Best amp (new or used) for Monitor Audio RX1

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Can anyone recommend a good amp (new or used) for the Monitor Audio RX1's? I have a budget of around £300. I'd like to get the most amp for the money.

Thanks for your input

Hi TS

Yamaha's new A-S500 amplifier is terrific. I have been trying the A-S500 with many components and recently i also used a pair of RX1's. The A-S500 and RX1's worked superbly producing a sound which has depth, is clear and dynamic.

What is surprising me the most about the A-S500 is that is has a 'silk' like quality to its presentation which i am finding to be addictive and simply a joy to listen to.

The A-S500 excudes class (particularly with its retro looks). Yamaha inspires confidence.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'd recommend looking at the Rotel RA04se. Plenty of current behind it, very conservative power rating. I've used Rotel amplifiers for many years with speakers like B&W's that have a strong bass which need a lot of control in order to hear them at their best. The RX1's are no different. If the amp cant control the bass properly, it just sounds soft and lacking any punch. Give it a go and see what you think.

Inter_Voice

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
It depends very much on the type of music you want to listen.

For rock, jazz and electric the NAD 3xx series is a good companion to RX1.

Hi Inter_Voice

Yes, the C326BEE will also work well with the RX1's and at this price level would generally be my second choice however imo now the overall superiority of the A-S500 is undeniable.
emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I have used the RX1 with my Rotel RA-01 with good results.Had to sell the RX1's unfortunately due to positioning limitations.Otherwise the Rotel matched nicely with the MA's.Plenty of bass and smooth treble.

A

Anonymous

Does anyone know anything about the Advanced Acoustics MAP 101?

danrv:
I have used the RX1 with my Rotel RA-01 with good results.Had to sell the RX1's unfortunately due to positioning limitations.Otherwise the Rotel matched nicely with the MA's.Plenty of bass and smooth treble.

Hi danrv

Yes, the older Rotel's such as the RA-01/02 would be better suited as they were smoother whereas the current range whilst good has a presentation which is just upfront and lacks the musicality of the older range.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

TS:
Can anyone recommend a good amp (new or used) for the Monitor Audio RX1's? I have a budget of around £300. I'd like to get the most amp for the money.

Thanks for your input

I'm currently running a pair of RX2's with a Rotel RA05 - very nice, imho. You've got a couple of good options above, it might be time for a demo. Let us know how you get along..

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
As a Rotel dealer, and having used all models consistently for the past 20 years and regularly demonstrating the current range, the RA04 and RA05 models lose out nothing to previous models. They're just as good value for money as they ever were, and would still be my choice of amplifier this side of the excellent Audiolab 8200 amplifier, barring the Rega Brio, but this would be too smooth with RX1's.

A

Anonymous

I'm not sure if this is true but, I've heard that the Rotel amps tend to be on the bright side. From listening to the RX1s they seem a little on bright side as well. Would the Rotel cause the high end to be too harsh?

TS:I'm not sure if this is true but, I've heard that the Rotel amps tend to be on the bright side. From listening to the RX1s they seem a little on bright side as well. Would the Rotel cause the high end to be too harsh?

H TS

I have owned Rotel (Michi Series) and also sold plently of their components over many years so i am aware of their previous and current offerings. Whilst their current products such as their amplifiers still maintain good quality levels of power however the overall presentation has changed which i feel is frankly upfront and one which does not retain the overall smooth musicality of their previous ranges.

If Rotel does interest you then look at the RA-1062. The RA-1062 (their take on the truly great Pioneer A-400 amplifier) is the finest overall amplifer which they've produced in the last ten years. RA-1062's pop up for sale from time to time so you should be able to pick up a good used one for around £300 - £350.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

MUSICRAFT:
TS:I'm not sure if this is true but, I've heard that the Rotel amps tend to be on the bright side. From listening to the RX1s they seem a little on bright side as well. Would the Rotel cause the high end to be too harsh?

H TS

I have owned Rotel (Michi Series) and also sold plently of their components over many years so i am aware of their previous and current offerings. Whilst their current products such as their amplifiers still maintain good quality levels of power however the overall presentation has changed which i feel is frankly upfront and one which does not retain the overall smooth musicality of their previous ranges.

If Rotel does interest you then look at the RA-1062. The RA-1062 (their take on the truly great Pioneer A-400 amplifier) is the finest overall amplifer which they've produced in the last ten years. RA-1062's pop up for sale from time to time so you should be able to pick up a good used one for around £300 - £350.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Agree, I've Owned The Rotel RA1062 used with MA BR5, A superb and Musical Amp.(powerful,not bright)

ear:One doubt here..is the Yamaha S-500 better than S-700 ?

Hi ear

The A-S500 is superior to the already impressive A-S700. I've had thhe A-S500 playing all day today (in fact it is still on now) and i simply cannot get over the 'silk' like quality to its presenatation.
emotion-1.gif
Very addictive and beautiful to listen to.
emotion-2.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site

The 10 series has always been more refined than the entry level stuff - it's what you pay for. Bright? I don't think so - they're just more neutral than many other budget amplifiers that either can't control bass, or accentuate bass because they lack midrange. I've still not found any budget amps to kick like the Rotels do.

As far as Monitor Audio RX series is concerned - can we get something straight now? They're not harsh or bright!! People who say this about Monitor Audio have either never heard MA and are basing it on what ill informed people say, or they've only heard the old RS series, which was bright. The new RX series is much, much smoother, which widens their compatibility with amplifiers.
Many people were saying that the RX series wouldn't suit Pioneer AV receivers, but it's now a very popular combination on this forum (as well as off) because people have gone out and heard it for themselves, and found out that it's a combination that works.

With the neutral sound of the Rotel, and the smoother sound of the RX's, they'll work fine together.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
MUSICRAFT:

Hi ear

The A-S500 is superior to the already impressive A-S700. I've had thhe A-S500 playing all day today (in fact it is still on now) and i simply cannot get over the 'silk' like quality to its presenatation.
emotion-1.gif
emotion-2.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Thats exactly it.no silky sound from yamahas of before.this new models must have nailed it.

ear:MUSICRAFT:

Hi ear

emotion-1.gif
emotion-2.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Thats exactly it.no silky sound from yamahas of before.this new models must have nailed it.

Hi ear

Yamaha put alot of work into tuning the A-S500 (which was partly done by one of their engineers from Japan at Yamaha Music UK in Milton Keynes). Yes, i also feel Yamaha have nailed the presentation on the A-S500. The amplifiers qualities of clarity, dynamics etc. is pinned by the 'silk' like quality throughout the range which is simply beautiful. Whilst i've still got work to do i am also partly still at the shop because i can't stop listening to the A-S500. Truly addictive listening.

With the badge also comes robustness and superb reliability.

All the best

Rick @ Musicaft

A

Anonymous

Rick,

Thank you for the advice. I appreciate it. I'll look around to see if I can find a RA 1062.

A

Anonymous

I have a Rotel RA1520 with Monitor Audio RX1 and they seem to go really well together. Previously I had a Marantz PM6002, but the Rotel is a big improvement at all volumes. I do a fair bit of listening in the late evening and at lower levels it is good, even without the loudness button that the Marantz had. There seems to be a lot of power in reserve with the Rotel. I tried the Rotel with the higher spec Marantz (PM8003) but found the Rotel to be more to my tastes.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Glad to hear you're enjoying your Rotel jhlanc.

I've always liked the Rotel amplifiers as for me they give a hint of what high end audio is all about. With their neutral balance, it's an easy transition to higher quality audio - it's not so easy when moving on from warm, soft, life lacking amplifiers. They give great current delivery, which gives them their ability to drive and control more awkward speakers, speakers that most budget amps would have problems with. Rotel like to keep things simple, so when you look inside one, you won't see masses of circuit boards and components. They also keep the left and right signal paths equal and as short as possible, and a few other procedures that companies like Naim employ when building their amplifiers.

For anyone who hasn't got megabucks for an amplifier and are suffering from a slow, dull, monotonous bass, stick a Rotel amp on the end - job done.

TS:
Rick,

Thank you for the advice. I appreciate it. I'll look around to see if I can find a RA 1062.

Hi Tim

Your welcome.

From time to time i have Rotel components which come my way (including RA-1062's) from some of my former clients to whom i've sold Rotel to and who are looking to upgrade. I'll drop you an email when another RA-1062 comes my way.

In the meantime please also keep an look out on ebay.

Btw, the PM-64 from Marantz is another amp to also keep a look out for. The PM-64 can be hard to come by but is well worth the wait.
emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Hi.

And what do you think about MA RX1 and Cambridge audio azur 650 amp?

TS:

Thanks for your input

Used: Arcam DIVA range, Rotel 10 series or Roksan Kandy MKIII or LIII.

New: Rotel RA-04/05...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts