Best Speakers for Cyrus: DACXp+, CDSE XT, Mono 2000

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
After going over my original budget by picking up ex-demo/used Cyrus products (I finally went for Cyrus as it personally satisfied my ears for electronic music)..I am now looking for pair of good speakers to bring the best out of the Cyrus CDXT SE, Cyrus X Mono 200(2), Cyrus Dac XP+(ex demos going at a good discount at http://nottinghamhificentre.co.uk/wp/?page_id=574 if anyones looking).

I have a maximum budget of £1000, and have looked into TANNOY: Revolution DC6 T SE http://www.whathifi.com/review/tannoy-revolution-dc6t-se- but if there's anything better or worth looking into please do let me know - Much appreciated. Oh must be able to handle good bass!

gregvet

Dec 24, 2008
Visit site
New speakers at that budget, I would be looking at Kef R300's or ex demo R500's if you can find any close to £1000. Alternatively PMC GB1i's or TB2i's, again ex demo at that price, go really well with the Cyrus.

Second hand you will get a lot more for your money, and I would be looking at Vienna Accoustics, Spendor, as well as Kef/PMC.

To be honest, I would have spent less on the cyrus kit, and more on the speakers, but thats just my opinion. Unless you plan to upgrade again in the not to distant future, of course ;)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
This is an easy one. I remember the last guy who bought a Cyrus system because of his love of electronic music - he bought KEF Reference 205/2's for the same reason (with X300 monos). Unfortunately, your budget prohibits Reference unless you look at older models (maybe the Reference Model 3.2 or 4.2), but the newer R series could be considered better in many ways as far as mid and treble are concerned. As gregvet mentions, an ex-demo or B Grade pair of R500's will work extremely nicely with the Cyrus system. The reason I recommend these is because of their clean presentation, and the bass depth and control they're capable, without the excessive cabinet harmonies that let down many speakers.

I don't like recommending KEF too much as it then looks like I'm biased, but the truth is that they do a lot of things right, and with their many positive features, they'll suit many different people/systems for many reasons. Give them a try and see what you think - at the end of the day, it's what you like the sound of. Being into varying types of electronic music myself, I think you'll be glad you gave them a try :)

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
I have ProAc Studio 115 and i think they go beautifully with my Cyrus gear.. Sound awesome with bass heavy stuff like Skruillex and hip hop.. They do a Studio 140 (floorstander) which could handle a lot more volume/ bass which you could easily pick up for 1k.. I think they wouldn't hold back the performance of your other components one bit considering the price tag..

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
A bit off subject i know.. But has anyone compared a set up like mine (amp wise) to DAC XP and mono's? Wondering if the presentation is brighter or more critical? Heard some people saying they find it to anylitical and looses musicality? But then i've heard a million different opinions of Cyrus.. Just wondering whether to keep with x power and get another (in mono) or go all out and get x200 or x300 and possibly DAC XP.. Thanks guys x

BronC

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
BigColz - I've upgraded cyrus over the years. Its worth getting then additional x-power (on e-bay) and running them in mono. There is a noticable improvement in SQ in my opinion. The re-sale vale on ebay is fairly stable so you should not loose much money when you sell them on and get you x200 (or even 300).

Also - just to open up another can of worms - I do belive speaker cables and interconnects to affect the sound of Cyrus. I have tried Chord and Tellorium. The Tellorium does make the cyrus sound different to the Chord. I prefer the sound of the Tellorium - so that is what I have got!!

BronC

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Staycool - there are some good Spendor ex-demo and used bargains around. Its worth listening to them locally and then phoning around some stores and see what they have got.

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Thanks a lot for your advice BronC. I think i will def go another x-power next.. Then possibly power supply for Streamer.. I have chord epic's at the momnent and i'm pretty happy with them.. I'm currently using the cyrus interconnect from pre -> power which seems brilliant.. I do however need to buy an interconnect going from my streamer -> Pre amp at some point (as i'm skint and used an old one to run it in).. . People have recommended to buy chord to match the speaker cables.. But may try some Tellorium if i can get some on demo..

As for the difference from x-power's in mono too Mono x200 or x300 what would you say the main differences are? I imagine the more power gives it better dynamics and depth.. But is it simply better all round? More detail, seperation of instruments that wonderfull airy Cyrus sound? Or does it have a slightly different presentation ie less bottom end etc?

Sorry for hijacking again
smiley-embarassed.gif

BronC

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
BigColz - I had 2 x-powers in mono. I home demoed the x200's. They were bigger in everyway. More controlled base much more solid sound stage. I could hear things I had not noticed before. When I shut my eyes I could not "see the speakers".

I haved up the money and bought the x300's as I was told they were even better. I am glad I did. They are almost as big a step up from the 200's as the 200's are from the x-powers. I suggest that you home demo the x200's sometime when you are cklose to being able to upgrade and see what you think.

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
Wow really?? That is crazy.. When i heard my set up now over the 8 integrated I thought thats was twice as good. So to think that could be doubled again and again is almost unbelievable.. I think mine sound amazing now so lots to look forward too then :D I may aswell save up and go for the X300's.. On the Pre side of things mine vs DAC XP? Thanks for your advice! :D

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
BigColz said:
On the pre side i meant The difference in the pre-amp performance as i know the DAC will be better..

Satycool: Soz again for hi-jacking here's a link to the ProAc's.. http://www.whathifi.com/review/proac-studio-140-mk2

Def worth a try in my opinion, I love mine and will prob get these next when I have a big enough room for them :)

Same here if I had a bigger room - I actually don't want the room to be dominated by the size of the speakers!

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
BigColz said:
On the pre side i meant The difference in the pre-amp performance as i know the DAC will be better..

Satycool: Soz again for hi-jacking here's a link to the ProAc's.. http://www.whathifi.com/review/proac-studio-140-mk2

Def worth a try in my opinion, I love mine and will prob get these next when I have a big enough room for them :)

Same here if I had a bigger room - I actually don't want the room to be dominated by the size of the speakers!

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
BigColz said:
Wow really?? That is crazy.. When i heard my set up now over the 8 integrated I thought thats was twice as good. So to think that could be doubled again and again is almost unbelievable.. I think mine sound amazing now so lots to look forward too then :D I may aswell save up and go for the X300's.. On the Pre side of things mine vs DAC XP? Thanks for your advice! :D

I'll confirm, for what it's worth, that the newer monos (X200 and X300) are considerably better than X Powers being used in mono mode. It's a more fairer comparison with the older Mono X's, but the newer design, which is a complete redesign over the Mono X's, is not only better as far as quality is concerned, but also in their ability to drive more awkward and demanding loads.

The DACxp+ is also quite a vast difference over any of their other pre-amps. Its transparency and detail level is quite astonishing sometimes, and we'd actually place it above the likes of Bryston's two box BP26, which is an extra couple of £k. I'd definitely recommend going with balanced interconnects for a DACxp+/X300 system too - so much more open and vivid.

toyota man

Apr 22, 2009
Visit site
IMO kef r500 are much better all round than the cm8s and well worth £1500 If your lucky you will find an exdem pair for a grand good luck:) :)

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi satycool

Did you audition? If so then what speakers did you hear these Cyrus electronics with please?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

The Cyrus set up was with B&W CM9 speakers in a 10m+9m room. The speakers did sound organic, airy, vibrant with impressive depth and impessive clear treble and deep bass. If I had the money and larger room I would consider them - they look beautiful too. Due to my meduim size room I am keeping an eye on the CM8's instead (ex-demo/used) - though only the CM8's got 4/5 here on WHF, they do seem to be getting a lot of praise from customer reviews.

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I think I might need to start looking at Bookshelf Speakers due there more reasonable size for the room - Is there any real sound difference in sound with Floorsanding compared to Bookshelf as they are quiet similar in price ?

satycool said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Hi satycool

Did you audition? If so then what speakers did you hear these Cyrus electronics with please?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

The Cyrus set up was with B&W CM9 speakers in a 10m+9m room. The speakers did sound organic, airy, vibrant with impressive depth and impessive clear treble and deep bass. If I had the money and larger room I would consider them - they look beautiful too. Due to my meduim size room I am keeping an eye on the CM8's instead (ex-demo/used) - though only the CM8's got 4/5 here on WHF, they do seem to be getting a lot of praise from customer reviews.

Hi satycool

Thanks for your reply.

Fair enough. If you're happy to consider demo/used speakers then as an alternative to the CM8's I'll recommend that you should also look at Dynaudio's Excite X32 speakers as you might be able to find a pair around your budget. Excite X32's are relatively compact designs and are also good at reproducing electronic music. Fwiw, in my experience Cyrus electronics generally pair well Dynaudio speakers :)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

BigColz said:
I may aswell save up and go for the X300's.. On the Pre side of things mine vs DAC XP? Thanks for your advice! :D

Hi BigColz

I feel that Cyrus Power amplifiers can benefit from better quality of pre amplification. If the size of the Cyrus components appeals to you then Antelope Audio'S Zodiac Gold 384 kHz DAC is also worth a look as you'll also benefit from superior digital to analogue conversion. The Zodiac Gold 384 kHz DAC can also have its performance enhanced by the optional Voltikus PSU power supply.

As an alternative to the Zodiac Gold 384 kHz DAC i would also suggest pairing the Cyrus X Power and Mono X 300's with Resonessence Labs Invicta DAC/Pre Amp.

http://www.antelopeaudio.com/en/products/Zodiac-Gold-DAC

http://resonessencelabs.com/

Btw, I just want to be clear that i don't benefit at all by recommending Antelope Audio and Resonessence Labs as i don't deal with these makes.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
Similar dilemma myself (self-induced) as I have CM8s powered in mono by two Xpowers. (listening part of room is about 3.5m x 4.5m)

After looking at different options for potentially "upgrading" from the CM8s (I was suggested Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Baby Grand, PMC Twenty-24, and Kef R700 or R900), instead I'm going to upgrade my PreXpdQx to a DAC XP+, and then consider mono 200 or 300s. I had a taster of the DAC XP+ in my system, and there was an instant smile moment!

Main reason is that I think I can get more out of the CM8s than I do currently.

They are great speakers with the Cyrus, and giving them more power (and volume) seems to help a lot.

The CM8s aren't particularly strong in the bass department (go with CM9s if you want that) but with mid-range vocals and acoustics etc they really shine.

BigColz

Jun 18, 2012
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
BigColz said:
I may aswell save up and go for the X300's.. On the Pre side of things mine vs DAC XP? Thanks for your advice! :D

Hi BigColz

I feel that Cyrus Power amplifiers can benefit from better quality of pre amplification. If the size of the Cyrus components appeals to you then Antelope Audio'S Zodiac Gold 384 kHz DAC is also worth a look as you'll also benefit from superior digital to analogue conversion. The Zodiac Gold 384 kHz DAC can also have its performance enhanced by the optional Voltikus PSU power supply.

As an alternative to the Zodiac Gold 384 kHz DAC i would also suggest pairing the Cyrus X Power and Mono X 300's with Resonessence Labs Invicta DAC/Pre Amp.

http://www.antelopeaudio.com/en/products/Zodiac-Gold-DAC

http://resonessencelabs.com/

Btw, I just want to be clear that i don't benefit at all by recommending Antelope Audio and Resonessence Labs as i don't deal with these makes.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Thanks Rick,

Always good to hear some alternative routes.. It would be nice to have a high end DAC in the pre amp but not essential.. I'm more interested in the Pre amp performance as i'll be using the Naim streamer 95% of the time, but it seems a lot of these Pre-amps come with one but so hey.. Maybe that % will drop if I get a decent CD transport in the future and run that through the DAC XP (or alternative).. Problem I'd have is if I really upgrade my amp section will my streamer be holding it back? I don't really want to use the digital out on my streamer to bypass the internal DAC as it will loose the sound i like and prefer the all-in-one box sound as they're designed to work together and sounds great.. I'm guessing the DAC in my streamer is around on par with my Pre xpd QX..

The reason i went for the Naim streamer is my taste in music, the Cyrus sound is amazing with a lot of music with acoustic/female vocals etc (and i could use the transport for this), But I loved the way the Naim boosted the low/mids and punch for most music i listen too like punk rock/hardcore/Hip Hop/Electronic/Dub/reggae (i know not your typical high end buyer right ;) but never sounded harsh or too in your face as i found with the Naim amps and amp/streamers (my opinion only).. A bit annoying that the NDX doesn't have the same spec DAC as their stand a lone DAC otherwise i'd just buy that.. I guess i could buy the Naim DAC but then i'll have 2 high end DAC's and still want power supply to get the most out of it (not the end of the world i suppose but more cash)..

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Urm :? ..Do all these mid-high ranged floorstands/bookshelf speakers require power supply from the wall ? I just realized that as I was planning to put the speakers on opposite side of the room form the Cyrus Dac XP!!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts