help would be most appreciated as for music they are great but they lack that extra something for movies at the moment, and I don't want to have to send them back!
smiley-frown.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts