Best way to spend £700? Hifi or Home Cinema setup for PS3?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I could do with a bit of advice over whether to buy a quality separates system for music or if I would get better value going for a budget home cinema setup.

My main source will be my PS3 for streaming MP3s from my PC and to double up for Blueray/DVD. I have a 32" Panasonic LZD85 LCD. Chances are I will be listening to music more than watching movies and I am not into gaming that much.

I was thinking of either the Onkyo 606 with Kef 2005.2 Style Speakers for £700 or a Marantz PM6002 amp with B&W 685 or 686 (not sure which).

My living room is 13ft x 13ft and whilst it would be nice to have a surround setup for movies I am worried that the KEF and Onkyo will have poor music performance.

What would be the most sensible solution?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
IMO if youre going to listen to more music than watch movies id go for a decent integrated amp with some good standmount speakers as you mentioned above.

IMO a NAD C352 (can be bought from superfi.co.uk at a good price) would be a good partner with the B&W 685 speakers plus adding decent mass-loadable stands and speaker cable would make them better :)

I personally am not a fan of the Marantz 'sound'. I find it a bit clinical and lacking sometimes.

It also depends on what music you listen to! That would give us some ideas of what separates you could look at.

With £700; a fairly decent set-up could be had if youre happy with 2nd hand items. eBay is a very good place to go!

John Duncan

I'd very much agree with d_a_n, get a music-centric system and watch films in stereo, is almost as satisfying (imho). Add a Beresford DAC to make the most of music from the PS3 though.....

jd

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Agreed, if music is more important, get a good hi-fi setup and run your home cinema through it. If you want to upgrade to surround sound at a later date, you can get an AV amp with pre-outs and hook it up to your stereo integrated amp.

A

Anonymous

I have never been satisfied with cheap home theatre system, but entry-level separates can be suprisingly enjoyable.

From what I read here the ADM9 by AVI UK are perfect for this streaming application.

Am I right in thinking this or do I not understanding these product, ADM9?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Only if you live in a terraced house.

Nope deffo not a terrace :)

I've been toying with the B&W PV1 sub-idea. Just to give that 'low-end' welly when i do watch films :)

Dod you think it'd match with my system JD?

Sorry to hijack the thread!

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the quick responses! I listen to electro/ hip-hop/ indie/ rock. Anything from the Who to Massive Attack so something quite lively and upfront would suit my needs ( not too bright tho). I am thinking the B&W 685s would be more suitable over the 686s?

As for the amp, Something from NAD could be the answer although I'm not too familiar with them. My friend had a Marantz amp and I found it quite bright sounding and the budget Rotel has no remote which would annoy me. Any other good amp choices for £250ish.

Would I just connect the PS3 up with the supplied PS3 Phono Cable to the Amp and then use a separate HDMI cable to the TV? Is this how it is done if the Stereo amp has no optical in?

Thanks

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I have the 685s and I think they are excellent speakers - get an audition first though as they're not to everyone's tastes. Make sure you put them on some decent weighty stands as well. They also lead to an excellent 5.1 setup (the 685 Home Theatre) if you ever decide to go that way in the future. I'll let someone else handle the stereo amp as I'm more of a Home Cinema bod!
headfi:Would I just connect the PS3 up with the supplied PS3 Phono Cable to the Amp and then use a separate HDMI cable to the TV? Is this how it is done if the Stereo amp has no optical in?
Indeed, you can do this and it works just fine.

A

Anonymous

headfi:

Thanks for the quick responses! I listen to electro/ hip-hop/ indie/ rock. Anything from the Who to Massive Attack so something quite lively and upfront would suit my needs ( not too bright tho). I am thinking the B&W 685s would be more suitable over the 686s?

As for the amp, Something from NAD could be the answer although I'm not too familiar with them. My friend had a Marantz amp and I found it quite bright sounding and the budget Rotel has no remote which would annoy me. Any other good amp choices for £250ish.

Would I just connect the PS3 up with the supplied PS3 Phono Cable to the Amp and then use a separate HDMI cable to the TV? Is this how it is done if the Stereo amp has no optical in?

Thanks

I just did reading up on their webpage - www.avihifi.com

It seems like the speakers have DAC inside and you connect optical from PS3 to AVI ADM9. This will improve sound a lot as PS3 DAC can't be that good.

From what I read on these forum AVI is big step from 600 series. 600 series is entry level.

http://whathifi.com/Review/AVI-ADM9/

A

Anonymous

At a £1000 I feel the active speakers are way out my pricerange. I am pretty set on a pair of B&Ws but sourcing a budget amp which is suitable for my music tasted might be more difficult. What amps are a good combo for the b&ws? The Marantz and the budget NAD are the only ones I am aware of.

John Duncan

The Rotel RA-04 is another very good option - I preferred it to the 6002. Go for the PM7001 over the PM6002 if you can afford it anyway, is lovely. The 6002 is still a fabulous buy though - 200 at Richers and Superfi.

jd

John Duncan

Or alternatively - join the club

emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

The more I think the more I think these PS3 straight into NAD amp IS NOT the solution for this approach.

I think these because the analogue out of PS3 cannot be that good. I think these need to add a DAC. But these ADM have DAC already and then the amp is matched to the driver. Plus the speaker looks like it is in next range up to 600 series at least.

I have yet to hear the ADM and I know not what it would cost in Euro as I cannot find dealer near Milan.

I think if in UK I would listen to these ADM AVI and even if too much budget, becuase man can decide if want to spend the extra if that much better. I had NAD and 600 series at college and it in hindsight played boom tizz.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
The problem with those AVI's are they are £1000, which is way above the NAD / Marantz / Rotel amp + an external DAC like the Beresford.
The PS3 isn't a bad CD player considering everything else it does, though it's obviously nowhere near as good a dedicated player at the same price.

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:(I say again - join the club) I would not join that club unless amp had optical in. PS3 must need DAC. If the source is poor it not matter how good the amp is if it is amplifying poor source.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
professorhat:The problem with those AVI's are they are £1000, which is way above the NAD / Marantz / Rotel amp + an external DAC like the Beresford.
The PS3 isn't a bad CD player considering everything else it does, though it's obviously nowhere near as good a dedicated player at the same price.

Having just read the WHF review of the ADM9 for the first time, I am amazed. They reckon the DAC inside the speaker is better than that in a Primare CD31!
In that case, they make massive sense. The OP would be bringing up the sound from the PS3 to a very high level, and at the same time getting speakers that destroy the B&W's

But of course... over budget.

T

the record spot

JohnDuncan:

Only if you live in a terraced house.

Or a tenement.

A

Anonymous

Oh wow that is a 3000 EUR CD player is it not?!

In which case I feel feed that PS into DAC! Unless I miss something and PS3 DAC is superb?

300 looks not much over budget is sound is substantial better, which I think it would be if better than Primare CD.;

John Duncan

santino.b.it:JohnDuncan:(I say again - join the club) I would not join that club unless amp had optical in. PS3 must need DAC. If the source is poor it not matter how good the amp is if it is amplifying poor source.

Agreed, I do think a DAC is required, but could come later.

A

Anonymous

If you use a Primare you would not need DAC as they so coloured you wouldn't hear the extra detail!

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Ah of course, just realised the budget includes the B&W 685s as well, bringing it closer than I thought it was. One thing that confuses me on the ADM9s is their ability to cope with other sources. My (albeit extremely limited) understanding of active speakers is, you only have one source hooked up to them. Is that different with the ADM9s? If not, then yes, they might be marvellous with the PS3, but it kind of limits your future requirements as I'm sure there's many things you'd want to hook up. And if 5.1 might possibly be a future thought, then I'm pretty sure you can forget about using the ADM9s with any 5.1 setup? Seems like a lot of compromises for a £1,000 system.
Please let me know if I'm wrong as I'd like to know too!

TRENDING THREADS