Best amplifier for Focal JmLab 706S

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

What amplifier would you recommend for Focal JmLab 706S?

My room: midsize

Music: mailnly jazz, blues, movie soundtracks, some pop and rock, but not too heavy

I like to listen to the music late in the evening at low volume level :)

Budget: not too high :(

thanks for your help!

Sizzers

Jun 20, 2008
Visit site
I've no idea how they compare but I have my Focal 706V's hooked up to a Marantz PM6003.

I have similar tastes and needs to yourself and I find my Focal's an excellent match. Mids/vocals are bril, great highs but these can perhaps get a bit carried away at times, they have a really good, tight punchy bass which is in no way overwhelming, and a really good soundstage too. They certainly don't take kindly to harsh recordings, though.

IMO the Marantz also excels at low volume listening and works particularly well with these speakers, and hopefully you might get the opportunity to take your speakers along for a demo somewhere to see what you think if it's not too much over budget.

If you like a warmer sound the Focal's seem to be a popular choice elsewhere with NAD (not an amp I personally like as I don't like how it seems to over-emphasise the bass), or Arcam if you were also looking down the second hand route.

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
As another idea with these speakers, you can't go wrong matching with the NAD C326 or even Yamaha A-S500. Although Focal are fairly unfussy on matching, either of these amps should get the most out of them on a budget.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for your comments!

And what do you think of Arcam Alpha 7R? Does it suit these speakers?

fmigas said:
Thanks for your comments!

And what do you think of Arcam Alpha 7R? Does it suit these speakers?

Yes, Arcam and Focal are a very good match. Personally, I'd be looking at Alpha 9 or DIVA A80 as a minimum. The Alpha 7 only has 40 watts per channel, but would sound wonderful connected to 7P or 8P power amp should you wish to upgrade at a later date.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Focal very much reflect the kit that the're paired with ie. They can sound forward and bright if wrongly matched....or they can sound great with the likes of Arcam (as mentioned by PP), Sugden, Peachtree, tubes or Electrocompaniet.

Cno

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts