Best way to secure standmount speakers and their stands?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Currently have stand mount speakers on a wooden floor. Speakers are fairly small MS902i. They are secured to stands by velcro...each side of the velcro has a sticky backing - one sticky side affixed to the stand and the other sticky side affixed to the base of the speaker then hey presto...the velcro does what it's meant to do and joins the two together. Found it much more secure than blu-tack, especially with two small children careering about the house. The speaker stands have long since lost their spikes in some house move or other. They are sited on a wooden floor which is not quite level. So I tried to level it out by using those sticky felt pads on the underside of the stand footplate (ie. those felt pads you put under chair legs to avoid damaging wooden floors). Is there a better way to do all this, as it seems faintly ridiculous to spent an arm and a leg on equipment held together by felt pads and velcro.

Thoughts:-

1. I can't see any way to get a more secure but not quite permanent fix on the speakers, so unless it's likely to be killing sound quality the velcro might have to stay for purely practical reasons? Any views on the sound issues there?

2. On the underside of the speakers I considered spikes located on top of small metal disks (or maybe just 2p coins with perhaps a small indentation drilled?) to save marking the new wooden floor? Would this make an appreciable difference to sound quality compared to the 4 or 5 felt pads currently on the underside of the stands?

3. Elsewhere, some folks had mentioned using granite chopping boards on which to stand the stands, and whilst that probably looks OK, on an uneven floor I thought the granite plinth would then itself be uneven and require levelling, just shifting the levelling problem from one surface to another rather than actually solving it. Or am I missing something?

4. If I eventually get bigger, heavier standmount speakers will that change anything?

Would be grateful for any advice before I go and waste 25p on new velcro. 

A

Anonymous

athenry:

3. Elsewhere, some folks had mentioned using granite chopping boards on which to stand the stands, and whilst that probably looks OK, on an uneven floor I thought the granite plinth would then itself be uneven and require levelling, just shifting the levelling problem from one surface to another rather than actually solving it. Or am I missing something?

Use only 3 felts instead of 4 or 5 felts under plinth and forget about leveling.

MattSPL

Jan 4, 2010
Visit site
I also have my speakers on stands on a wooden floor.

I use blue tac between speaker and stand. 4 balls between 1 and 2cm in diameter placed near the 4 corners of the stands top plate.

I then placed the speaker in the correct position on the stand and once i was happy with its position i would press my body weight down evenly on the top of the speaker. This creates a very good bond between the speaker and stand.

And underneath the stand it has 4 feet instead of spikes which i place on some smooth rubber mat about 2mm thick and to level out slightly i used folded paper under the necessary corners between mat and floor.

Large blobs of blue tac could be used instead of the rubber mat to level and secure the stand by pressing weight down again as above.

A

Anonymous

Thanks folks. I'll give some of those suggestions a go and see what happens. At least if the boards don't make much difference there's an alternate use, which is more than you can say about some of my previous duff hi fi purchases.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts