Banana clips, do they make a difference?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
As above?

I was think of putting clips on the ends, but dont see a point if they are not going to make any difference.

Nice 1

Oh also does speaker wire make a huge difference, as I have some cheap 1.99 p/m cable that I have on the centre, but QED XT on my left and right, should I change the centre or not bother.

A

Anonymous

I use QED SIlver Anniversary on my front 3 speakers and QED Micro on the rears. I personally feel that it does make a difference and the recommendations you will get from the majority of people is that your front 3 speakers should be as sonically matched as possible. In my opinion this includes the cables used to connect them.

As for banana plugs, I've looked at these in the past and as far as I've been told, don't bother. They don't necessarily offer any gain in quality, if anything, it's another item to sit in between the source and speaker and if not terminated correctly they can interfere with the sound. Best going for bare cable. That said, QED offer these airlock connectors which can be specially fitted by the cable supplier, so if you're looking at replacing your cable, that may be an option as when professionally fitted they would be worth having (although for the cost, I'd probably still go without!)

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
Amongst the cluttered rear of an AV amp, I think that banana plugs are great from a convenience point of view. They make connecting speakers easy and prevent any chance of short-circuits from stray wires! I don't suppose sound quality is much improved (although bare cables supposedly oxidize and degrade SQ).

fayeanddavid

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Sorreltiger:Amongst the cluttered rear of an AV amp, I think that banana plugs are great from a convenience point of view. They make connecting speakers easy and prevent any chance of short-circuits from stray wires! I don't suppose sound quality is much improved (although bare cables supposedly oxidize and degrade SQ).

For these reasons alone I reckon it has to be worth it, plus if they are professionally fitted you have the satisfaction of knowing that that is the best you can do ................as I recall it is not that expensive to have banana plugs fitted when ordering from your supplier

A

Anonymous

That's assuming they are soldered on or are the QED Airloc type, if they're the normal screw type the cable is still liable to oxidizing (though none of my QED Silver Anniversary have ever had this problem over the past 10 years) and therefore offer no benefit at all, apart from easy disconnection should you need to move your speakers on a regular basis.

b33k34

Oct 25, 2008
Visit site
I have them fitted for convenience. Better if soldered (but mine aren't).

I don't buy any of the cable Woo you hear on here. A scientific education tells me that this is perfectly adequate and anything more expensive is just a tax on the foolish.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CASPEAK79.html?utm_source=froogle

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts