Thoughts about upgrade path?

I'm very happy with my TV and BR player, and am thinking about upgrades to AV amp and speakers. Music is not a consideration, as hifi is separate, and always will be.

The amp is a Denon AVRX2200W, costing around £400 in 2016. I understand that Denon is still well thought-of in this area and I'm hoping the IR codes would be unchanged, so my remote won't need any reprogramming. Any personal experience of their current range? I'm not thinking of more than the AVC-X3700 in terms of budget.

Speaker set up is a mixed bag. I originally had Mordaunt Short's Genie package, and the fronts, side and rear are still from this, with the fronts being centres, if that makes sense. But I'd had an issue with and with the matching sub, so these were replaced with less 'lifestyle' items, an Aviano 5 centre (£220 or so) and an Aviano 7 sub (just over £400).

I'm not unhappy with the bass, and am mainly looking at making the surround feel more immersive and having greater clarity. The fronts, side and rear pair still need to be small - they are all wall-mounted and I don't want large boxes - not even conventional standmounters, really.

I understand the suggestion that keeping the speakers within one manufacturer should ensure that they are even tonally, but I'm not sure that matters as much as it won't play music at all.

My questions are:

- Do retailers allow some mix-and match? I don't really want a small, 'lifestyle' centre as I think this would compromise dialogue, so prefer a conventionally-sized centre - whether it's the one I have or a new one.

- Would the sub and centre be letting something like the Denon I am considering down?

- Suggestions for gear? I am not thinking of spending more on speakers than amp, so budget will be £1k or so too.

I like the look of these, though obviously would need another surround, but possibly not the sub:

Bowers & Wilkins MT-50 White (richersounds.com)

TRENDING THREADS