B&W MT-30 vs Monitor Audio Apex

gosalh

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Hi Guys,

Anyone comment or suggest which system is the more superior one?

I know MT-30s are award winners for 5 years now, but the Apex is a new system and i'm guessing more up to date with technology; not sure if anyone on the forum owns the Apex?

Also i'm not sure if Monitor Audio are any good as a manufacturer as they don't appear to be as well established as B&W?

Any help will be much appreciated

Thanks

Harpreet

kinda

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Heard the MT-30 in demo before and wasn't that impressed for the price, especially at the top end. I thought standard Tannoy Arena was much better all round.

Since the Apex are more in line cost wise with the Arena Highline 500 I'd expect them to comprehensively beat the MT-30, but have not heard them.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The Apex is a step up from the MT-30 - as you'd expect for a product that got the full five stars from us despite carrying a significant premium over the B&W package.

Definitely one to demo, but with decent amplification (ditto the MT-30s).

And Monitor Audio is a long-established British company with a range of Awards (from us and others) under its belt.

Sliced Bread

Clare Newsome:
The Apex is a step up from the MT-30 - as you'd expect for a product that got the full five stars from us despite carrying a significant premium over the B&W package.

Definitely one to demo, but with decent amplification (ditto the MT-30s).

And Monitor Audio is a long-established British company with a range of Awards (from us and others) under its belt.

Hey Claire,

How is it with music?

michael hoy

kinda:
Heard the MT-30 in demo before and wasn't that impressed for the price, especially at the top end. I thought standard Tannoy Arena was much better all round.

Since the Apex are more in line cost wise with the Arena Highline 500 I'd expect them to comprehensively beat the MT-30, but have not heard them.

Hi,

I have the Apex and they do beat the MT-30 IMO, They may cost more but the sound is so good.

I auditioned these with an Onkyo 608 and an Arcam 500, they sounded good on the Onkyo but blew me away on the Arcam.

Eventually I changed from my Denon 1909 to the Pioneer SC-LX72 and they really sing with the Pioneer.

def lugs

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
For similiar money to MT30's it might be worth checking out Monitor Audio's R270HD10 system. I find the floor standers up front do a great job both with music and movies. More importantly, my wife also thinks they fit in well with the decor.

D

Deleted member 2457

def lugs:For similiar money to MT30's it might be worth checking out Monitor Audio's R270HD10 system. I find the floor standers up front do a great job both with music and movies. More importantly, my wife also thinks they fit in well with the decor.

Can i just ask what amp do you have them with?

Cheers
emotion-21.gif

gosalh

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys for the useful information.

I was really hoping that B&W would release an update to the MT-30, i maybe kicking myself if they release one in the next couple of months. Would Whathifi have any info on whether B&W are scheduled to release an update?

Also would anyone recommend an amp to go with the Apex? I love Denon amps and I currently own a Denon AVR-1910 which i'm guessing will under perform and not do justice for the Apex.

Yamaha receivers are known to pair very well with MA speakers. Check out Yamaha RX-V2067, 1067, and Denon 3311, 2311. michael hoy (another forum member) is pleased with Pioneer SC LX72, although this combination is too bright for my taste.

Audition them & see what you like.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We checked with B&W recently and there's no MT-30 upgrade due.

And, as i noted right up top, you need to drive the Apex well - excellent though your Denon is with smaller packages, this is a £2000+ speaker package that deserves to be matched with a higher-end amp.

Think this year's best £1000+ amps (or previous year's amps that cost at least that new).

Get auditioning!

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
well from what i know about home cniema speakers, when aluminium boxes are involved the sound is always a bit coroured.

michael hoy

Hi BB,

I thought the Pioneer / Apex combo would be bright, but it just isn't, my Denon and Def Tech combo were brighter.

The sound is rather similar to the Apex / Arcam combo I auditioned when looking for the Apex, but I respect your opinion as we all hear and see things differently. It would be a boring world if we didn't.

A

Anonymous

Clare Newsome:
ear:the Apex having aliminium casing , aren't a bit colored in the sound?

How do you figure that one? These aren't coke cans
emotion-40.gif

emotion-2.gif

ear:well from what i know about home cniema speakers, when aluminium boxes are involved the sound is always a bit coroured.

According to Monitor Audio website,

"the single bolt fixings for its drivers give the longer A40 cabinet an especially rigid structure, banishing any hint of boxy colouration, especially from on-wall positions."

Hi michael hoy, You're right. It will be a boring place if we all had the same listening preferences! Maybe that your ears were accustomed to brightness of your earlier combination, so anything less bright sounded much better. Or you simply prefer a hint of brightness in your setup, which always brings that extra oomph in movies. I personally can't stand any hint of brightness....I prefer warm setups.

Or maybe the Apex isn't as bright as Radius HD. I haven't heard the Apex speakers properly yet (only heard while I was at my local dealer for something else). I'll check them out at Manchester hi-fi show next month.

The bottomline is, audition different receivers: Yamaha RX-V2067, Yamaha RX-V3067, Denon AVR-3311, Pioneer SC-LX72/73, Onkyo TX-NR808/1008 & see which you prefer the most.

D

Deleted member 2457

Clare Newsome:

We checked with B&W recently and there's no MT-30 upgrade due.

And, as i noted right up top, you need to drive the Apex well - excellent though your Denon is with smaller packages, this is a £2000+ speaker package that deserves to be matched with a higher-end amp.

Think this year's best £1000+ amps (or previous year's amps that cost at least that new).

Get auditioning!

I was speaking with someone from my local shop and they are very big on there B&W speakers and the B&W MT30 speaker package was the biggest selling speaker package for them by a large margin.

So i really can not see them changing them, i mean if it aint broke no need fixing it.
emotion-21.gif

gosalh

May 27, 2010
Visit site
Thanks guys!!

My final questions, i'm not that technical when it comes to frequencies etc. Does the Apex system cover all of the highs, lows and mids? Unlike the cr@ppy Bose i currently own :-(.

Also would anyone know if the Denon AVR-3311 would be a good partner for this system?

I'm looking for a style speaker package and my budget is up to £3500. I want to purchase a system by Xmas but have been doing my research and will start to book demos soon.

Thanks to everyone for their advice!

both.of.me

Mar 2, 2010
Visit site
gosalh:
Thanks guys!!

My final questions, i'm not that technical when it comes to frequencies etc. Does the Apex system cover all of the highs, lows and mids? Unlike the cr@ppy Bose i currently own :-(.

Also would anyone know if the Denon AVR-3311 would be a good partner for this system?

I'm looking for a style speaker package and my budget is up to £3500. I want to purchase a system by Xmas but have been doing my research and will start to book demos soon.

Thanks to everyone for their advice!

I'd recommend looking at Denon 3311, Marantz sr7005 (my personal favorites at this price point) if you could get your budget to stretch a bit the Arcam AVR500 is a stunner.

gosalh: My final questions, i'm not that technical when it comes to frequencies etc. Does the Apex system cover all of the highs, lows and mids? Unlike the cr@ppy Bose i currently own :-(.

Yes it does. You will notice a definite improvement over Bose.

Denon 3311 should partner excellently, but definitely audition your options & listen to a range of receivers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts