Bands you would buy unheard...

jaxwired

Feb 7, 2009
Visit site
Here's a new one. Are there any bands that you would purchase their new recording without even sampling it first?

For me it's a short list:

The Waifs

The National

Pinback

Newton Faulkner

A

Anonymous

I would say a major part of my collection is based on tracks which I haven't heard. Up to a couple of years ago. I would buy new music based on things like thank yous in the credits of albums I liked or if the cover, band name and font appealed.

The last album I bought was Diamond Eyes by Deftones. I have no other albums by them and have never heard a track. I know it was Kerrangs! album of the year and in a 2 for £10 in HMV.

A

Anonymous

Joe Bonamassa
Eric Bibb
Seasick Steve
I also used to buy Santana but the last album was a bummer so I will no longer buy his without hearing.
Nick

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
The Orb

Aphex Twin

Daft Punk

Bjork

Chemical Brothers

Audio Active

For quite a few years I would've included U2 as well.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Medeski, Martin and Wood, I buy most of their stuff unheard as there's no opportunity to hear it usually.

Nobody else though, even the next PWEI album (if it happens, Crabb's gone very quiet) will need sampling as I've got no confidence in Graham's ability to do something decent by himself...

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
For me that's a no brainer: Marillion, although I might have a bit of a wait for the next one.
emotion-6.gif

Can't think of anyone else off the top of my head.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
I would have an often changing list, based on how much 'goodwill' a band/artist has built up from the previous release or back catalogue. 1 (or sometimes more) disappointing albums and they'll drop off the list!

At the moment:

The Editors
Groove Armada
Chemical Brothers
Mercury Rev
Flaming Lips

BillDay66

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Lucinda Williams Feb 28th

Elbow March 7th

REM March 7th

All pre-ordered with Amazon

and Johnny Cash if something that wasn't already on a hundred other cds turned up!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
jaxwired:
Here's a new one. Are there any bands that you would purchase their new recording without even sampling it first?

For me it's a short list:

The Waifs

The National

Pinback

Newton Faulkner

I will be buying Radiohead's new album when it releases next week without listening to a second of it.

A

Anonymous

oh my god that's just made my day , I never even knew about this until now. Have just pre -ordered my WAV version to download on Saturday - any news on track listing yet? PJ Harvey's stunning new album will keep me going till then.

Trefor Patten

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
HMMM,

Jan Garbarek,

Andy Sheppard,

June Tabor,

Richard Thompson,

Eberhard Weber (If he ever records again),

Joni Mitchell (If she ever records again),

Pat Metheny,

Gabriel Yacoub

6th.replicant

Oct 26, 2007
Visit site
Massive Attack

Radiohead

Anouar Brahem

Antony & The Johnsons

Brian Eno

Elbow

The Prodigy

Rokia Traor‚

Peter Gabriel

Neil Young (a bit random but his heart's always in the right place)

John Surman

Tricky

Bryan Ferry

Afro Celt Soundsystem

Goldfrapp (granted, Head First was a tad limp compared to the excellence of the previous four)

David Bowie (still waiting for him to finish that instrumental album...)

A

Anonymous

Tindersticks

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds

Interpol

Lambchop

Mercury Rev

Arcade Fire

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
When I first read your question I thought there would be a list of at least half a dozen or so. However, after a think the answer is probably down to just one which is The Eagles. I have every Magnum album apart from the new one and after reading a poor review and then listening to it on Spotify I have decided against buying it so there is an example of a band I might have once put on the list but no more. I even pick and choose with Neil Young.

A very good question indeed and one which really got me thinking.

Diamond Joe

Mar 1, 2008
Visit site
6th.replicant:Goldfrapp (granted, Head First was a tad limp compared to the excellence of the previous four)

Oooo, I thought it was pretty good, played it yesterday at silly volume levels, lovely
emotion-21.gif

And I'd like to add Porcupine Tree to my list (cheers for the reminder Big Chris)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts