AVI ADM9s: breakthrough or too much hype?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

omnibeard said:
Stay on target, stay on target!

SimonDB said:
I thought I'd try to launch a more definitive discussion.

the sound was not for me - they just seemed to lack something, I might call it warmth or colour. I realise that for many, that's exactly what they are trying to eliminate, but for me that meant a lack of feeling or involvement. Or something.

Thanks for this throughtful reply. This is a very common theme. I like warmth and colour in my music -- big time -- but not if it's "fake".

SB

northernsoul

May 7, 2010
Visit site
SimonDB said:
omnibeard said:

SimonDB said:

the sound was not for me - they just seemed to lack something, I might call it warmth or colour. I realise that for many, that's exactly what they are trying to eliminate, but for me that meant a lack of feeling or involvement. Or something.

Thanks for this throughtful reply. This is a very common theme. I like warmth and colour in my music -- big time -- but not if it's "fake".

SB

To be honest rather than the subjective debate that will ensue I would advise trying to listen to the ADM's before you make your decision. If you look on the AVI forum you will find a plethora of owners willing to give a demo in there own home or failing that find a dealer who stocks them and go for a listen.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
SimonDB said:

SB

Well, the ADM9 are undoubtedly a fine speaker/solution, and I'm sure the newer models, with the optional ScanSpeak tweeters (no tinkering, right!?!?) are even better than the ones I have heard. And admittedly I didn't hear them with the sub.

I just think that once you get the latest model, and add in the sub, that you are getting into an area of some pretty serious second hand kit (maybe even new/ex-demo).

Also not sure that trawling the AVI forum where most are owners and/or accolytes is the best way to get an objective view.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
northernsoul said:
To be honest rather than the subjective debate that will ensue I would advise trying to listen to the ADM's before you make your decision. If you look on the AVI forum you will find a plethora of owners willing to give a demo in there own home or failing that find a dealer who stocks them and go for a listen.

Agreed, absolutely.

A

Anonymous

SimonDB said:
omnibeard said:

SimonDB said:

SB
I think you should demo some (Bartletts of Holloway Rd stock them if you're in London) and form your own opinion.

As for warmth? I own ADM9Ts (not red spots) and find them as warm as the recording. Since I bought them I've stopped analysing the music, I just enjoy it.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
richardw42 said:
hoopsontoast said:
If it was me, I would go down the seperates route, I think you will get better VFM IMO and IME.

Sorry but I really doubt that. But to be fair there is no tinkering once you buy the AVIs.

Clinical they are not, and I think it's a lazy way of describing them.

They are just so honest. You'll be thinking more of the music and you won't question the equipment. They are a huge bargain.

Do some lurking on the AVI Forum to get some ideas of other users thoughts.

Did you miss the IMO and IME?

Its my opinion, based on hearing the origninal model and what I have heard.

Oh and the 'honest' description really annoys me, same with people describing ATC speakers, which I like BTW.

"Flat and Honest, Low Distortion etc etc" its all about nothing.

The AVI and ATC speakers are no less coloured than most speakers.

No doubt, if you want an all in one, they are great VFM, for a hifi, no IMO and IME.

DGrohl said:
hoopsontoast said:
Only heard the original model, and they sounded fine, nothing bad but nothing special.

I would demo both the Rega system and the AVI's and make a decision on that.

If it was me, I would go down the seperates route, I think you will get better VFM IMO and IME.
Really? I think you'd struggle to find a stereo integrated amplifier with comparable power to the ADMs - for the price of a pair of ADMs, then you'd need a DAC and of course, speakers of comparable quality.

For the price (£1250) I would personally go and demo something like ATC SCM7 and Onkyo A907, maybe helped with some ex-demo SCM7's.

But the point is there is a lot more choice, and you could go S/H which means it would be even easier to get a great VFM alternative. Something like some Quad 57's, a 303 and a suitable DAC would probably wee all over both sytems to be honest.

Craig M. said:
hoopsontoast said:
Craig M. said:
My opinion will be of limited use because I've only heard the 9.1T model. Having said that I rate the 9.1T as the biggest bargain in hifi, I would expect them to trounce the Rega setup. Fwiw, the 9.1Ts easily kept pace with the £7k system I had at the time. Add the sub at a later date, and you'd have a system that imo would hold its own with more or less anything.

What was the "£7k system" if you dont mind me asking?

QBD76 ATC SIA 2-150 ATC SCM 19. Being very honest, the ADMs were better.

That would be an interesting demo, I would expect to hear a big difference in bass depth and control.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
DGrohl said:
I think you should demo some (Bartletts of Holloway Rd stock them if you're in London) and form your own opinion.

As for warmth? I own ADM9Ts (not red spots) and find them as warm as the recording. Since I bought them I've stopped analysing the music, I just enjoy it.

Agreed, absolutely. The only sensible advice is of course to go listen.

I did, and I really wanted to love them, but for some reason they were just not for me.

A

Anonymous

hoopsontoast said:
richardw42 said:
hoopsontoast said:

Sorry but I really doubt that. But to be fair there is no tinkering once you buy the AVIs.

Clinical they are not, and I think it's a lazy way of describing them.

They are just so honest. You'll be thinking more of the music and you won't question the equipment. They are a huge bargain.

Do some lurking on the AVI Forum to get some ideas of other users thoughts.

Did you miss the IMO and IME?

Its my opinion, based on hearing the origninal model and what I have heard.

Oh and the 'honest' description really annoys me, same with people describing ATC speakers, which I like BTW.

"Flat and Honest, Low Distortion etc etc" its all about nothing.

The AVI and ATC speakers are no less coloured than most speakers.

No doubt, if you want an all in one, they are great VFM, for a hifi, no IMO and IME.

DGrohl said:
hoopsontoast said:
Only heard the original model, and they sounded fine, nothing bad but nothing special.

I would demo both the Rega system and the AVI's and make a decision on that.

Really? I think you'd struggle to find a stereo integrated amplifier with comparable power to the ADMs - for the price of a pair of ADMs, then you'd need a DAC and of course, speakers of comparable quality.

For the price (£1250) I would personally go and demo something like ATC SCM7 and Onkyo A907, maybe helped with some ex-demo SCM7's.

But the point is there is a lot more choice, and you could go S/H which means it would be even easier to get a great VFM alternative. Something like some Quad 57's, a 303 and a suitable DAC would probably wee all over both sytems to be honest.

Craig M. said:
hoopsontoast said:
Craig M. said:
My opinion will be of limited use because I've only heard the 9.1T model. Having said that I rate the 9.1T as the biggest bargain in hifi, I would expect them to trounce the Rega setup. Fwiw, the 9.1Ts easily kept pace with the £7k system I had at the time. Add the sub at a later date, and you'd have a system that imo would hold its own with more or less anything.

What was the "£7k system" if you dont mind me asking?

QBD76 ATC SIA 2-150 ATC SCM 19. Being very honest, the ADMs were better.

That would be an interesting demo, I would expect to hear a big difference in bass depth and control.
I think you're wrong there. The reason that active monitors are used in recording studios is that they tend to give a less coloured sound, which is not to say that active speakers are better, but they'll generally be less coloured than passive speakers.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
DGrohl said:

I haven't struggled at all to do just that.

And can we all cut the quotes down a bit please? Makes it all a bit untidy, difficult to read and work out which bits are relevant, don't you think?

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
I think the reason studios use 'active' monitors is convinience, cost and size :?

Colouration comes from driver resonances and cabinets. Neither of which are addressed in active speakers without DSP or similar equalisation.

Most colouration comes from cheap cabinets. Its the reason why Open baffle speakers sound so different to conventional enclosed speakers (for better or worse)

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
hoopsontoast said:

There was very little difference in depth, the ADMs had more control - as you'd expect from decent actives.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Simon, maybe consider contacting AVI directly to see if there is anywhere that you can go to hear them that suits. Alternatively, let us know roughly where you are and someone nearby may offer to give you a demo...I don't see what else this thread can achieve for you, to be honest.

EDIT - their list of dealers on the website has been known to be wildly out of date, so direct contact with them via email or the forum is best.

A

Anonymous

Alec said:
I don't see what else this thread can achieve for you, to be honest.

EDIT - their list of dealers on the website has been known to be wildly out of date, so direct contact with them via email or the forum is best.

Thanks, Alex. I am in Brixton (London) and would love to hear a pair nearby. I also intend to go to Bartlett's. But I enjoy reading people's subjective descriptions of listening to the speakers because music is always, precisely, a subjective experience.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Yes, but it's your subjective experience that matters.

And thats Alec with a C ;)

Sorry, I'm nowhere near you, but get to Bartletts and let us know what you find.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
to the OP:

in my 'my system' thread you can find my comparison of the 9Ts with a couple of other actives and a passive that I did at Bartletts shop. I can highly recommend them but more than that I can recommend trying for yourself. If you like neutral, accurate sound I guarantee you will like them.

you can gent them second hand for abt 700 or get the new 9RS (red spot) version (which I have not heard).

with their accurate sound and unrivalled functionality (and the resulting system compactness) they are an option very difficult to beat.

daveh75

SimonDB said:
Alec said:
I don't see what else this thread can achieve for you, to be honest.

I am in Brixton (London) and would love to hear a pair nearby.
Billy Vee in Lewishsam stock AVI (or at least they used to, worth checking they still do)

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Bartlett’s isn’t too bad for you to get to, other side but straight up on the Victoria line and you’ll be back for last orders at the Dog Star. :cheers:

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
SIMONDB,

I have recommended the AVIs to you before. The biggest thing for me, if you discount their neutrality, power and VFM, is since buying a pair I have stopped listening to the system and now listen to the MUSIC. Before AVI ADM 9Ts I spent more time listening to/adjusting/changing the system, it had almost nothing to do with the music which is what it should be about.

I purchased mine from Bartletts and found them to be excellent fellows. A few minutes on the Tube will get you a demo and you can stop wondering. The detail, power and soundstage should amaze you. I have never listened to so much music and I NEVER worry about the system any more.

:cheers:

moon

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Craig M. said:
hoopsontoast said:

There was very little difference in depth, the ADMs had more control - as you'd expect from decent actives.

Hi, can you explain what you mean by control please?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
moon said:
Craig M. said:
hoopsontoast said:

Hi, can you explain what you mean by control please?

It means the bass is under control, it doesn't get flappy or farty.

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
relocated said:
Before AVI ADM 9Ts I spent more time listening to/adjusting/changing the system, it had almost nothing to do with the music which is what it should be about.

Not sure what this is all about (this isn't aimed at anyone in particular, but seems to be a theme) - maybe it applies to some of the people on here, but I never, ever, ever sit around analysing music/reproduction/sound quality etc, I just listen to music.

I love listening to music on any of my set ups - sure, the more expensive stereos I own sound better, but it's marginal, especially after a few ciders, which is when I tend to only listen to music (as oppose to just having music on constantly in the background). As I have pointed out on previous threads, my Onkyo TX-8050 or Pioneer A400 with Mission 751 doesn't cope that well with extreme metal, but after a bit of experimentation I've found that's more to do with recordings than anything else. The bass I get from that set up with electronica is deep, tight and wonderful.

I'm sure this is not what they mean, but it's definitely not the preserve of AVI owners to have forgotten about the equipment and just listen to the music.

I'm not going to upgrade cables or interconnects or power supplies, and everything sounds fabulous no matter what room in the house I'm in.

Having said that, I'm a bit of a heathen and maybe I value volume and gut punching bass more than I should. I'm lucky enough to live somewhere I can indulge in both of those without worrying about neighbours.

matthewpiano

Nobody would frequent these (or any other) hi-fi forums unless they had some kind of interest in the equipment, whether they own conventional hi-fi seperates or something different like the AVI actives. I also doubt there are many people here who weren't drawn to hi-fi because of their love of listening to music and wanting the best possible sound at home. We all go through phases where the hi-fi gets in the way of the music, whether we are considering a new amplifier or whether we are salivating at AVI's latest improvements to the ADM9.1s, but I'm sure (from the comments I read) that those with a system they are generally happy with spend plenty of time enjoying the music whichever approach they've taken.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts