AVI vs SONOS

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
I think we could do this Top Trumps style. Then it may work. Especially if we added like, Naim, B&O, Yamaha, etc...

So then if I picked the Avi card and chose "Value for money", I may win with an 8 over a 6 compared to Sonos.

But if I took "Functionality" then I'd lose with a 4 over an 8.

or something.

The best card would obviously be the Space Shuttle...or a Ferarri.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
daveh75 said:
Pfft. 8 to 6 to AVI

Compared to something like a Play 5 they look piss poor in VFM terms...
Only if you discount sound quality.

In which case they all look terrible compared to my little mini speaker I use at work.

Either way, it doesn't matter, I didn't always agree with the Top Trumps ratings either...I didn't ONCE complain on an online forum though :)

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
As ever thinking outside of the box is wrong I have seen AVI products on sale with Subwoofer for £1100. In this simple comparison I have merely stated that a benchmark of 330kbps for music which the majority use what is a good system for the money in comparison it could be 2 Play 3 with Subwoofer or Playbar with Subwoofer for people who dont want wires dominating there small front room as again the AVI would only have connection to source and subwoofer be it NAS drive and PC/Mac. No different to Cambridge Audio, Marantz versus Naim & Cyrus. Blah, blah, blah is more expensive but however it justifies the cost. There is a multitude of Sonos gear that can be integrated. SACD exhibited beyond stereo playback, why can't affordable downloadable tracks produce this level of interest

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
shado said:
As ever thinking outside of the box is wrong I have seen AVI products on sale with Subwoofer for £1100. In this simple comparison I have merely stated that a benchmark of 330kbps for music which the majority use what is a good system for the money in comparison it could be 2 Play 3 with Subwoofer or Playbar with Subwoofer for people who dont want wires dominating there small front room as again the AVI would only have connection to source and subwoofer be it NAS drive and PC/Mac. No different to Cambridge Audio, Marantz versus Naim & Cyrus. Blah, blah, blah is more expensive but however it justifies the cost. There is a multitude of Sonos gear that can be integrated. SACD exhibited beyond stereo playback, why can't affordable downloadable tracks produce this level of interest
Your comparison is so far outside the box as to be in fact sitting on a window-ledge in a Tasmanian brothel surrounded by scented candles.

There is no real point in a comparison of products that aren't competing in the same market, and are in fact compatible as products to be used together.

It isn't like someone in the market for Avi speakers is going to change their mind and buy Sonos. It is however, very likely that someone in the market for Avi Speakers will use a Sonos product for source.

In fact to my mind, Sonos is one of the best sources you can use for Avi speakers. Apple products less so because of the frequent problems and drop outs, which the "salesperson" seems to like to deny (possibly an Apple share holder).

Either way. Sonos and Avi don't compete.

It's like asking if a Panasonic Plasma TV is better than a Denon blu ray player.

Personally I think the Clangers were great and the remake is a little troublesome.

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
ah the complexity of correct parameters........

Soundbars 3 years ago were crap, not a patch on a proper Receiver, 5.1 speakers

Sonos brings out the playbar and now Soundbars are acceptable, a good format against the trend??

Now try reverse logic can a soundbar do music and it will receive many negative plaudits and yet in 3 years time..... get the picture (sorry sound) we need different logic now not in the distant future with no electric to support it!! not in this country

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
No offence SHado, but you sound like one of those emails I get sometimes. The spam ones that try to avoid the spam filter by saying lots of words that separately have meaning, but together sound like the Spanish version of Buzz-lightyear.

Hmm.

shado said:
ah the complexity of correct parameters........

Soundbars 3 years ago were crap, not a patch on a proper Receiver, 5.1 speakers

Sonos brings out the playbar and now Soundbars are acceptable, a good format against the trend??

Now try reverse logic can a soundbar do music and it will receive many negative plaudits and yet in 3 years time..... get the picture (sorry sound) we need different logic now not in the distant future with no electric to support it!! not in this country

Not sure what you mean by "soundbars are acceptable due to playbar". I don't think playbar ever made soundbars popular. It only has an optical connection, so severely compromised on connections. A playbar makes sense only if you want the Sonos feature in that room.

TRENDING THREADS