Best CD player

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
yes I am serious about a £2000 budget on a cdplayer but If I can find a CD player for less I will because sometimes it's not about how much it costs like I found out today I felt the rosksan K3 di sounded a little better then the £1900 flagship rosksan mk2 cdplayer .

My only issue in buying the Unknown makes is when they go wrong it's not like you can go down your local Hifi shop and get it fixed or swapped , refund and sometimes a demo one thing I do not want to do is waste £2000 on a cdplayer that's going to be a side ways step or no difference in sound quality so this time there will be no guessing what will be good if I can not get a demo I will not buy it it's taken me ages to save this money 
Electro linked to a known and recommended dealer....if you give them a ring, they should be able to put your mind a rest and most probably allow a dem.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
I did look into higher end CD players and reading user reviews I was struck how unreliable some makes were, I'm not talking about Electros here. You read things like its a lovely sounding cdp when it works, sent it back 3-4 times now.

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:
Isn't the Electro UP over 3k new? The machines I'm talking about barely hit the 2k mark.

Still stand by my comments: Naim CDPs, in the right system, are as good as any at the price band.
The current version is nearer £4k....I only made the comment as your experience with the entry level "modern" designed Electro CDP has IMO wrongly tainted your view of the brand...especially the older iconic models.

So I was right a few posts back: Overpriced.

The Electro EC1-3 is around 2.5K, is that right? Overpriced, especially when it was about £1500 3-4 years ago. My PC-1 retailed at around £1300. As regards VFM they are rubbish.

Go and hear one Cno and come back and comment on the PC-1. It's a box of nothing: It doesn't do much wrong but it doesn't make you sit up and go 'wow' either.

Coll

May 4, 2011
Visit site
Yes he designed many Audiolab products.

This new FDAC is going to be something special as he has no timetable to work to and he wants everything to be perfect.

I would urge you to have a look especially as only apprx 200 units wiil be made.

There will be a lifetime warranty on it also

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:

The Electro EC1-3 is around 2.5K, is that right? Overpriced, especially when it was about £1500 3-4 years ago. My PC-1 retailed at around £1300. As regards VFM they are rubbish.

Go and hear one Cno and come back and comment on the PC-1. It's a box of nothing: It doesn't do much wrong but it doesn't make you sit up and go 'wow' either.
I have heard one, when I wrote about Taga Speakers on here...I thought it was not objectionable, but also nothing dramatic.
I have also heard the expensive CDP, which is excellent, if looking for a CDP...but I think you get better VFM with a decent streamer, so I wouldn't spend big money on any CDP.

The ECI-3 is less than £1900 and holds its own at that price, provided you are not looking for an ultra clean, analytical type of sound.

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Interested to know what's the best cdplayer out there ? For around £2000-£3000

something with a good power supply a really good onboard dac if that's possible have read some have 2 onboard dac's inside and it would have to be well constructed too and have XLR inputs

And sound amazing
Try looking at Yamha's CDS2100 or maybe stretching to their CDS3000 MODEL

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:

I have heard one, when I wrote about Taga Speakers on here...I thought it was not objectionable, but also nothing dramatic. I have also heard the expensive CDP, which is excellent, if looking for a CDP...but I think you get better VFM with a decent streamer, so I wouldn't spend big money on any CDP.

The ECI-3 is less than £1900 and holds its own at that price, provided you are not looking for an ultra clean, analytical type of sound.
no it's not an ultra clean sound I am after what I am after is clear cymbal crashes heard on the top end with good sound stage in the treble end of the speaker without sounding bright but more natural sounds how instruments should sound and any extra detail the CD player can pick up would be great

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:

I have heard one, when I wrote about Taga Speakers on here...I thought it was not objectionable, but also nothing dramatic. I have also heard the expensive CDP, which is excellent, if looking for a CDP...but I think you get better VFM with a decent streamer, so I wouldn't spend big money on any CDP.

The only logical reason to buy an Electro, in the OP's position, is because of its connection with Abrahamsen. Both seem to be cut from the same cloth for obvious reasons.

As regards the EC1-3, they must have dropped the price. Clearly remember either you or Electro on here suggesting that it had a price hike to over 2k.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
no it's not an ultra clean sound I am after what I am after is clear cymbal crashes heard on the top end with good sound stage in the treble end of the speaker without sounding bright but more natural sounds how instruments should sound and any extra detail the CD player can pick up would be great 
I have not heard an Abrahamsen, but I have heard the ECI-3 and 5....and would expect that they would sound fairly similar.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:
...but I can only speak as I find and I've owned all the Naim CDP's from the entry level CD5i right up to the CDX2 and the EMC1UP is on a different scale.

Mac

www.macsmusic.blogbubble.net
Mac saved me the bother of saying the same thing....the EMC 1UP is in a completely different league to what you are looking at. If you are really serious about spending £2k on a CDP, this is where you should be look for a dem IMO....the Bel Canto is another good shout.

Isn't the Electro UP over 3k new? The machines I'm talking about barely hit the 2k mark.

Still stand by my comments: Naim CDPs, in the right system, are as good as any at the price band.

Yes they are new, but as Electro pointed out earlier in the post, there's one going for sale from the guys at Audio Destination.

Black Sabboth... have you spoken to Mike or Caroline and discussed it... there would be no risk involved, you ask for home demo, if you like it you keep, if not send it back... simples

That really is the last word.

Mac

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
The only logical reason to buy an Electro, in the OP's position, is because of its connection with Abrahamsen. Both seem to be cut from the same cloth for obvious reasons.

As regards the EC1-3, they must have dropped the price. Clearly remember either you or Electro on here suggesting that it had a price hike to over 2k.

The logical reason is also that it happens to be an exceptional CDP.

The ECI-3 has always been around that price....The ECI-5 is about £2800, so it would make little sense if the lesser sibling was nearly as expensive.

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:

PP we're only suggesting the EMC1UP as advertized at Audio Destination because at the price it's an absolute bargain There's no comparison between that and The cheaper Electro models, nor the Abrahamsen CDP

Mac

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Macspur said:
plastic penguin said:
CnoEvil said:
Macspur said:
...but I can only speak as I find and I've owned all the Naim CDP's from the entry level CD5i right up to the CDX2 and the EMC1UP is on a different scale.

Mac

Mac saved me the bother of saying the same thing....the EMC 1UP is in a completely different league to what you are looking at. If you are really serious about spending £2k on a CDP, this is where you should be look for a dem IMO....the Bel Canto is another good shout.

Yes they are new, but as Electro pointed out earlier in the post, there's one going for sale from the guys at Audio Destination.

Black Sabboth... have you spoken to Mike or Caroline and discussed it... there would be no risk involved, you ask for home demo, if you like it you keep, if not send it back... simples

That really is the last word.

Mac

no I have not had the time as I went for a demo today demoing the 2 rosksan cdplayers and the arcam cd 27 I will speak to them as I would like to try the cdplayer to see if it's any good

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
alchemist 1 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

something with a good power supply a really good onboard dac if that's possible have read some have 2 onboard dac's inside and it would have to be well constructed too and have XLR inputs

And sound amazing
yep just looked up the Yamaha s2100 /s3000 very nise looking cdplayers and amps that's the style I like old school I like the uv meters on the amps anyway I see whf have not rated them very well

D

Deleted member 108165

I've really enjoyed your upgrade journey, Sabbath, it has been both entertaining and enlightening; you are always straight and honest, which is refreshing. Speaking as someone who is at peace with his system, (and the limitations of my recordings), comparing our music tastes, i.e. commercial pop for me, and commercial rock for you, are you absolutely sure that an expensive CD player is the answer to your perceived problems?

I am looking at this from a different angle in that most commercial pop/rock is notoriously poorly recorded so you're never gonna make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, or the old adage - carp in = carp out.

I've learnt to live with my genre's shortcomings so have accepted that some of it will undoubtedly sound sh*te *biggrin*

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
DougK said:
I've really enjoyed your upgrade journey, Sabbath, it has been both entertaining and enlightening; you are always straight and honest, which is refreshing. Speaking as someone who is at peace with his system, (and the limitations of my recordings), comparing our music tastes, i.e. commercial pop for me, and commercial rock for you, are you absolutely sure that an expensive CD player is the answer to your perceived problems?

I am looking at this from a different angle in that most commercial pop/rock is notoriously poorly recorded so you're never gonna make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, or the old adage - carp in = carp out.

I've learnt to live with my genre's shortcomings so have accepted that some of it will undoubtedly sound sh*te *biggrin*
yes I do understand that the style of music I like is not the best in the world and some of it is very compressed to hell but ! I do have have a very big taste in music which as you know it's not all compressed like metal music is and some early bands the compression is not too bad at all but i do understand that I will never get ozzy osboure sounding like a classical cd I wish. !

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
DougK said:

yes I do understand that the style of music I like is not the best in the world and some of it is very compressed to hell but ! I do have have a very big taste in music which as you know it's not all compressed like metal music is and some early bands the compression is not too bad at all but i do understand that I will never get ozzy osboure sounding like a classical cd I wish. !

Black Sabbath are a lot better than most heavy metal for dynamic range. Not sure if there are any special remasters might be worth checking. Japanese masters are often regarded as the best but canbe rather expensive. The Hoffman site is quite useful for looking for the best versions. I would still be considering a decent turntable if I was into that sort of music, grew out of Black Sabbath about 40 years ago.
regular_smile.gif

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
BigH said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
DougK said:

Black Sabbath are a lot better than most heavy metal for dynamic range. Not sure if there are any special remasters might be worth checking. Japanese masters are often regarded as the best but canbe rather expensive. The Hoffman site is quite useful for looking for the best versions. I would still be considering a decent turntable if I was into that sort of music, grew out of Black Sabbath about 40 years ago.
yes I seen the prices on the black sabbath sacds they are very expensive anyway it's not the only band I like I do love pink floyd , David Gilmour solo stuff a lot of classic rock which a lot of it is ok on the compression side things I even like some classical music , blues music

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
BigH said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
DougK said:

yes I seen the prices on the black sabbath sacds they are very expensive anyway it's not the only band I like I do love pink floyd , David Gilmour solo stuff a lot of classic rock which a lot of it is ok on the compression side things I even like some classical music , blues music

Pink Floyd are fine. So you are more classic rock than heavy metal fan?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
BigH said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
BigH said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
DougK said:

Pink Floyd are fine. So you are more classic rock than heavy metal fan?
both I think more classic rock now I am getting older as I just like to sit back and enjoy music without it scream back at me my taste is so wide it depends on what mood I feel I have always been this way with music but now finding I am actually wanting to hear better produce stuff like the pink floyd more .

In regards to cdplayer or dac i will go the dac route because it's going to be hard to find a top cdplayer without spending silly money so the dac route is the way I will go as my marantz is well made and at least it's reliable

alchemist 1

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
alchemist 1 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

And sound amazing
yep just looked up the Yamaha s2100 /s3000 very nise looking cdplayers and amps that's the style I like old school I like the uv meters on the amps anyway I see whf have not rated them very well
Don't always believe what you read, worth a listen I think. *music2*

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
alchemist 1 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
alchemist 1 said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

And sound amazing
Don't always believe what you read, worth a listen I think. *music2*
them amps look so tasty I so like the old look the s3000 amp in silver looks good I am in trouble I was meant to look at the CD players but found myself looking at the amps lol

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
iceman16 said:
As suggested by Cno, Electro and Macspur try to listen to EMC 1UP. better with spider clamp
I hear you all but I am worried about it being reliable what happens if the mechanism goes wrong on it were do I get it fixed I've been waiting 5-6 weeks to get a new mechanism for the abrahamsen 1up cdplayer I do understand that the EMC 1UP will give me quality playback but I think it's going to be safe for me to buy a top quality dac and use my marantz cdplayer

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts