B&W PV1 set up?

gisgillen

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
HI! I`m hoping to find a second hand PV1 to complement my XT4 speakers and Denon DRA 700AE receiever (80 watts RMS per channel). There is a subwoofer input on the Denon. Is it simply a matter of plugging the PV1 into there and then into the mains?? I love my set up and listen lots and am very happy, but I`m not technically very smart! So simply put answers would be appreciated. Thanks to you all. PS I would need about a fifteen metre long lead to go round the room. no choice here.

insider9

Yes, you can connect the sub via the sub pre outs to your amp. Sub will need to be powered from mains, so make sure you have a spare socket. Unfortunately this is where the simplicity ends. It will be down to you to integrate subwoofer and the speakers. Subwoofer has settings that determine its volume and the frequency it will play at. Integration (how well speakers and sub play together) is not only equipment and room specific but also room placement specific. It will be difficult to help you to do this on a forum as even where you sit in the room will make a difference. It's not impossible but you'll need to answer a lot of questions :)

It's also likely you will run the sub too loud making overall sound quality worse and not better. Which we won't be able to help with.

Ideally you'd need a measurement microphone. You mention not being very technical. It shouldn't be a problem however it may take far longer.

Onto more technical bits. By the looks of it your Denon doesn't have high pass filter when subwoofer is engaged. That means your speakers will play full range and you will need to utilise the crossover built into the sub. That's makes it a tad more difficult to integrate and doesn't give you as much benefit.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
insider9 said:
Onto more technical bits. By the looks of it your Denon doesn't have high pass filter when subwoofer is engaged. That means your speakers will play full range and you will need to utilise the crossover built into the sub. That's makes it a tad more difficult to integrate and doesn't give you as much benefit.

The PV1 has a line-in and line-out, so I guess you could send the full signal into the sub and send the high-pass signal back to the amp. Not sure if the Denon has the appropriate connections for that though...

gisgillen

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
Thanks to you both for your comments. So the Denon doesn`t have a high pass filter...I`m lost. And as for `sending the full signal into the sub and sending the high pass signal back to the amp´ I`m just as lost?? Would it be a waste of money or would it work...if I got some help??!! Thanks again.

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
It is very difficult to integrate a sub into a normal hifi 2 channel setup, with 2 channel Amps and stereo receivers.

May be you can do without a sub if you just change to speakers that can go deeper in the bass.

Or alternately you can consider buying an av receiver that will integrate very well with a sub. In which case you will have to spend on both the pv1 sub as well as a avr. So as insider 9, rightly mentioned, maybe better to change speakers if you want more bass :)

gisgillen

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
Thank you again for your comments. I will not upgrade my speakers or amplifier. Think I can get a second hand PV1 for 3, maybe 400 euros. Room size about 25-30 square metres and no neighbours...wonderful. Only music. Why so hard to set up with a 2 channel set up? Will it make a difference if I get help setting it up, or should I just buy a new hoover instead?!

insider9

It's mainly because bass is the most difficult to get right in any room. Having the sub and deep bass makes it even harder. If you can get a sub to try, do it. But don't spend much as there is no guarantee it will work as you think it will. It may just turn in to boomy mess that smears midrange and overpowers everything.

It would help if you have a friend who's done something similar.

insider9

If you see one for less than they normally sell, just buy it. You can experiment all you like and if you don't like sell without a loss. Or maybe make a tiny profit :)

Happy Christmas to you, too!

newlash09

Aug 28, 2015
Visit site
Get a sub . And maybe you won't have any issues with it or maybe you will have. Let's hope you don't have any to start with. However, if you do have, let us know here.

Iam from India, and we have diy audio online store here. And they have crossover boxes that go for 30 pounds. If you can find one similar site in the UK, then not too much of a hassle plugging one into your speaker outputs for high pass filter to tame the bass in case you have a problem there :)

gisgillen

Jan 21, 2016
Visit site
Thank you also newlash09! If I see the PV1 at a good price I`ll go for it. I don`t know what a crossover box is?? Sorry. But I`ll give it a go anyway. So, you`re in warm India...I`m in chilly Finland! A Happy Christmas to you too!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts