B&W CM1

Dermondo

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
Hi all, at the moment I have a pair of B&W DM603S2, an old set indeed but in my opinion a cracking set of speakers and its the bass, detail and attack in particular, music would be mainly, rock, indie and dance and also work well in my movie/bluray set up.

I have the option of auditioning a pair of B&W CM1's, but before that the question i'm posing is there any point if i'm happy with my current set of speakers, but on the other hand am I missing an opportunity, many thanks in advance.

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
dont bother spend £450-£500 on media instead over the next year you will enjoy that more and as you said your system is giving you want you want.

i really have soft spot for the cm1's they look the business and they sound really good at low and high volume they offer good bass unless your into dance or rock in a big way then a sub can be added.

I found they did not shout at you at high volumes like the 685's,marx1's and kef iq30's. I also found that the treble was a class apart from the others yes they were £100-£200 more than some i demo'd but the tweeter was very very good. They had laid back sound that i love. So i would still demo but i dont think these are for you. And i would not swap speakers if i was happy i have read loads of people spending 3k and still trying to tweak it. Its all about the music you love sounding good to good nothing else and then getting that for your budget is the test.

Dermondo

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
Thanks for informitive reply and you have brought up and few other points I may not have considered.

But as you said I may go for an demo just to make a more informitive decision and to answer some questions I have been pondering.

Dermondo said:
Hi all, at the moment I have a pair of B&W DM603S2, an old set indeed but in my opinion a cracking set of speakers and its the bass, detail and attack in particular, music would be mainly, rock, indie and dance and also work well in my movie/bluray set up. I have the option of auditioning a pair of B&W CM1's, but before that the question i'm posing is there any point if i'm happy with my current set of speakers, but on the other hand am I missing an opportunity, many thanks in advance.

Hi Dermondo

What amplifier and source component/s do you use?

Your interconnect/s and speaker cables are?

What do you generally listen to?

The size of your room?

Your general listening level?

With a pair CM1's what areas of improvement are you looking for over the 603S2's and the system as a whole to achieve?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Dermondo said:
Hi all, at the moment I have a pair of B&W DM603S2, an old set indeed but in my opinion a cracking set of speakers and its the bass, detail and attack in particular, music would be mainly, rock, indie and dance and also work well in my movie/bluray set up. I have the option of auditioning a pair of B&W CM1's, but before that the question i'm posing is there any point if i'm happy with my current set of speakers, but on the other hand am I missing an opportunity, many thanks in advance.

If you're happy with the 603s but itching (a little) to upgrade, I'd say an audition is paramount.

Dermondo

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Dermondo said:

Hi Dermondo

I have Denon 2311 amp, sony blu ray & Arcam rDac

Nordost interconnects & nordost flatline speaker cable

Indie, dance, radiohead, white stripes, jack johnson to name but a few

The size of your room?

Approx 12m x 6mtr

about 49- 25db

With a pair CM1's what areas of improvement are you looking for over the 603S2's and the system as a whole to achieve?

All the best

Soundstaging & openness

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

With the music you like and the size of your room CM1 are out of the question. But you are not using the speakers to the full potential because of the home cinema amp. If it is for music, a stereo amp like Rotel 04, 05, 06 or even better - Rotel 1520, and the stands, and place the speakers one meter off the back wall and you will discover a miracle.

A

Anonymous

I have DM603 S3 and rotel 05. (soon to be given to my nephew when he gets his degree) A year ago a replaced it with B&W 685 and rotel 1520 and I must say that Radiohead on that setup is FANTASTIC. I love rock but I also listen to classical music and 603 S3 had too much unnatural bass. 685 can dig deep with rock and they are faster than 603. (but 685 needed two weeks to beat my 603)

Dermondo said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Dermondo said:

Hi Dermondo

I have Denon 2311 amp, sony blu ray & Arcam rDac

Nordost interconnects & nordost flatline speaker cable

Indie, dance, radiohead, white stripes, jack johnson to name but a few

The size of your room?

Approx 12m x 6mtr

about 49- 25db

All the best

Soundstaging & openness

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Dermondo

Thanks for your reply.

The CM1's will offer you superior soundstaging and openess however for your room and what you listen to then i feel it will be a case of one step forward and two steps back. Your 603S2's are still good speakers and there is more that can be had from them. A change of amplifer (as also suggested by Hi Fi biker) is what you should consider. Although the amplifier i'll recommend is the NAD C356BEE. The superior quality of the C356BEE will help the amp lock on to and therefore open your performance of your 603S2's much further. You'll hear improvements in areas such as the sound being more open, better soundstaging etc.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Dermondo

Oct 4, 2009
Visit site
Again thanks to all who took the time to reply.

Firstly I had an inkling that the CM1's might be a wee bit small for my room dimensions, but it's interesting that an intergrated amp is a clear recommendation here and I was inclined to go down the side of a power amp, i'll do a bit of investigating regarding the amps mentioned and see where it takes me in the future.

TRENDING THREADS