Rubber Buffer Feet for Speakers?

Nico69

Dec 28, 2019
Visit site
Just wondering what the thoughts on using rubber buffer feet on speakers in place of spikes is? My Dali's came with spikes or little rubber self adhesive pads to use. As I have stripped floors I'm currently using the spikes but in spike protector pucks.
Wondering if rubber levelling feet might be an option as per the photo attached.
What are your opinions over using the supplied (small) pads?
rubber foot.jpg

Reactions: Negatron

AndrewF

Feb 3, 2023
Visit site
Hard to imagine it would matter much, as long as they isolate the speaker from the floor (which this would seem to do).

(this is almost certainly the point at which I learn that audiophiles have intense feelings on this subject, sometimes involving extremely expensive, oxygen-free speaker spikes)

Reactions: Nico69

Noddy

Mar 16, 2023
www.EnglishFungi.org
I am sure you can get some audiophile grade suspension pads, for a large fortune. In this case why not just experiment. Play some music you know, with plenty of bass, then change the feet and listen again.

My book shelf speakers are on cork mats on top of metal stands. Listening determined that this worked.

Reactions: Nico69
The aim is for the speaker to be wobble-free at audio frequencies. That way, the cabinet doesn’t move and lose the relevant frequencies, or blur the image.

I would stick with what you’re using, as long as you have the patience to ensure the speaker is level and can’t move. I know spikes in pucks can be damn fiddly! If you need to scoot the speakers around for domestic reasons then firm rubber pads are fine. but stick on pads might not be perfectly level.

For stability, most manufacturers fit four - one in each corner - but obviously three (like a tripod) is intrinsically stable. Manufacturers have to minimise toppling and they don’t want crushed toddlers under their speakers - not good PR.

Something threaded - you need lock nuts - might be worth a try. A Hifi specific product will be costlier. The IsoAcoustics Gaia are great but too pricey for speakers like yours. These hard to find Soundcare feet are more reasonable. https://criterionaudio.com/product/soundcare-superspikes-for-loudspeakers-set-of-4/

Last edited:
Reactions: Negatron and Nico69

Juzzie Wuzzie

Just wondering what the thoughts on using rubber buffer feet on speakers in place of spikes is? My Dali's came with spikes or little rubber self adhesive pads to use. As I have stripped floors I'm currently using the spikes but in spike protector pucks.
Wondering if rubber levelling feet might be an option as per the photo attached.
What are your opinions over using the supplied (small) pads?
View attachment 4660
Nico69 - I am after the same for my Dalis (currently using the rubber feet that came with some STAV 24 stands). Can you let me know where you are sourcing the feet in the picture?

AndrewF

Feb 3, 2023
Visit site
As an aside, I made some DIY spike protectors that I've been pleased with. I bought some of those round felt pads that you stick onto the bottom of chair legs, and made a sandwich of two of those (sticky side in) with an American nickel. So, the spike sticks into the pad on top, but can't go through the coin, and then the floor is protected by the other pad. They work brilliantly and probably cost around $5 for 8 pads.

camcroft

Another uncarpeted room 😱
None of my business I know and it's often a choice of a dictator but:
Carpet will have a greater influence on sound than any feet or (God forbid) cables.
The room is very small width and length so not the most ideal and there is a sliding door to the left. I make the most of a bad situation and it sounds fine to me. Yes I agree with what you are saying there isn't really enough room to put a loose carpet anywhere. As far as soft furnishing thats were the missus comes into her own I never listen without her in the room.

Reactions: Negatron and Gray

Negatron

Mar 14, 2023
Visit site
Was wondering when the Canadians would chime in.
I live in Mexico...moved from USA. The hockey pucks I use are blanks. I have heard some people use their spiked feet and drill a slight hole in the hockey pucks and place the spikes in them to protect the floors. I use hockey pucks and drill a hole all the way through (recessed for the head of the screw) and attach to the speakers. My speakers weigh over 200lbs and are hard to move, so I also attach a felt strip to the bottom of the pucks.

Reactions: Al ears and AndrewF

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts