Best Bookshelf LOUD speakers for Cyrus Hi-Fi

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I've just destroyed my used B&W PM1's! Good sounding speakers but have realized they can't cope played loud - and very AAAHHH about it! Now looking for preferably Bookshelf speakers that sound great and loud. My limit is £1500. Did like my PM1's which I got a very good used price but did feel a little lacking in bass and struggled when played loud . Want something that works well with the Cyrus Mono's. Room size (inc the usual living room furniture] is 8m by 8m.

Many Thanks.

Cyrus Signature CDXT, Mono 300, Dac XP

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Is the key if you really want to play loud.

You want at least 90dB per watt, this will be the equivilent of increasing the power of your amplifier by a factor of 4, and should be enough.

If you play really loud, look for an even higher rating than that.

However, you will be lucky to find anything bookshelf sized that can do that.

gasolin

You have this amp ? http://www.cyrusaudio.com/products/power-amplifiers/mono-x-300-signature

That is 1x319watt in 6 ohm

What hifi spec about the B&W PM1 say 8 ohm and 84 db with 100 watt rms

Mabye the Dynaudio Emit 20 86 db but 4 ohm and 150 watt+ rms or Exite X16/18

Monitor audio silver 100 120 watt and 88 db max spl is over 110db and has a 8" woofer

Might not sound as good as the PM1's but should be able to handle more power and and still sound go

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
gasolin said:
You have this amp ? http://www.cyrusaudio.com/products/power-amplifiers/mono-x-300-signature

That is 1x319watt in 6 ohm

What hifi spec about the B&W PM1 say 8 ohm and 84 db with 100 watt rms

Mabye the Dynaudio Emit 20 86 db but 4 ohm and 150 watt+ rms or Exite X16/18

Monitor audio silver 100 120 watt and 88 db max spl is over 110db and has a 8" woofer

Might not sound as good as the PM1's but should be able to handle more power and and still sound go

Power handling is rarely the issue, unless you wish to play heavily compressed recordings at ear shattering levels.

Any decent recording should have some dynamic range so I would expect the peaks to be 10dB (or better) above the average. Played loud, but not clipped, the power amp should produce peaks of 300-ish watts, so the average will be about 30 watts, not that big a problem.

Speaker sensitivity makes a huge difference, every 3 dB 'extra' sensitivity a speaker has is the same as doubling the the power of the amplifier, or to put it another way, PM1s are 84dB/watt, so a 90 dB/watt speaker will go just as loud on a quarter of the power.

This makes all the difference when you are striving for extra volume.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
satycool said:
Thanks wasn't even aware of that! Will keep an eye out. Wish I could go for larger speakers just I don't have the space :(
Wow, you don't have the space in an 8m x 8m room?!

That's larger than my room.

What if you went for corner horns? The sort of speakers that sit 1 inch from the corners of your room. Would you have room for them?

For bookshelves you could try Klipsch Heresys. Please give them as much bass reinforcement as you can as they are very lean without it. The Heresys do have a wonderfully wide open dynamic midrange.

And to say that PM1's have bass that is a bit lacking is an understatement. I found their bass far too distorted for my tastes at generous (but not too loud) volumes.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:

You want at least 90dB per watt, this will be the equivilent of increasing the power of your amplifier by a factor of 4, and should be enough.

Looking at specs some makers only state the sensitivity but others like atc also give a max spl

Id like to hear your thoughts on this please(for my own info) i presume we all have on this a good power amp and plenty of headroom.

Cheers

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
No bookshelf speaker will give you insane loudness levels and all of them will compress dynamics in some ways.

You can't cheat physics (well, Devialet seems to have achieved it somehow) but small drivers will run into serious bass distortion at volume.

Perhaps get something with overload protection so at least you're not writing them off everytime you have a twitching trigger hand.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
davedotco said:

Looking at specs some makers only state the sensitivity but others like atc also give a max spl

Id like to hear your thoughts on this please(for my own info) i presume we all have on this a good power amp and plenty of headroom.

Cheers

In theory sensitivity x max power will give you max spl, it's that simple, whether you use peak or continuous figures.

In reality it is more complicated, decent recordings should have peaks that are much higher than average levels, for modern recordings 10dB is realistic. So a 200wpc amplifier will typically produce peaks of around 280 watts (200 x √2) and an average of 28 watts. So for the 84dB/watt speaker above, this relates to peaks of about 108 dB, average of about 98 dB. (obviously)

But this takes no account of the amplifiers ability to produce this power in a sustained manner, many would struggle, so the calculated (as opposed to measured) dB ratings should be looked at with a degree of caution. Similarly, speakers suffer from dynamic compression, ie twice the power may not even at modest levels, quite, raise the level by 3 dB, this is particularly noticeable at higher levels where the suspension is no longer linear and the impedance of the speaker rises due to thermal effects.

Obviously these effects will vary depending on the quality/capability of the amp and speakers, so a high efficiency speaker may well exhibit less dynamic compression than a low efficiancy design, this is easily heard and for some listeners, very important.

This is a big subject, the above is only a starting point, feel free to ask if it does not answer the points you were thinking of.

gasolin

drummerman said:
No bookshelf speaker will give you insane loudness levels and all of them will compress dynamics in some ways.

You can't cheat physics (well, Devialet seems to have achieved it somehow) but small drivers will run into serious bass distortion at volume.

Perhaps get something with overload protection so at least you're not writing them off everytime you have a twitching trigger hand.

Mabye

Buchardt s300 (for bass) or the Svs ultra (for spl) bookshelf speakers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4NEeoYoLj4

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
davedotco said:
Andrewjvt said:
davedotco said:

Cheers

In theory sensitivity x max power will give you max spl, it's that simple, whether you use peak or continuous figures.

In reality it is more complicated, decent recordings should have peaks that are much higher than average levels, for modern recordings 10dB is realistic. So a 200wpc amplifier will typically produce peaks of around 280 watts (200 x √2) and an average of 28 watts. So for the 84dB/watt speaker above, this relates to peaks of about 108 dB, average of about 98 dB. (obviously)

But this takes no account of the amplifiers ability to produce this power in a sustained manner, many would struggle, so the calculated (as opposed to measured) dB ratings should be looked at with a degree of caution. Similarly, speakers suffer from dynamic compression, ie twice the power may not even at modest levels, quite, raise the level by 3 dB, this is particularly noticeable at higher levels where the suspension is no longer linear and the impedance of the speaker rises due to thermal effects.

Obviously these effects will vary depending on the quality/capability of the amp and speakers, so a high efficiency speaker may well exhibit less dynamic compression than a low efficiancy design, this is easily heard and for some listeners, very important.

This is a big subject, the above is only a starting point, feel free to ask if it does not answer the points you were thinking of.

For now im satisfied but ny mind has opened a new door.
Thank for the info

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I think that is the problem, bookshelf speakers and a 8 x 8m room. i don't understand why you need small speakers in a room that size? Really you would be better off with some sensitive floorstands which you should be able to find for £1,500.

gasolin

BigH said:
I think that is the problem, bookshelf speakers and a 8 x 8m room. i don't understand why you need small speakers in a room that size? Really you would be better off with some sensitive floorstands which you should be able to find for £1,500.

Mabye he is married

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
gasolin said:
BigH said:

Mabye he is married

Yes wife, kid, furniture, work bench, shelving, room deco,, tv plus cabniet all eat into the space! I would love to get larger speakers but space is a problem. I do ove loud music, when possible to play loud, and do need to get it right this time round. I bought the PM1's as I go an amazing deal on them, probably due to the wear and marks on the speakers, which were adiquate but I did feel they needed more ooph & bass (though this could be due to the rooms size] , did end up damaging them when I got over excited playing loud. Corner speakers would be nice but again due to room deco is a problem.

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks everyone, Am looking into each speaker mentioned on this forum. DId find the below speaker review ATC SCM19, but are 85db not 90db as mentioned on this forum. 300watts which is 200 more then the PM1's I once had, so hopefully can handle loudness better. Great size and looks cool, hopefullly will find a used pair or wait for price drop if suitable and best suited, and then checked and compared to the others listed on this forum, to see which is the for Cyrus system.

http://www.whathifi.com/atc/scm19/review?oq=atc%20scm19&src="dropdown&aq=product%3Aatc/scm19/review&type=productpos=top"

Kellytm272

Dec 28, 2009
Visit site
A smaller room than yours, so this may make a difference - mine is 3m by 6.5m. I had Cyrus mono X and it took a lot of trial and error to get speakers that sounded right within my system. Tried Dynaudio dm2/6, Spendor A5R, mission 751. Eventually I got a good deal on the Focal Aria 906 and the corresponding stands. A brand I hadn't heard much about, but the speakers sound superb on the end of the Cyrus amps. As stated previously, their sensitivity is high, so volume should be loud too

gasolin

Kellytm272 said:
A smaller room than yours, so this may make a difference - mine is 3m by 6.5m. I had Cyrus mono X and it took a lot of trial and error to get speakers that sounded right within my system. Tried Dynaudio dm2/6, Spendor A5R, mission 751. Eventually I got a good deal on the Focal Aria 906 and the corresponding stands. A brand I hadn't heard much about, but the speakers sound superb on the end of the Cyrus amps. As stated previously, their sensitivity is high, so volume should be loud too

And you use Dynaudio DM 2/6 according to you signature?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts