bbc hd channels; volume levels

frozen peas

Jul 24, 2010
Visit site
:rant: on both bbc one hd and bbc hd volume levels via freeview fluctuate greatly.Some programs have different levels just too frustate things further. Any ideas? TV ;PANASONIC GT20 .HUMAX 9300T ; ROWIDGE TRANSMITTER. Cheers Frozen peas.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Different Panasonic, different Humax, same transmitter. Volumes on BBC1 HD and BBC HD about the same (as much as I can tell given that there are different events on them).

I have checked via TV's own speakers (and through hi-fi) and through TV and Humax tuners. I can't honestly notice any difference.

My Humax has always been set to volume 18/20 (since I installed it) so that the levels (TV speakers or hi-fi) are the same when I switch between it and the TV.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We have noticed a few glitches with the BBC's 5.1 feed over last couple of days - the centre channel took a while to kick in on opening ceremony, for instance...

GSB

Mar 27, 2011
Visit site
Clare Newsome said:
We have noticed a few glitches with the BBC's 5.1 feed over last couple of days - the centre channel took a while to kick in on opening ceremony, for instance...

I wonder if this was the reason when using optical in the sky box the codec was DD EX? :?

Russell Finch

Nov 3, 2008
Visit site
When I watch either BBC Olympic channel, the sound is flagged to my amp as 5.1 but the centre and rears are almost mute. Switch the amp to stereo and it sounds almost identical. Not sure who is responsible for the 5.1 sound on bbc but it's rubbish.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Russell Finch said:
When I watch either BBC Olympic channel, the sound is flagged to my amp as 5.1 but the centre and rears are almost mute. Switch the amp to stereo and it sounds almost identical. Not sure who is responsible for the 5.1 sound on bbc but it's rubbish.

I'm watching the Olympics on BBC1HD now in DD and there's clear crowd noise coming through the rear channels, so there's nothing wrong with the BBC's feed.

I did notice during the opening ceremony that the volume seemed to dip on occasion, even asked the missus if she'd turned it down at one point.

Russell Finch

Nov 3, 2008
Visit site
As I said, almost mute. Occasionally I get a bit of crowd noise through the rears, but it's very very quiet most of the time. Hardly gives an "in the stadium" feel. I was there yesterday and the atmosphere in the stadium is way better than it sounds on TV.

Do you get anything much in your centre speaker? Virtually nothing for me, and the commentators and studio talking heads ought to be there. Having studio chat coming from left and right instead of the centre sounds very strange to me. The way Sky mix the 5.1 sound for their sports coverage sounds much much better. Indeed the 2.0 tracks on the other Olympic channels sound better once they have gone through a prologic decoder.

I googled around to see if other people were having the same experience as me and I found a few threads on digitalspy and avforums where people were finding the 5.1 sounded more like flat stereo.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Russell Finch said:
As I said, almost mute. Occasionally I get a bit of crowd noise through the rears, but it's very very quiet most of the time. Hardly gives an "in the stadium" feel. I was there yesterday and the atmosphere in the stadium is way better than it sounds on TV.

Well, yes, I'd expect it to sound much better live!

Do you get anything much in your centre speaker? Virtually nothing for me, and the commentators and studio talking heads ought to be there. Having studio chat coming from left and right instead of the centre sounds very strange to me. The way Sky mix the 5.1 sound for their sports coverage sounds much much better.

I've no idea, I've not noticed anything that would make me sit up and take notice that there was a problem.

Russell Finch

Nov 3, 2008
Visit site
I copied a few quotes from posters on other forums

"5.1 or lack of....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi, I have a very accurate 5.1 system, indeed upgraded it in time for the Olympics, and am watching in 3d where poss, and hd always. I was also at one of the stadiums (basketball).

I can confirm that the sound of being there is just not coming across, and can explain why.

for several years now major events (best example I know being Wimbledon) have been broadcast with a good 5.1 sound mix, using the rear channels to "put you there" with atmosphere/spectator sounds and the commentary obviously on the front speakers. But despite the promise of 5.1 sound from the Olympics, it is not being delivered... yes there is a 5.1 dolby digital output from my sky hd box, which I am decoding, but nothing much is ever coming out the rears. A friend I know in the bbc who is a sound supervisor and working at the olympics confirms that the OBS (Olympic Broadcasting Service) are not providing 5.1 channels. They (the bbc) can steer artificially some sound to the rears which they try to do, but this can never be very effective as an approach. "

"bBC HD sounds stereo to me."

"Olympics opening ceremony dd?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
According to my amp it's in dd but there is nothing coming through the rear channels. Not sure if my setup is working properly do was wondering is it working for anyone else?"

"On the subject of 5.1 sound, I'd like to add that on BBC one HD Freeview, although 5.1 seems to be being transmitted (my AV decoder is seeing it as 5.1 as opposed to the normal 2.0) the sound is an odd mix, with the main L+R being at the correct volume, and very low (almost non-existent) sound from centre & rears. In fact, it's almost like a 2.0 mix (i.e. stereo fronts) with a low-level L+R sent to the centre.

Very different from the recent Wimbledon mix, and very disappointing"

"i've noticed the exact same thing. BBC ONE HD is broadcasting with dolby 5.1 but only in a stereo mix, so the commentary is coming out of the L+R channels and nothing from the other speakers at all. it actually sounds better in stereo 2.0 with pro-logic - at least that put the commentary in the right place in the centre channel.. it's frustrating that the 'better' sound comes from the SD broadcast.

i've now reconfigured my amp to use only the HDMI input from my sky box (as it doesn't carry 5.1 anyway) and abandoned the SPDIF connection for the time being.. so i no longer know what's in 5.1 and what isn't.. it's going to be a pro-logic games it seems. real shame."

Most startling is the first post saying that OBS are not giving the BBC the 5.1 feed, and that they are trying to manufacture some rear channel sound to put in their 5.1 transmissions. From what it sounds like, I wouldn't be at all surprised if that were true. Perhaps one of the WHF newshounds could follow this one up ???

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Russell Finch said:
Most startling is the first post saying that OBS are not giving the BBC the 5.1 feed, and that they are trying to manufacture some rear channel sound to put in their 5.1 transmissions. From what it sounds like, I wouldn't be at all surprised if that were true.

I can believe that and of course it would mean that it's not the BBC's fault, so the usual Beeb-bashing can stop now, right?

Russell Finch

Nov 3, 2008
Visit site
I would agree except they would be better off broadcasting stereo in stereo as 2 channel PCM and letting our pro logic do it's magic, rather than transmitting a fudge over 5.1 channels where all but 2 speakers are inaudible most of the time.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
On the subject of 5.1 problems, are any of you on Freeview Lite and could this be a factor?

To Frozen Peas, I have always noticed that the HD channels were noticably louder on freeview and freesat but that hasn't been the case in the last couple of days??????????

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Re problems with the BBC Olympics DD5.1 transmissions, we've contacted the BBC press office and are waiting for an official response. We'll let you know as soon as we hear anything.

camac

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
I`m with Virgin Media and BBC 1 HD & BBC HD channels have both significant lower volume levels through my av receiver than any other HD channel (HD cable from Tivo Box to Receiver).
But the extra Olympic BBC channels that Virgin are broadcasting are at what I would say were normal volume levels.

Very Curious !!!!!!!!

TRENDING THREADS