B&W FPM5 fronts and Mission m-cube surround/sub

keiser1

Dec 8, 2008
Visit site
Hello all,

I had alittle nose in my local a av shop today and i'm thinking of an upgrading (again) my 3 front channels to the b&w fpm5's and keeping the 2 m-cube surround channels and m-cube sub. I dont use the supplied 'umbillicle cord' that comes with the m-cube package therefore i'll be running all the channels straight into the amp. I'm not to fussed about looks its just cost keeping me from using the smaller b&w's for the surround and buying new sub.

Anyone got some advice on this?

D

Deleted member 2457

Well the B&W FPM are fantastic speakers, they are my favourite speakers and they were great with pioneer amps.

I have the FPM5 as my centre speaker and it is one of the best centre speakers i have ever heard
emotion-21.gif

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
I'm not sure these would be a great match tonally. I used to have mission 77DS rears combined with B&W 600 series fronts and there was a great deal of tonal inconsistency between the front and rear soundstage. Admittedly you're using different speakers, but in my experience Mission and B&W speakers sounds very different from one another...

keiser1

Dec 8, 2008
Visit site
Thats what i was thinking, i thought i might be taking a chance there, there seems to be an unwritten rule that you should ideally stick with the same manufacturer, which i suppose makes sense. Strapped for cash What sub did you use with that set up?

Maybe if i used 2 b&w m1 sats for the rears, any ideas if that would work?

strapped for cash

Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
Actually I didn't (and still don't) use a sub, as I lived in a semi-detached house and now a flat; and in both cases I had/have no wish to upset my neighbours.

The M1 as rears solution sounds like a good one. All your speakers would use B&Ws Nautilus tweeters, so the intergration between front and rear, I would think, would be much better than if you stick with the Mission cube satellites.

To be sure, ask your hi-fi dealer to hook up the large B&W fronts with M1 rears and see what you think. You should be onto a winner with that combo (if you can't accomodate larger standmount rear speakers or stretch your budget to the expensive B&W DS3 dipole speakers).

D

Deleted member 2457

strapped for cash:

Actually I didn't (and still don't) use a sub, as I lived in a semi-detached house and now a flat; and in both cases I had/have no wish to upset my neighbours.

The M1 as rears solution sounds like a good one. All your speakers would use B&Ws Nautilus tweeters, so the intergration between front and rear, I would think, would be much better than if you stick with the Mission cube satellites.

To be sure, ask your hi-fi dealer to hook up the large B&W fronts with M1 rears and see what you think. You should be onto a winner with that combo (if you can't accomodate larger standmount rear speakers or stretch your budget to the expensive B&W DS3 dipole speakers).

That sounds like sound advice to me
emotion-21.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts