Best value TV for SD picture.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I'm looking to replace an old 32" CRT which is taking up too much room in the back room, so I'm looking for a 32" (or at a push a 37" if the price is right) to wall mount and reclaim some space.

The room in question only has an aerial and an SD Sky+ box however, so there will be no HD source (and I can pretty much guarantee we won't be getting any FreeviewHD channels anytime soon, we switched over to digital in 2009 and that was the first time we'd had ANY digital transmissions at all, we didn't even have analogue Channel 5!), so I'm really only interested in the best SD performance through SCART.

One other thing, I'm not interested in paying £800 for a 32" TV or anything daft like that, it won't get used enough to justify it. I might push it out to £400 but really the cheaper the better.

Any ideas?

scene

Best bet might be a clearance 32" / 37" plasma...

Depends where you are? RS in Newcastle have a Panny TH37PX80 going for £399.95. It's only HD-Ready, but it's a good TV (I looked at it while back when thinking of replacing my old Sony 32KDL-V2000), and for SD HD-Ready quite often looks better.

On the LCD front, and more widely available
emotion-5.gif
, the Toshiba 32AV635 is a good SD performer, seen it at around £350.

A

Anonymous

Both Philips (7, 8, 9 series ), Sony ( V, W ) and Samsung got very good scores for SD signal. Some of latest Samsungs has a reflective glass which may not work in a well lit places. Eventually it will come down to a price, personal taste for TV design, and customer service. Samsung really sucks in the latter. Makes your choice quite easy.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
hazarin:Both Philips (7, 8, 9 series ), Sony ( V, W ) and Samsung got very good scores for SD signal. Some of latest Samsungs has a reflective glass which may not work in a well lit places. Eventually it will come down to a price, personal taste for TV design, and customer service. Samsung really sucks in the latter. Makes your choice quite easy.

Well the room is barely lit (is has a pool table in it, the only lights are the table lights), so reflections and TV design frankly don't matter as they'll hardly be visible, neither does customer service if I'm honest, if it has to go back it'll be through the retailer. Philips and Sony are all very nice, but they're not what I'd call good value, a local stockist has a 32" Sony that's knocking on a grand in price, that's just stupid.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
scene:Best bet might be a clearance 32" / 37" plasma...

Well quite, but which ones, that's the question?

Depends where you are? RS in Newcastle

Bristol and the South West I'm afraid!

and for SD HD-Ready quite often looks better.

Yes, so they say, I'll bear that in mind.

On the LCD front, and more widely available
emotion-5.gif
, the Toshiba 32AV635 is a good SD performer, seen it at around £350.

Ok cheers.

scene

OK - so no trip to Geordie land for you then....

The Panny TX-P37X10 (HD-ready) is easy to get hold of, but as its £450 at cheapest I didn't mention it as over your budget, but you might want to have a shufty....

A

Anonymous

b4udirectdotcom gives you a price for 32 V5500 at 447 delivered. Though I agree even that is a bit too high for 32.

May be LG will be a better bet. 32LG gives you 320 on amazon.

A

Anonymous

this is only hd ready , but at 32in that would be fine , nice price £307 with 5 year warranty ....

this has a feature called resolution + , it really enhances sd pictures , and its full hd £385 with 5 years...

this is the smallest sized plasma , hd ready , but deep blacks , v audio surround sound , perfect for sd in a dimly lit room £476 though , not sure about the warranty ....

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn: this is only hd ready , but at 32in that would be fine , nice price £307 with 5 year warranty ....

Yes I'd seen that offer, or the £280 12 month guarantee offer anyway, interesting one that, could well be a winner. Be nice if it had been reviewed of course...

this has a feature called resolution + , it really enhances sd pictures , and its full hd £385 with 5 years...

this is the smallest sized plasma , hd ready , but deep blacks , v audio surround sound , perfect for sd in a dimly lit room £476 though , not sure about the warranty ....

I'd have to do some measuring to make sure I could accomodate a 37-incher, depends where I end up fixing the bracket to be honest.

A

Anonymous

Try the Richer Sounds sales section on their website - there seems to be a lot of good prices on sets around the size you're looking for.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
That's where the offer above came from, it's not the prices I need to find, it's whether the sets are actually any good with SD broadcasts that's the main point of the question.

A

Anonymous

The Samsung xxB650's are handling SD as good as anything out there.

I have the 46" in our living room and even the crappiest SD channels are watchable.

I'm saving to get the 32" version for the bedroom and the kitchen.

Sure, the 32B650 is around 550 Pounds right now but worth it. You also get direct playback from USB as well as networking.

A

Anonymous

the b650 is very good with sd , but its well over budget , and i dont know if its benefits would be so great at 32,37in ....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts