Best way to spend £700? Hifi or Home Cinema setup for PS3?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

John Duncan

santino.b.it:If you use a Primare you would not need DAC as they so coloured you wouldn't hear the extra detail!

But in a good way
emotion-5.gif

A

Anonymous

I yet to hear in flesh but on website it says "two optical input and one analogue input".

I would love you to demo these and tell me how compare to NAD/B&W. I expect ADM will blow them away!

A

Anonymous

If I were to go for the B&W 685s is it generally agreed that it would be best to match the PS3 with a budget Marantz/Rotel through RCA inputs and not connect the PS3 through optical and use the DAC on an AV Amp such as the new Sony 820?

I thought using the DAC on an AV amp would be better than the PS3's?

A

Anonymous

No. AV amps do not sound good for music.

AVI ADM9 are stereo excellence with DAC.

A

Anonymous

headfi wrote the following post at Sat, Jul 12 2008 5:39 PM:

"If I were to go for the B&W 685s is it generally agreed that it would be best to match the PS3 with a budget Marantz/Rotel through RCA inputs and not connect the PS3 through optical and use the DAC on an AV Amp such as the new Sony 820?

I thought using the DAC on an AV amp would be better than the PS3's?"

An av amp heavily compromises the sound you end up with, so much so even if an av amp did have a better dac I'd very much doubt you see an improvement (compared to a stereo amp). Ps3 directly connected to stereo amp is still not a solution I'd recommend, though.

Best for musical ability is to connect the ps3 to a cheap external dac like the beresford (100 pounds), then add a stereo amp like the Marantz/Rotel you mentioned.

TRENDING THREADS