Bare wire or Banana plugs?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Finally the decorating is done and ive now got my sound system where i want it.

Ive just got one niggle, am i best using Banana plugs or bared wire for speaker/Hifi connections?

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
Hi TD, the banana plug is a far more 'convenient' way of connecting. Less fiddling about to do and no need to cut off bits of speaker wire each year or so to remove the oxidised bit. You won't notice any difference whichever you use.

I wanted to use spade connectors, but you may have noticed that the DM37 has a terminal where you cannot fit spades.

Rich

I would say it all depends on how much you like fiddling with banana plugs and if you are OK with a soldering iron.

Not much point in using bananas if you do not solder wire in. Also depends on the composition of your speaker cable ( copper or silvered copper).

Silver will tend to oxidise more so than copper, however the debate about cutting bits off the end of bare-wire cable is pretty much a nonsense as the vital bit of wire (the bit that is actually clamped tends not to oxidise to any great degree. At least this is my finding over the years that I have used copper cable.

Save your money and forget overrated / overpriced banana plugs - unless you already have some.

T

the record spot

Use bare wire myself, absolutely fine. No issues with it at all.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
profigold has some bananas that atach the wire by screw. since I am on my second pair of speakers that have a terminal that rotates on its axis and doesnt screw properly, this is the best solution for connecting cable.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts