AVI vs SONOS

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Would it be prudent before high resolution Tracks take of to have a proper test between AVI and Sonos gear tested at a benchmark 320kbps in all available guises to see what is Top Gun between these entities.Just a thought i'm sure this post will disappear into obscurity

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
The_Lhc said:
What are you on about? They're completely different entities. It's like trying to compare a CD player with the KEF LS50s or something.

+1. I am afraid OP that you are, or have been, confused about the nature of the products available from these two companies. :?

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Hardly, both can handle music formats at this level. AVI recommends Apple & Sonos can accommodate Apple. It doesn't have to be awkward. I am sure Nas drives vs cloud etc would make an interesting read/comparison maybe including tablets. Again just a thought

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Which products by these companies are you intending to compare? As far as I can tell, none of the products made by AVI or Sonos would be considered similar, so I'm equally confused by this.

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Well extraodinally people don't like different. AVI have always stipulated their products were geared towards apple and they do speakers plus a subwoofer to enhance this format. Sonos now have have Playbar, Play 1, 3 & 5 & surprisingly a Subwoofer. unfortunately the dullards on this forum who can't think outside of the box cannot comprehend this format may work for audio rather than video

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
shado said:
Hardly, both can handle music formats at this level. AVI recommends Apple & Sonos can accommodate Apple. It doesn't have to be awkward. I am sure Nas drives vs cloud etc would make an interesting read/comparison maybe including tablets. Again just a thought

How exactly do AVIs products read from a NAS drive (or cloud) or function as a multi-room system?

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Anyroad I am now working back on a non nuclear submarine and I would encourage anyone who would like a visit to this piece of british history to type in HMS COUREAGEOUS on the website

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
shado said:
Well extraodinally people don't like different. AVI have always stipulated their products were geared towards apple and they do speakers plus a subwoofer to enhance this format. Sonos now have have Playbar, Play 1, 3 & 5 & surprisingly a Subwoofer. unfortunately the dullards on this forum who can't think outside of the box cannot comprehend this format may work for audio rather than video

Well, thanks for the insult, but I still don't see it. Not only do the price brackets make comparisons ridiculous, but the two products aren't intended for the same general use.

Comparing the Sonos Play:5 with the AVI ADM 9RS would be the equivalent of comparing a car stereo with a living room hi-fi. Yes, they both play music, but they're built for completely different markets so any comparison has little to no relevance.

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
presumably they connect via the numerous digital connections at their disposal be it laptop/PC/APPLE Products. My cocktail audio provides feedback via optical connection which I can project via Sonos. Is this wrong? are AVI incapable of this??

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
shado said:
presumably they connect via the numerous digital connections at their disposal be it laptop/PC/APPLE Products. My cocktail audio provides feedback via optical connection which I can project via Sonos. Is this wrong? are AVI incapable of this??

Sonos reads from a NAS (any NAS, nearly) via an ethernet connection, AVI's ADM 9 series would only be able to take a connection from a NAS that has its own audio player and and optical output, which is a small number (but growing). Fundamentally they do not do the same thing, the AVI has no network capabilities.

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
I am happy to be proven wrong by the Exeter expert but the question is that Sonos can provide audio at a certain level and so is AVI no matter what format is provided. As Sonos is limited by DTS Audio/HD Audio I think Prof Hat was unfair saying this is not a fair test. Sometines the unexplixable ios a result

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
I am happy to be proven wrong by the Exeter expert but the question is that Sonos can provide audio at a certain level and so is AVI no matter what format is provided. As Sonos is limited by DTS Audio/HD Audio I think Prof Hat was unfair saying this is not a fair test. Sometines the unexplixable ios a result

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
shado said:
I am happy to be proven wrong by the Exeter expert

Who?

but the question is that Sonos can provide audio at a certain level and so is AVI no matter what format is provided.

I don't actually understand what that means.

As Sonos is limited by DTS Audio/HD Audio I think Prof Hat was unfair saying this is not a fair test. Sometines the unexplixable ios a result

Errr, the Sonos Playbar can't handle DTS audio at all or HD audio (if you mean Dolby TrueHD by that) of any format, it only accepts Dolby Digital. The 2 channel devices can handle 16-bit audio up to 48KHz, nothing more than that.

I don't know what sort of audio the AVI DAC can deal with beyond CD quality but it certainly doesn't do multi-channel audio of any kind.

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
That's what I meant The LHC Sonos is not capable of DTS Audio plus Dolby True HD what it is capable is the aforementioned apple 330kbps so it is wrong to justify a full Sonos Playbar combining S5, Play 3 &1 against in whatever combinations against AVI systems comprising a subwoofer.

Why is that hard to justify and to recommend to people with small living rooms actually A vs B and we would recommend...............

Just a thought

Ok, AVI are mere active speakers, nothing more. Sonos is a complete system, capable of functioning on its own.

Do you mean comparing. Sonos Play:5 with AVI speakers connected to a source (be it a Sonos Connect or a computer)?

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Is this for a home cinema setup then? Because AVI don't do home cinema setups - they do active hi-fi speakers.

To reiterate, what components are you comparing? A Sonos Playbar with sub would cost £1,200, whereas the AVI ADM 9RS with ADM9 sub would be £2,050. That's quite a big price difference.

And I still don't really understand why you'd think someone would choose either one or other of these. They really do fulfill quite different requirements.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
John Duncan said:
I wonder if the OP means 'AV system'. If you read the thread replacing all instances of 'AVI' with 'AV' it makes more sense...

I'd agree, except for the references to AVI recommending Apple - which doesn't really work when you replace with AV...

shado said:
That's what I meant The LHC Sonos is not capable of DTS Audio plus Dolby True HD what it is capable is the aforementioned apple 330kbps so it is wrong to justify a full Sonos Playbar combining S5, Play 3 &1 against in whatever combinations against AVI systems comprising a subwoofer.

Why is that hard to justify and to recommend to people with small living rooms actually A vs B and we would recommend...............

Just a thought

I'm really confused here. Dolby True HD etc. are movie soundtracks, not music. AVI are only speakers, so audio decoding depends on whatever you connect it to.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts