AVI Neutron Five 2.1

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Just bought the above and was able to audition the ADM9.1T at the same time (the ebayer seller had both systems). I hope to post a review shortly.

John Duncan

A review of both, I hope...
emotion-2.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
PJPro:Just bought the above and was able to audition the ADM9.1T at the same time (the ebayer seller had both systems). I hope to post a review shortly.

Can you review them from listening to them in your living room first? (Rather than in your kitchen which is where you said they will end up in your recent thread).

I have never seen the 5.2.1 system reviewed independently and kitchens tend to be a 'hard' environment. (No carpets, lots of cupboards etc.)

The Neutron 5 2.1 system is the one that interests me most out of AVI's present (and future) product line-up.

A

Anonymous

Good stuff PJPro, in my opinion you've bought a very good quality system for what must be a good price (anything less than the new price). I don't know what Martin Grindrod (AVI designer) has for breakfast but it works!

Enjoy.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
The seller had an Apple TV providing the source with lossy files. He didn't know the bitrate off hand. The ADM9.1Ts were on stands with the sub off to one side. The N5 speakers were on cardboard boxes in front of the ADT9.1T speakers, as was the N5 sub.

Initially, on playing the 9.1Ts the sub was far too over blown. The seller offered to adjust it and tweaked it down a fair bit to re-inforce the speakers rather than dominate them. He put on some country and western stuff and I was immediately impressed with the clarity of sound, the full mid-range and tight bass. Vocals were clear and crisp. The treble was on its way to harsh but without ever reaching it. This was a sound which was definately competing with my headphone rig...but with a sound stage.

What really surprised me was that the Neutron 5 system wasn't far behind! OK, the ADM9.1Ts were better but, for me at least, it wasn't night and day. Sure, the scale of the music was larger (as you'd expect from the bigger speakers)...the mid range more evident and, perhaps handled more delicately but, given the difference in price, there wasn't a lot in it (for me). Definately last 5-10%.

More to follow......

A

Anonymous

You bought Phil's system!

Would love to hear how you get on with it.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
igglebert:You bought Phil's system!

Would love to hear how you get on with it.
Yep. Nice bloke. He's had lots of kit over the years. Now only uses AVI.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
chebby:
PJPro:Just bought the above and was able to audition the ADM9.1T at the same time (the ebayer seller had both systems). I hope to post a review shortly.

Can you review them from listening to them in your living room first? (Rather than in your kitchen which is where you said they will end up in your recent thread).

I have never seen the 5.2.1 system reviewed independently and kitchens tend to be a 'hard' environment. (No carpets, lots of cupboards etc.)

The Neutron 5 2.1 system is the one that interests me most out of AVI's present (and future) product line-up.

Hmm. Already in the kitchen I'm afraid. I set them up as soon as I got back.

A

Anonymous

PJPro:The seller had an Apple TV providing the source with lossy files. He didn't know the bitrate off hand. The ADM9.1Ts were on stands with the sub off to one side. The N5 speakers were on cardboard boxes in front of the ADT9.1T speakers, as was the N5 sub.Initially, on playing the 9.1Ts the sub was far too over blown. The seller offered to adjust it and tweaked it down a fair bit to re-inforce the speakers rather than dominate them. He put on some country and western stuff and I was immediately impressed with the clarity of sound, the full mid-range and tight bass. Vocals were clear and crisp. The treble was on its way to harsh but without ever reaching it. This was a sound which was definately competing with my headphone rig...but with a sound stage.What really surprised me was that the Neutron 5 system wasn't far behind! OK, the ADM9.1Ts were better but, for me at least, it wasn't night and day. Sure, the scale of the music was larger (as you'd expect from the bigger speakers)...the mid range more evident and, perhaps handled more delicately but, given the difference in price, there wasn't a lot in it (for me). Definately last 5-10%.More to follow......

Hi PJ et al.,

Thought I would join in. I have just registered here and am responsible for relieving PJ of a wad of cash yesterday for the aforementioned AVI system

Because the system sold so quickly on ebay, I did not have time to set it up properly, just enough to test it was all working properly for PJ (hence the cardboard boxes) - far from ideal. Nevertheless, I agree with PJ that the N5.2.1 system does give the ADM9.1 system a run for it's money. You have to live with the systems for a while to appreciate the differences, but given the small size of the N5's it is incredible what they can do and they reward with a lovely delicate detailed presentation. I am amazed the N5.2.1 system has not been more lauded by the hi fi community in general. The system contains a DAC, pre-amp, three 100W power amps, 10" sub and two N5 satellite speakers for similar to what some would still spend on just a CD player.

By the way, before anyone asks, no I am not Ashley in disguise although he has become a good friend!

With both the N5.2.1 system and the ADM systems, as noted by PJ you have to tweak the Subs to get the balance right so it just underpins the music and suits room conditions, etc. This is easier with the N5.2.1 sub as it is remote controlled - with the ADM sub you have to fiddle with a knob at the back. However, as PJ will find, once you get it right it all gels really nicely.

By the way PJ, the "country and western stuff" was Lucinda Williams - just in case anyone thinks I am into Dolly Parton, so to speak.

Look forward to hearing more feedback from you PJ. I have your address from ebay and will try to send the instruction book, Sound On Sound review and the little plastic plugs that go in the optical sockets when I get a chance.

Phil

A

Anonymous

Thanks John,

......of the Moon?

Probably my all time favourite album, but does it still sound best on vinyl? One to discuss another day!

Cheers

Phil

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
Phil Bishop:
....I have your address from ebay and will try to send the instruction book, Sound On Sound review and the little plastic plugs that go in the optical sockets when I get a chance.

Phil

Thanks Phil. Much appreciated.

PJPro

Jan 21, 2008
Visit site
JohnDuncan:Hello Phil, and welcome to the Dark Side...LOL. Who's been frequenting other forums! Surely you're not thinking about handing back the Uniti?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The N5 2.1 system is by far the most compatible of the two AVI systems for what I would need.

It has a more compact sub unit and more compact 'main' speakers than the ADM9T + sub system. It has more inputs (including USB and analogue I think) and it is about £600 cheaper than ADM9Ts with sub.

To maximise the benefits of reduced 'box count' I would need to get around to buying one of the Panasonic BD/DVD/Freeview HD recorders to replace both the BDP-S370 & DMR-EX78 I use now.

This will also give me very acceptable quality Freeview radio (way better than DAB anyway) although my wonderful sounding Naim FM tuner would have to be sacrificed (along with the rest of the Naim system) in order to fund the Panasonic box, a new 32" telly and the N5 2.1 system.

Although I have my present system on (and in) a very tidy and elegant light oak unit, it would be nice to get some more room. Just a shame that messrs AVI can't do a custom veneered job on the N5 2.1 system for me. (Real light oak or maple please. I'll pay the extra.) 'Piano gloss' black looks so like gloss black plastic especially when sitting near a gloss black plastic television. (Plastic 'by association' to the unititiated.)

I could look into getting two more light oak or beech bookshelf cabinets and pop the Neutrons in them like so. (But with their grilles on of course.)

I suppose the sub unit could be housed under something else made of light coloured wood that the telly will stand on... hmmm.

Got photos PJPro? I need to ensvisage the size of the sub/DAC/amp unit.

A

Anonymous

PJ,

I have e-mailed the Sound On Sound review to you - rest to follow in due course.

EDITED BY MODS

The gloss black is pretty classy I think but obviously some prefer the traditional finishes, I understand that.

Cheers

Phil

A

Anonymous

So, PJPro, are you happy? Good sound and arrangement for your application?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts