Speaker Cables for Cyrus to B&W PM1 Speakers - Which Ones ?

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Hi, finally on the last stage of setting up my Cyrus system after going way over my original budget on used/ex-demo Cyrus products, speakers, and rack!...I am now left with one last part before I can finally sit back and listen - The Speaker Cables!!!

Not sure if I should go Bi-amping the speakers to amp or not ? The speakers are approx 12ft away from the hi-fi so would proably need 14ft of cable from B&W PM1 speakers to Cyrus DACXP+/Mono X200 amps.

Looking for cables that work the sound well and are not over priced, as prices do seem to go rather high on some makes, also is it better to connect by Bi-amping or not ?

Thanks

Cyrus Dac XP+, CDSE XT, Mono X 200, B&W PM1 Speakers.

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Confused/Lost Again! :doh: :doh: :quest:

Bought 2x 6mm Van Damme Blue Speaker cables for Cyrus amp and B&W speakers.

Received today but have noticed they have Spade (width: 10mm Upper to Lower 6mm) plugs attached connectors to the cables at both ends. I can't see how these will fit on the Mono X 200 and but are okay with B&W PM1 speakers....Will I have to cut the Spade (10mm Upper to Lower 6mm) plugs off and then attach correct plugs that plug into to the Mono X 200 - If so which ones do I go for ? Is there any way of connectiing them to the amp using a Spade Plug Adaptor ?

Thanks for your help! Again!!!!

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Thanks - I just discovered the Cyrus plugs in the box inside after having a proper look (just recently got the Cyrus system and was waiting for the cables to arrive so never looked beyond the amp itself - looked at the back of the amp and thought OH NO when cables came!)...Hopefully now I can finally get to listen :)

DandyCobalt

Oct 8, 2010
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
This is why you have your friendly local dealer :)

There is no way to plug a spade into the X200's. Chop them off and use the plugs that came with the power amps.

But your friendly local dealer probably wouldn't have them in stock |(

(Do dealers/hifi shops actually "stock" anything these days?)

A

Anonymous

I have recently purchased PM1's with Cyrus 8DAC, XPower and PSX-R. I'm using Chord Odyssey speaker cable. Driving them from the XPower delivers a fuller, richer sound with a tighter, punchier bass. I'm sure your Mono X200's will be even better. I have to say though that I marginally prefer the treble from the 8DAC as it sounds cleaner and more transparent but this may be due to the relative absence of a more prominent bass to distract you.

But I have been experimenting:

Using Chord Signature bridging links rather than the ones supplied with the speakers is well worth it IMHO.

I have used (the dealers) Chord Carnival cable and the bass is much muddier, nowhere near as punchy or defined as with the Odyssey.

I have tried bi-amping (8DAC and Carnival to treble, XPower and Odyssey to bass) and don't like the sound as much. It sounds less coherent, instruments are harder to place on the soundstage and mid-range is less well defined - and that's one of the PM1's great strengths.

I have some more experimentation to do with bi-wiring and switching the configurations of cable and amplifier and if any combination is significantly different I will post again.

I would be interested to hear how you get on with the X200's and bi-wiring or bi-amping (how many of those do you have?)

Hope this is of some help with the cabling, bi-amping question.

satycool

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Will get back about the sound on Mono X 200/PM1 once the system is set-up properly (have to re-arrange the room to benefit the Cyrus and speakers, and due to plug sockets and space). Already bough Van Damme Blue 6mm cable which did get praise by users and also due to its price, so hoping it will sound good once set-up. Will be using spade gold connections to the Pm1 speakers which were supplied with the cable , and the original red/black Cyrus Mono X 200 supplied plugs to each amp; probably won't try Bi-amping/wiring at the moment - will try it later though once everything is set and am use to its non bi-amp/wired sound!...Oh got two Mono X 200 which I bought ex-demo. Probably already had a good runn-in time - haven't switched them onn yet since I got them (approx 3weeks+) due to building and waiting for system units (got them seperately) and room arrangements.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts