BDP 320 not playing 24bit PCM

Sliced Bread

I have just noticed that when I play an uncompressed 24bit sound track (such as no country for old men) my bluray player (Pioneer bdp320) is stating that the audio is 16 bit when I press the display button.

The bluray player is hdmi 1.3, as is the hdmi lead (Van Den Hul The Flat) and my amplifier (Onkyo 905). Does anyone have idea what might be causing this?

Thanks

Sliced Bread

That's ok...it's a fair question
emotion-1.gif

Yes I am selecting the HD soundtrack.

Sliced Bread

Thanks the_lhc! If this works when I try it tonight you will get a gold star
emotion-1.gif

There are no obvious options in the Pioneers menu to do this as far as I can tell from the manual - although they must be there. They have an HDMI audio option for Auto or PCM, so I guess Auto is bit-stream. I will have a play tonight
emotion-1.gif

Sliced Bread

I may have some problems with this, according to this quote from a review in another website:

"Overall, I found the set-up menus confusing. I'm used to having the ability to change from bitstream out to PCM out or to enable or disable Secondary Audio output in the menus. On the Pioneer many of the audio options are grayed out, depending on how you're connecting and how the player has decided to set your optimal settings. "

There is also this, but still no mention of uncompressed tracks.

"Apparently to get the full quality Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio lossless bitstream to your compatible receiver or preamp/processor select "Dolby Digital 2" and "DTS 2," otherwise the player will mix in BD Secondary Audio and may output the lossy core track (DTS) and companion track (Dolby Digital) instead of the lossless track, even over the HDMI outputs."

Sliced Bread

Thanks...I have just spoken to Pioneer. As my amplifier displays TRUE-HD and DTS_MA when films with these formats are played it looks like the player is already set to Auto (they confirmed that this is Pioneer speak for bitstream).

The support guy was very helpful although a bit stumped as to why 24 bit uncompressed soundtracks are then read as 16 bit. He is going to talk to the engineers and call me back. I'll let you know what they say.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Sliced Bread:Thanks...I have just spoken to Pioneer. As my amplifier displays TRUE-HD and DTS_MA when films with these formats are played it looks like the player is already set to Auto (they confirmed that this is Pioneer speak for bitstream).

Err? I thought you said earlier the amp displayed Multi-CH?

Sliced Bread

the_lhc:Sliced Bread:
Thanks...I have just spoken to Pioneer. As my amplifier displays TRUE-HD and DTS_MA when films with these formats are played it looks like the player is already set to Auto (they confirmed that this is Pioneer speak for bitstream).Err? I thought you said earlier the amp displayed Multi-CH?

Sorry..I should have clarified. The amp displays Multi-CH when receiving an uncompressed track. True-HD and DTS-MA are both working fine and decoded by the amp.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts