B&W 684 or 683

A

Anonymous

hi

i auditioned 684, Cm1 tow days before connected to Arcam Stereo integrated amp. To my ears 684 felt clogged and almost no sounstage compared to Cm1, i have not heard 683 but have heard that they have betteer midrange due to FSt and naturally deeper punchier bass. But if you are moving from 685 you might have to go one range higher for same soundtage and imaging like CM floorstanders Cm7 etc.

kasper v said:
hey im new on the forum :D my system is current Cambridge 740a B&W 685 NAD C545. my room is 16 which choice is the best for my room 684 or 683? :)

Hi kasper v

Welcome :)

Just to get a clearer picture -

What do you and anyone else who is also likely to use the system generally listen to?

The size of your room?

Ceiling height?

Shape of your room?

Is the room lightly or heavily furnished?

Will you use the speakers across or the length of the room?

Room walls are (concrete, brick etc.)?

Room positioning of the new speakers (distance to walls, corners, will there be anything between the speakers such as a chimney breast, cabinet, windows etc.)?

Distance between the speakers?

Listening distance?

Will anything be in the way of the speakers?

Room floor is (concrete, carpeted, marble,wooden etc.)?

Your general listening level?

Interconnects and speaker cables are?

Are your current speakers stand, shelf or wall mounted?

Will you be auditioning the speakers before you buy?

Do you use the bass/treble controls on the amp?

Your impression/thoughts of your current system are?

With a change of speakers what kind of presentation are you looking for the system to reproduce?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

MUSICRAFT said:
kasper v said:
hey im new on the forum :D my system is current Cambridge 740a B&W 685 NAD C545. my room is 16 which choice is the best for my room 684 or 683? :)

Hi kasper v

Welcome :)

Just to get a clearer picture -

What do you and anyone else who is also likely to use the system generally listen to?

The size of your room?

Ceiling height?

Shape of your room?

Is the room lightly or heavily furnished?

Will you use the speakers across or the length of the room?

Room walls are (concrete, brick etc.)?

Room positioning of the new speakers (distance to walls, corners, will there be anything between the speakers such as a chimney breast, cabinet, windows etc.)?

Distance between the speakers?

Listening distance?

Will anything be in the way of the speakers?

Room floor is (concrete, carpeted, marble,wooden etc.)?

Your general listening level?

Interconnects and speaker cables are?

Are your current speakers stand, shelf or wall mounted?

Will you be auditioning the speakers before you buy?

Do you use the bass/treble controls on the amp?

Your impression/thoughts of your current system are?

With a change of speakers what kind of presentation are you looking for the system to reproduce?

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Shouldn't you also ask the OP what he has for breakfast?

A

Anonymous

Hi,

To put it simply, if your room is 16x16m the 683,s

If your room is 16m2, its down to you, whether you prefere the extra bass the 683's will muster, or the slighty better rest of the spectum the 684's will deliever.

Either choise is good.

plastic penguin said:
chebby said:
plastic penguin said:

Whether grapefruit, porridge or 'full English', Rick's answer would still be ATC SCM11s.

LMNO - at last, someone on the same wavelength...

You've made my day. Wicked.

Hi plastic penguin

You've made my day too by not bringing up the best performing integrated amplifier up to £1k ;) Perhaps you're saving it for dessert :D

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

MUSICRAFT said:
plastic penguin said:
chebby said:
plastic penguin said:

Whether grapefruit, porridge or 'full English', Rick's answer would still be ATC SCM11s.

LMNO - at last, someone on the same wavelength...

You've made my day. Wicked.

Hi plastic penguin

You've made my day too by not bringing up the best performing integrated amplifier up to £1k ;) Perhaps you're saving it for dessert :D

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Nah, lost me on that one...:~ Never have dessert at breakfast.

eternaloptimist

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
I used to own the B&W 683s. Great speakers for bassy rock / AV IMHO.Probably wouldn't get them for classical music.

But... the bass is flabby if the amp doesnt have enough power to control it. I found my old Cyrus 8vs2 didnt have enough grunt - until an X Power was added :)

Just my 2 cents...

A

Anonymous

maverickguru said:
hi

i auditioned 684, Cm1 tow days before connected to Arcam Stereo integrated amp. To my ears 684 felt clogged and almost no sounstage compared to Cm1, i have not heard 683 but have heard that they have betteer midrange due to FSt and naturally deeper punchier bass. But if you are moving from 685 you might have to go one range higher for same soundtage and imaging like CM floorstanders Cm7 etc.

I agree with this, had the 684 with the Arcam A38 and found that this partnership was just missing the zest/sparkle in the sound. So eventually ended up using the 684 with the Pioneer LX83 (which works a treat) for AV use and bought the Monitor Audio RX2 for the Arcam.

TRENDING THREADS