B&W vs. MONITOR AUDIO

BJB

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
This week I installed:

Sony 5400 amp

Sony 5000 Blu Ray

B&W 684, HTM-61 Center, ASW-610XP, M-1s in the rear

The reason I went with the 61 center and not the 62 is because I found the sound from the 62 to be a little weak. I have a relatively large room. The issue is that I am a little disappointed with the sound (although the picture quality is stupendous). I find that the sound is not as transparent and the sounstage not as broad as I would like. The dealer from whom I purchased the B&W speakers has offered to upgrade me to the Monitor Audio Silver RX6 speaker package with Radius HD90's at the rear for the equivalent of 800 pounds (I live in SA). What are the benefits that I can expect from the upgrade? Alternatively I could wait for the B&Ws to run in but the disadvantage is that the longer I wait the more difficult it will be to exchange.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Leave them running in for a couple of days non stop, and see then?

Surely a couple of days won't make a difference, if you decide to go for the MA's?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
BJB:
This week I installed:

Sony 5400 amp

Sony 5000 Blu Ray

B&W 684, HTM-61 Center, ASW-610XP, M-1s in the rear

The reason I went with the 61 center and not the 62 is because I found the sound from the 62 to be a little weak. I have a relatively large room. The issue is that I am a little disappointed with the sound (although the picture quality is stupendous). I find that the sound is not as transparent and the sounstage not as broad as I would like. The dealer from whom I purchased the B&W speakers has offered to upgrade me to the Monitor Audio Silver RX6 speaker package with Radius HD90's at the rear for the equivalent of 800 pounds (I live in SA). What are the benefits that I can expect from the upgrade? Alternatively I could wait for the B&Ws to run in but the disadvantage is that the longer I wait the more difficult it will be to exchange.

I run the old RS6 package with the old R90s as rears and have the Sony 3400 receiver. It sounds superb. The sub itself is worth upgrading for!

BJB

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for the advice guys. Any further advice from one of the editors, who have experience with both packages, would be very much appreciated.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
Silly question, maybe. However, you say you have a relatively large room, but the soundstage is disappointing. Could you describe your layout in the room, perhaps? In my experience, listening position, speaker position and room acoustics can have a huge effect.

BJB

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Sorreltiger:Silly question, maybe. However, you say you have a relatively large room, but the soundstage is disappointing. Could you describe your layout in the room, perhaps? In my experience, listening position, speaker position and room acoustics can have a huge effect.

We have an open plan lounge and dining room. Size of both rooms is 12m x 5.5m and ceilings are 5m high. Space occupied by the lounge is 5m x 5.5m. Thanks for your assistance.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
When I first set up my system, I put my front speakers next to the rack (as I'd seen in some pictures). I was immediately disappointed with the effect. Suddenly, it dawned on me that there was no reason why they shouldn't be the same as my hi-fi system had been for x years previously. When I moved the speakers to create a 'golden triangle' with the listening position, the difference was astonishing.

I hope this doesn't sound patronising - you've probably tried all that!

BJB

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Sorreltiger:

When I first set up my system, I put my front speakers next to the rack (as I'd seen in some pictures). I was immediately disappointed with the effect. Suddenly, it dawned on me that there was no reason why they shouldn't be the same as my hi-fi system had been for x years previously. When I moved the speakers to create a 'golden triangle' with the listening position, the difference was astonishing.

I hope this doesn't sound patronising - you've probably tried all that!

Thanks for the advice. I positioned the speakers as recommended by B&W. Last night we watched slumdog millionaire and again I was disappointed by the center speaker. I found myself turning up the volume for dialogue and then turning it back down again when the surround music played. I have therefore pretty much decided to upgrade to the MA RX6 package with radius rears. I really hope that the sound improves, and not that there are acoustic problems in our lounge.

Sorreltiger

Apr 22, 2008
Visit site
The music/effects on Slumdog are EXTREMELY loud if you have the dialogue at a 'normal' volume. It's about the only film to wake up my kids and I had to finish it at another time. One of the 'benefits' of Blu-ray HD soundtracks is a much wider dynamic range!

As you're obviously unhappy with your overall sound, I think it would be a good idea to compare it to some sympathetic demos to make some comparisons and - hopefully - to see if you can find what you're looking for.

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
Sorreltiger:
The music/effects on Slumdog are EXTREMELY loud if you have the dialogue at a 'normal' volume. It's about the only film to wake up my kids and I had to finish it at another time. One of the 'benefits' of Blu-ray HD soundtracks is a much wider dynamic range!

As you're obviously unhappy with your overall sound, I think it would be a good idea to compare it to some sympathetic demos to make some comparisons and - hopefully - to see if you can find what you're looking for.

This is very true. I'm not sure what settings might be available on your Sony AVR but I've found on my Denon AVR that using the Audessey Dynamic Volume function in Day mode really helps keep me from volume juggling when watching films at night whilst keeping noticable deviations in sonic character to a pretty acceptable minimum. Normally I keep these extra processing modes off but have found that Dynamic Volume is the best tool for "night mode" listening that I have used yet.

matthewpiano

I'm surprised you aren't getting the sound you expect from this combination. Sony always use B&W speakers for their HT demonstrations as there is a consensus that the two brands work very well together and it shows both the Sony electronics and the B&W speakers in the best possible light.

Maybe the B&W sound just isn't for you and the slightly brighter MA signature might suit you much better. Both are superb designers and manufacturers of speaker systems.

A

Anonymous

I have heard the RX8's and thought they souneded greatand could almost reach out and touch th singers

Haven't heard the RX6's though but I have ordered them on the strength of the ratings etc on several forums and Mags Plus after hearing the 8's I didn;t think there could be that much difference

Good luck
emotion-21.gif

BJB

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
piobob:

I have heard the RX8's and thought they souneded greatand could almost reach out and touch th singers

Haven't heard the RX6's though but I have ordered them on the strength of the ratings etc on several forums and Mags Plus after hearing the 8's I didn;t think there could be that much difference

Good luck
emotion-21.gif

Thanks to everyone above for all the input. I have ordered the MA's and should have delivery on Thursday. I will post my impressions some time next week.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts