Small HD TV for kitchen

Rupert

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
The tuner on our 9 year-old Humax 23" TV is losing it's marbles .. massive blocking on all but the main BBC channels, in spite of auto-retuning regularly. I'm now in the market for a replacement, so naturally I want something like our main TV, only smaller for the kitchen.

Because I've always bought Panasonic I'm looking for something from their range. It seems they only do one 24" TV (TX-24DS500B) which is quoted as being 'HD ready 720p', i.e. presumably not quite the same as our main unit (a Panasonic 39" with full HD 1080p). However, it is a 'Smart' TV with access to iPlayer and YouTube via wi-fi connectivity.

I suppose the question here is: If 24" TVs are only available in HD ready 720p, is the absence of full HD 1080p very noticeable on a small unit such as this? Also, do they make full HD 1080p 24" TVs, or is that such a small market requirement that manufacturers don't feel the need to bother with it?

Rupert

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
simonlewis said:
Most tvs these days have minimal or frameless design, is it not possible to stretch to a 32" where you'll have more choice ?

Thanks Simon, but the Humax was really as large as space in that corner would allow at the time and, as a 24" TV will have approximately a 22" wide body, that really is about the limit!

Rupert

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
bigboss said:
It depends on your viewing distance.

Distance from my place at the kitchen table to the front edge of the TV bracket mount (which is located at eye level if I was standing up) is 8ft. Both my wife and I have average eyesight, enhanced by the wearing of spectacles if there's too much written word on the screen!

Rupert

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
chebby said:
I bought this for our youngest daughter the other day ...

clicky

Full HD and Smart TV.

Thanks chebby (and others) ... I've seen that set too, it looks to have all the whistles and bells in a neat compact body. Just need to decide whether to go for that or the ever so slightly larger Panasonic.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts