Better speaker wire=i was a sceptic

Nelly

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
i recieved 2x2meter lengths of 326 strand ofc speaker cables terminated with banana plugs today.Well everything sounds so much clearer no harshness to the treble mid has opened up and bass is alot tighter.Now as a sceptic i thought its got to be a placebo affect(im expecting better so it must be).But the thing that has 100% convinced me now is my partner bless her has no idea about good music but as she walked into the room with my music playing she stopped and said why is the sound clearer coming from your speakers.i nearly choked on my coffee.cant wait now for my nad c316bee arriving monday :)

Nelly said:
i recieved 2x2meter lengths of 326 strand ofc speaker cables terminated with banana plugs today.Well everything sounds so much clearer no harshness to the treble mid has opened up and bass is alot tighter.Now as a sceptic i thought its got to be a placebo affect(im expecting better so it must be).But the thing that has 100% convinced me now is my partner bless her has no idea about good music but as she walked into the room with my music playing she stopped and said why is the sound clearer coming from your speakers.i nearly choked on my coffee.cant wait now for my nad c316bee arriving monday :)

326 strands eh? Here we go! :)

Cypher

Jun 8, 2007
Visit site
Nelly said:
But the thing that has 100% convinced me now is my partner bless her has no idea about good music but as she walked into the room with my music playing she stopped and said why is the sound clearer coming from your speakers.

There's the partner again :grin:

Nelly

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Cypher said:
Nelly said:
But the thing that has 100% convinced me now is my partner bless her has no idea about good music but as she walked into the room with my music playing she stopped and said why is the sound clearer coming from your speakers.

There's the partner again :grin:

yes mate im so exicted i am like a child at christmas(and im 44) ;)

getting that reaction from someone who has no clue about music sealed the deal :)

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Nelly said:
...But the thing that has 100% convinced me now is my partner bless her has no idea about good music but as she walked into the room with my music playing she stopped and said why is the sound clearer coming from your speakers...

cliche2_zps613611af.jpg

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Digital cables and power cables make no difference to the sound quality. They either work or they don't.

You can hear a difference with some analogue cables though. The good ones don't add any noticable distortion so they all sound the same because they can't make the original signal any better than it already is. Bad cables that do add distortion can make it worse though and I suspect this is what often gets mistaken for an 'improvement' with some of the overpriced audiophile cables.

(I know this comment has been cut and pasted from another cable thread but the point is a valid one and is worth repeating for anyone new reading this. :) )

steve_1979 said:
Digital cables and power cables make no difference to the sound quality. They either work or they don't.

You can hear a difference with some analogue cables though. The good ones don't add any noticable distortion so they all sound the same because they can't make the original signal any better than it already is. Bad cables that do add distortion can make it worse though and I suspect this is what often gets mistaken for an 'improvement' with some of the overpriced audiophile cables.

(I know this comment has been cut and pasted from another cable thread but the point is a valid one and is worth repeating for anyone new reading this. :) )

But then they would have to be new wouldn't they. Ooops. :)

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
steve_1979 said:
Nelly said:
...But the thing that has 100% convinced me now is my partner bless her has no idea about good music but as she walked into the room with my music playing she stopped and said why is the sound clearer coming from your speakers...

cliche2_zps613611af.jpg

Yea, yea

What the hell would women know about HiFi & SQ. They'll be thinking they are equal next. Real audiophiles are single. My girlfriend is far more likely to ask who the artist is.

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Nelly said:

Giving the o/p the benefit of the doubt - of course speaker cables can sound different. The dominant factor in cable performance is resistance. This is a function of the cross sectional area of the conductor. It has nothing to do with the number of strands - strands can be different sizes - one big thick conductor is better than lots of thin strands - size really does matter.

The question is then what was the cross sectional area of your original speaker cables, and what is the cross sectional area of the cables you have replaced them with. When we know that, we can have a heated discussion about whether you are imagining it or not.

chelstondave

May 23, 2010
Visit site
My partner's always walking into the room and saying either:

a. "Turn that down, I'm trying to watch Holby City"

b. "have you cut the grass yet?" or

c. "Why aren't you out playing five-a-side football or something like other men and not stuck inside listening to that"

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
It's amazing how the partner who knows nothing about audio and can't tell the difference between SD and HD video only ever walks in at the exact moment someone has just made a negligible upgrade to their system. No partner has ever walked into a room when someone has changed their speakers - fact.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
busb said:
Yea, yea

What the hell would women know about HiFi & SQ. They'll be thinking they are equal next. Real audiophiles are single. My girlfriend is far more likely to ask who the artist is.

My girlfriend did once say that my hifi sounds "nice". Ironically she was sitting aganst a wall in what is probably the worst position in the whole room where the bass sounds muddled and boomy. :roll:

Normally she just says "What's that crap you're listening to now" or "Can you turn that racket down."

TrevC

MakkaPakka said:
It's amazing how the partner who knows nothing about audio and can't tell the difference between SD and HD video only ever walks in at the exact moment someone has just made a negligible upgrade to their system. No partner has ever walked into a room when someone has changed their speakers - fact.

Prove it!

(Only kidding!)

The golden rule with speaker cables is thick conductor good, thin conductor bad.

T

the record spot

andyjm said:
Giving the o/p the benefit of the doubt - of course speaker cables can sound different. The dominant factor in cable performance is resistance. This is a function of the cross sectional area of the conductor. It has nothing to do with the number of strands - strands can be different sizes - one big thick conductor is better than lots of thin strands - size really does matter.

That is, assuming you prefer that as I found my current multistrand better than my now gone AudioQuest Type IV solid core cable. So one big thick conductor might well be better than lots of thin strands, in the same way that some active owners on here remind us frequently of the technical superiority over their passive speaker brethren, or that a stereo amp is supposedly always better than an AV one.

Yet I use an AV amp and multistrand cable. What ought to be doesn't immediately that it always is.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
steve_1979 said:

If you think that the power will go through a very thin piece of wire, also called the fuse, I agree that under normal circumstances, the kind of power cable used shouldn't make any/much difference. If however you live in an intereference intensive environment and I'm not talking partners, a shielded cable or at the very least some sort of noise supressor close to the power inlet of the unit, can indeed make a difference, at least in my experience. - That goes for pretty much any analogue cables.

regards

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
There are two questions here. First, can the design of cables (diameter, material, shielding, spacing) make a measurable difference to their electrIcal properties? The answer to this question is unambiguously 'yes'. The second question is whether these electrical differences are sufficient to make a perceptible difference to the sound of an audio system. As I suggested on another thread a month or two back, there's no robust scientific evidence either way (at least none that I've been able to find).

Nelly

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Cypher said:
Nelly, the only thing that's important here is that you're happy with the new speakercables.................. :)

yes you are exactly right im happy not cost me the earth(£12 terminated)and im thrilled even if it is placebo ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts