£1500 to spend on speakers....I have two thoughts. What would you do?

mushroomgod

May 25, 2009
Visit site
So....Lucky me gets to buy some new speakers. I have a £1500 budget (to go with my nad amp/rega turntable)

In the past Iv been a very keen B&W Fan - iv liked the way they sound and they look lovely - which to be fair is really only a bonus to keep my wife happy.

But heres the thing - I was quite happy to settle with a set of B&W CM8s which have had good but not great reviews. So it would be silly for me to just buy those without looking into alternative options..

So after a good look around the Tannoy Revolution DC6T SE caught my eye, every review iv read rates them very highly, and they are £500 cheaper. Although the cost if a non issue - I simply want the best speaker within budget.

The other option (though I can find no reviews) is to save a little longer with the option of buying some Tannoy Precision 6.2 (£1700)

Taking the cost out of the equation - which would you say is the better speaker?

Alternativly - if anyone has any other surgestions to spend my £1500 im all ears

rich51080

Jul 24, 2007
Visit site
I would go for the Tannoy Revolution DC6T SE as they are great value for money and are in my opinion as good as a lot of speakers in the 3k catergory. Really good bass extension coupled with great dynamics. I myself am considering getting a pair.

Pete68

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
£1500 on new speakers - Happy Days!!

I'm interested in where this thread goes as I will soon be in the same position. I was concidering ATC SCM 19's at £1800 but may have to look at something a little cheaper. Have you a preference to standmounts or floorstanders?

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
mushroomgod said:
So....Lucky me gets to buy some new speakers. I have a £1500 budget (to go with my nad amp/rega turntable)

In the past Iv been a very keen B&W Fan - iv liked the way they sound and they look lovely - which to be fair is really only a bonus to keep my wife happy.

But heres the thing - I was quite happy to settle with a set of B&W CM8s which have had good but not great reviews. So it would be silly for me to just buy those without looking into alternative options..

So after a good look around the Tannoy Revolution DC6T SE caught my eye, every review iv read rates them very highly, and they are £500 cheaper. Although the cost if a non issue - I simply want the best speaker within budget.

The other option (though I can find no reviews) is to save a little longer with the option of buying some Tannoy Precision 6.2 (£1700)

Taking the cost out of the equation - which would you say is the better speaker?

Alternativly - if anyone has any other surgestions to spend my £1500 im all ears

You are lucky indeed. With that money and an open mind to alternative ideas, my recommendation is the AVI ADM 9RSS.

For this money you will get a pair of stand-mount active speakers consisting of remote controlled pre and power amps together with an onboard DAC, power and interconnect cables and remote handset. There are 2 digital and 1 analogue inputs to feed these exceptionally musical speakers that have unfatiguing sound at all listening levels.

In my experience they are something you can not afford to miss out on. When I purchased my 9 series ADMs [an earlier model] I was taken aback by just how good they are. Give your ears a treat and investigate the AVI ADM 9 RSS.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Sospri

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
relocated said:
mushroomgod said:

You are lucky indeed. With that money and an open mind to alternative ideas, my recommendation is the AVI ADM 9RSS.

For this money you will get a pair of stand-mount active speakers consisting of remote controlled pre and power amps together with an onboard DAC, power and interconnect cables and remote handset. There are 2 digital and 1 analogue inputs to feed these exceptionally musical speakers that have unfatiguing sound at all listening levels.

In my experience they are something you can not afford to miss out on. When I purchased my 9 series ADMs [an earlier model] I was taken aback by just how good they are. Give your ears a treat and investigate the AVI ADM 9 RSS.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Here we go again...............

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
mushroomgod said:

ADM9 would be my suggestion and you might need a phono stage for your TT.

You could then lose the NAD amp.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I think ADM9s are a valid alternative suggestion.

If I had £1500, just for speakers, I would be telephoning Harbeth to order a pair of P3ESRs right now. But I realise these might not be appropriate to the OP's needs.

Sospri

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Overdose said:
mushroomgod said:

Did the OP say he wanted to lose his Nad ?

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Suggesting active speakers is fair enough, althought you'd think that the Xeos might be more appropriate, except that for £1500 the NAD/new speaker combo would probably outperform the AVIs and Xeos comfortably. Magnepans certainly would.

I like the Harbeth idea, although a touch bass light, and would add the Neat floor standers, too.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
Suggesting active speakers is fair enough, althought you'd think that the Xeos might be more appropriate, except that for £1500 the NAD/new speaker combo would probably outperform the AVIs and Xeos comfortably. Magnepans certainly would.

I like the Harbeth idea, although a touch bass light, and would add the Neat floor standers, too.

That would depend on the model of 'NAD', however the suggestion of using active speakers, in particular the ADM9s would negate the need to worry about such things as 'synergy' so often fretted over. I'm in the more power the better camp for amps and this usually means a lot more money and possibly budget busting.

The Xeos do indeed offer something similar, but having tried the BM5As from Dynaudio, I didn't consider them to be as good. The Xeos also suffer from being limited in their ideal placement due to being rear ported.

The ADM9s, all things considered, would still be my choice.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Sospri said:
Overdose said:
mushroomgod said:

Did the OP say he wanted to lose his Nad ?

"Alternativly - if anyone has any other surgestions to spend my £1500 im all ears"

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
What speakers do you have at the moment?

Also, since you like B&W, why not get them?

Whatever, demos are firmly recommended for any speaker, by the way, you cannot rely on other people's opinions - even mine!

jockey.wilson

Jan 27, 2009
Visit site
mushroomgod said:

If your NAD amp is up to it, PMC Twenty 21s and save for the matching stands. Small, discrete but sound sublime.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
How about something like a pair of Yamaha NS 1000 speakers? That would leave you with a few hundred quid to upgrade your amp if you wished.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
lindsayt said:
How about something like a pair of Yamaha NS 1000 speakers? That would leave you with a few hundred quid to upgrade your amp if you wished.

I was looking at a 2nd hand pair of these recently. Love that look. If only I had room for them I'd snap some up for a second (2nd hand) system.

For those suggesting ADM9s, I wonder whether they would provide enough bass/sufficient depth of bass, considering that the OP is looking at floorstanding speakers. There is, of course, the matching sub, but it might be hard to fit it into the budget.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
ID. said:
lindsayt said:

I was looking at a 2nd hand pair of these recently. Love that look. If only I had room for them I'd snap some up for a second (2nd hand) system.

For those suggesting ADM9s, I wonder whether they would provide enough bass/sufficient depth of bass, considering that the OP is looking at floorstanding speakers. There is, of course, the matching sub, but it might be hard to fit it into the budget.

The NS1000s actually work really well up near rear walls, dont need much space around them to work well.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
visionary said:
Sospri said:
Here we go again...............

Should that be "here you go again"?

Seems to me (with no axe to grind) that relocated made a perfectly reasonable suggestion

Thank you 'visionary' AND TO EVERYONE ELSE who took the trouble to read the OPs thread and see what was being asked for.

I notice that some people only seek to derail threads without making any positive contribution or suggestions to the OP, what a joy you are.

mushroomgod

May 25, 2009
Visit site
thanks for the replys - I probably should have elaborated better in my original post as this will probably confuse things further.

My amp is a NADC326BEE. - which I know is not exactly the best amp to get the best out of the speakers Iv been looking at. But. my long term aim is to upgrade that aswell, maybe in 6-12 months time. And I figured Id have to start with something and speakers seemed a good bet (I cant afford to do both - I also have a keen buyer for my current 685s ;) )

Regading an amp - its not something Iv looked too much into as yet, part of me wants a valve amp, but this is just a thought in the back of my head at the moment. I would estimate that I would spend around £600-1000 when it comes to upgrading.

Sorry if thats confused things further

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
In that case you maybe better spending £1500 on amp and speakers there are some combos around for that money and then maybe upgrading the speakers in a few years time if you think you need to. The only way is to hear them.

philipjohnwright

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
£1,500 buys a lot of second hand or ex-dem speaker. Not sure if it's still running but the Sevenoaks sale had at least one pair of Kef R700's for £1,500 (list £2k, so you basically get the next level up for the money).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts