AVI ADM9s: breakthrough or too much hype?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I realise there's been quite a lot of discussion on these active speakers here and there on these forums, but I thought I'd try to launch a more definitive discussion. A member here very kindly mentioned these speakers to me as an option when I mentioned my desire for a high-end system mainly for streaming music via a MAC or iPhone. The ADM9s seem to fit the bill because of the (in fact, rather obvious) innovation of fitting everything needed for streaming (amp, DAC and speakers) in one box. Previously, I had been thinking of getting all Rega components, but the ADM9s (not the catchiest name) would seem to do the same, while taking up less space at slightly less cost. Question is: would they sound as good?

I know the manufacturers of these speakers are very vocal in pointing to their virtues but I'd love to hear -- in one place -- music-lovers' experiences, especially of the latest models. I ask this partly because of the difficulty of demo-ing a pair.

SB

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I'm not quite sure what you're expecting to hear that you won't have already heard in all the other threads you mention, people who own them, love them and generally think they're better than anything else, people who haven't heard them don't really have an opinion worth listening to.

And aren't we all music lovers, surely that's why we spend stupid sums of money on this gear? Seems an odd distinction to make, how does one prove one is a music lover or not?

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
My opinion will be of limited use because I've only heard the 9.1T model. Having said that I rate the 9.1T as the biggest bargain in hifi, I would expect them to trounce the Rega setup. Fwiw, the 9.1Ts easily kept pace with the £7k system I had at the time. Add the sub at a later date, and you'd have a system that imo would hold its own with more or less anything.

A

Anonymous

Hm, well, the problem is the actual testimonials are very strung out on the other forums, interlaced with observations on the weather etc, so I think worth trying to provide something more concentrated. Also, some owners (or former owners) don't seem to love them. There is this issue of the "clinical" or "flat" sound, for example.

Paul.

The_Lhc said:
how does one prove one is a music lover or not?

I think the traditional way is to have a more esoteric taste than everyone else. You need to rub everyones faces in the fact that you are listening to some new post-goth-folk-core that isn't as good as the album they made before they were cool... Well, thats the Hipster route anyway.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Only heard the original model, and they sounded fine, nothing bad but nothing special.

I would demo both the Rega system and the AVI's and make a decision on that.

If it was me, I would go down the seperates route, I think you will get better VFM IMO and IME.

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
Craig M. said:
My opinion will be of limited use because I've only heard the 9.1T model. Having said that I rate the 9.1T as the biggest bargain in hifi, I would expect them to trounce the Rega setup. Fwiw, the 9.1Ts easily kept pace with the £7k system I had at the time. Add the sub at a later date, and you'd have a system that imo would hold its own with more or less anything.

What was the "£7k system" if you dont mind me asking?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Paul Hobbs said:
The_Lhc said:
I think the traditional way is to have a more esoteric taste than everyone else. You need to rub everyones faces in the fact that you are listening to some new post-goth-folk-core that isn't as good as the album they made before they were cool...

Oh right, so my Sunday purchases of Les Paul, Peter Sellers (on 10" LP), a Goon Show original Mono pressing and, err, Jean Michel Jarre's Magnetic Fields isn't going to cut it then?

Paul.

The_Lhc said:
Paul Hobbs said:
The_Lhc said:
I think the traditional way is to have a more esoteric taste than everyone else. You need to rub everyones faces in the fact that you are listening to some new post-goth-folk-core that isn't as good as the album they made before they were cool...

Oh right, so my Sunday purchases of Les Paul, Peter Sellers (on 10" LP), a Goon Show original Mono pressing and, err, Jean Michel Jarre's Magnetic Fields isn't going to cut it then?

See, now I am supposed to pretend that I have heared those things and now the game continues...

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
SimonDB said:
Hm, well, the problem is the actual testimonials are very strung out on the other forums, interlaced with observations on the weather etc, so I think worth trying to provide something more concentrated. Also, some owners (or former owners) don't seem to love them. There is this issue of the "clinical" or "flat" sound, for example.

I think it's worth noting how many people have forgotten all about their 'next upgrade' once they've bought some. My own personal opinion of the people who've failed to settle with them (and they seem to be a very small minority), is that they've found the sound to be too much of a change from what they are used to, and I can understand that, some systems are very 'coloured' and the ADMs aren't. It can be a shock to hear music without the sound of the system laid over the top of it. If you post on the Avi forum, you may find an owner who lives near you who'd be happy to let you hear them.

Paul.

I guess it depends if you want your system to be a hobby or not. If you just want great music to come from as few boxes as possible, then looks like AVIs *. If you want to tinker and improve the system over time, the AVIs are probably a bit boring.

* Making assumptions based on the many glowing personal reviews on this forum, not heard them.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
hoopsontoast said:
Craig M. said:

What was the "£7k system" if you dont mind me asking?

QBD76 ATC SIA 2-150 ATC SCM 19. Being very honest, the ADMs were better.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Paul Hobbs said:
The_Lhc said:
Paul Hobbs said:
The_Lhc said:

See, now I am supposed to pretend that I have heared those things and now the game continues...

Ah and now I point and laugh knowingly at your spelling mistake and use it as a reason to believe I'm more intelligent than you are, rather than simply being a typo due to the "e", "r" and "d" being so close together?

I haven't heard Magnetic Fields either but I'd picked up Oxygene and Equinox the other week so I figured for 2 quid I might as well complete the set...

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
SimonDB said:
Hm, well, the problem is the actual testimonials are very strung out on the other forums, interlaced with observations on the weather etc, so I think worth trying to provide something more concentrated.

It's quite nice here in Bristol by the way, sun shining, light winds, lovely in fact, thanks for asking!

A

Anonymous

hoopsontoast said:
Only heard the original model, and they sounded fine, nothing bad but nothing special.

I would demo both the Rega system and the AVI's and make a decision on that.

If it was me, I would go down the seperates route, I think you will get better VFM IMO and IME.
Really? I think you'd struggle to find a stereo integrated amplifier with comparable power to the ADMs - for the price of a pair of ADMs, then you'd need a DAC and of course, speakers of comparable quality.

Paul.

The_Lhc said:
Ah and now I point and laugh knowingly at your spelling mistake and use it as a reason to believe I'm more intelligent than you are, rather than simply being a typo due to the "e", "r" and "d" being so close together?

No no, you are confusing internet rules with hipster rules. You could criticise the forums font choice if you like, but realistically you would prattle on about how everything was better before said band got its second fan.

A

Anonymous

I think the traditional way is to have a more esoteric taste than everyone else. You need to rub everyones faces in the fact that you are listening to some new post-goth-folk-core that isn't as good as the album they made before they were cool... Well, thats the Hipster route anyway.

It's a bit like Macs. I've been using them for about 20 years, since when only about 3%, I believe, of computer users used them. Then you felt a little as if you were part of a savvy, stylish in-group, rejecting the coporate main. Now every grommet has one they're far less appealing.

Paul.

SimonDB said:
It's a bit like Macs. I've been using them for about 20 years, since when only about 3%, I believe, of computer users used them. Then you felt a little as if you were part of a savvy, stylish in-group, rejecting the coporate main. Now every grommet has one they're far less appealing.

tumblr_lkoz0lxznJ1qa7wgdo1_500_thumb.jpg

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Paul Hobbs said:
The_Lhc said:

No no, you are confusing internet rules with hipster rules. You could criticise the forums font choice if you like, but realistically you would prattle on about how everything was better before said band got its second fan.

Oh right,

SimonDB said:

Like this you mean?

omnibeard

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Stay on target, stay on target!

SimonDB said:
I thought I'd try to launch a more definitive discussion.

Good luck with that!

FWIW, I have heard the ADM9 - think it was the version just before the new Red Dots (Spots?). I don't think anyone who has heard them would in all seriousness tell you that they are not fantastic speakers, and more besides, and amazing value for money.

However, the sound was not for me - they just seemed to lack something, I might call it warmth or colour. I realise that for many, that's exactly what they are trying to eliminate, but for me that meant a lack of feeling or involvement. Or something. Very subjective.

Further, I think you can do better for the money if you go second hand - and I feel that I have.

If you want to buy new, and you want a simple solution with low (no?) box count then you wouldn't go far wrong.

Don't be fooled into thinking that they are an end to upgraditis though - the new models that come out have existing owners slavering. And anyhows, I quite like a bit of tinkering and dabbling on the second hand market.

Assertions that they would trounce the all-Rega system might be somewhat wide of the mark too. A friend has an all-Rega set up and it provides exactly the sort of sound I, and others, prefer over the ADMs.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
hoopsontoast said:

Sorry but I really doubt that. But to be fair there is no tinkering once you buy the AVIs.

Clinical they are not, and I think it's a lazy way of describing them.

They are just so honest. You'll be thinking more of the music and you won't question the equipment. They are a huge bargain.

Do some lurking on the AVI Forum to get some ideas of other users thoughts.

A

Anonymous

Do some lurking on the AVI Forum to get some ideas of other users thoughts.

Do you mean the AVI forum on What Hi Fi? Or on the AVI site? I keep being referred to this mysterious place. As for the no-tinkering, there is a certain appeal to tinkering with expensive, well made things. Which leads me to ask: is everyone on this forum male?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts