AVI ADM9s: breakthrough or too much hype?

Page 12 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Oh seems am a little late for this thread. But have to say being in the music production line for very lone time now. Heard loads & loads of actives in many recording studio that far out perfom the AVI's so i dn't see the big deal about them.

People may not like it, but actives will beat amp & speaker combo 5time the price. I have come to see that humans never really try things out for themself. Even when their ears tell them it does not sound right they rather go with what others say than what they hear.

people in the music production world will tell you anyday that most HIFI equpiment do not jutify their price tags. Just money making machines. you are warned!! You will be spending tons & tons of money on seperate hifi to really get good sound.

Am not just saying this for sake of it... The reason being the recording studio has the very best acoustic treatment & will tell the true performance of any music equipment.

Overdose

Feb 8, 2008
Visit site
Native_bon said:
Oh seems am a little late for this thread. But have to say being in the music production line for very lone time now. Heard loads & loads of actives in many recording studio that far out perfom the AVI's so i dn't see the big deal about them.

People may not like it, but actives will beat amp & speaker combo 5time the price. I have come to see that humans never really try things out for themself. Even when their ears tell them it does not sound right they rather go with what others say than what they hear.

Whilst I don't doubt there are many monitors that outperform the ADMs, you need also consider value for money and actual cost. The ADMs have preamp and DAC included, which most studio monitors do not have.

Which of the ADM9 models did you hear by the way?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Native_bon said:

people in the music production world will tell you anyday that most HIFI equpiment do not jutify their price tags. Just money making machines. you are warned!! You will be spending tons & tons of money on seperate hifi to really get good sound.

When I buy a system, I am only interested in "better for me", which is the only thing that matters.

IMO. Active speakers* used in the mixing process have a very different job to do, which is to be as analytical as possible...this is not necessarily what people (like me) look for (which is enjoyment).

So as far as the hifi buying public is concerned, "better" as you define it, "may" be irrelevant. What ever approach is taken, enjoyment has to lie at the heart of it, or the system will remain switched off.

*Nb. This does not mean all Active speakers are cold and analytical.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Native_bon said:

When I buy a system, I am only interested in "better for me", which is the only thing that matters.

IMO. Active speakers* used in the mixing process have a very different job to do, which is to be as analytical as possible...this is not necessarily what people (like me) look for (which is enjoyment).

So as far as the hifi buying public is concerned, "better" as you define it, "may" be irrelevant. What ever approach is taken, enjoyment has to lie at the heart of it, or the system will remain switched off.

CnoEvil, am sure you properly know what ur going for, & that's all good. Even when I walk into a Hifi shop some of the sales people not even got a clue what hifi is all about... Yes some people dn't like studio monitor sound, But even so for me to better the sound of my studio monitors I had to buy my sonus faber's cremona's which are about 10times the price of my monitors. I love my sonus fabers cause even at that price i think they are just wonderful speakers.

Having said that I like the way sonus faber speakers present music hence i use them for music. Yes understand ur piont but cost a lot to better the sound of my monitors.

For example the Genelec range active monitors are acurrate, smooth & full sounding speakers, but not as open sounding as my sonus fabers. The GEnelec range will out perfrom so many hifi systems in the market today.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Native_bon said:
CnoEvil, am sure you properly know what ur going for, & that's all good. Even when I walk into a Hifi shop some of the sales people not even got a clue what hifi is all about... Yes some people dn't like studio monitor sound, But even so for me to better the sound of my studio monitors I had to buy my sonus faber's cremona's which are about 10times the price of my monitors. I love my sonus fabers cause even at that price i think they are just wonderful speakers.

Having said that I like the way sonus faber speakers present music hence i use them for music. Yes understand ur piont but cost a lot to better the sound of my monitors.

For example the Genelec range active monitors are acurrate, smooth & full sounding speakers, but not as open sounding as my sonus fabers. The GEnelec range will out perfrom so many hifi systems in the market today.

It's horses for courses, my friend. :rockout:

Native_bon said:
CnoEvil said:
Native_bon said:

A couple of points: Studio monitors, hi-fi speakers... surely a good speaker will do the job regardless of the whether it originated in a studio or not.

How do you define accuracy? Surely if you want a studio monitor, you'd move into erm... a studio flat? To me a speaker is either good or bad. Nothing more, nothing less.

I personally don't care if a active monitor is far better than a price compatible passive system. Hi-fi is about cultivating your own sound that suits your room acoustics, taste and embraces all your formats. I wouldn't sacrifice my vinyl collection for anything, likewise my cd collection, FM tuner, dvds or TV.

Sound quality is fairly irrelevant when a traditional system fits your music and family needs.

T

the record spot

You got that right about the Genelecs. Haven't heard a bad one yet.

Phileas

May 5, 2012
Visit site
Overdose said:
Native_bon said:
Heard loads & loads of actives in many recording studio that far out perfom the AVI's so i dn't see the big deal about them.

Yes, when and where did you do this comparison? I'd be interested to know which particular studio actives far outperform the ADM9.

Are you a recording engineer by trade?

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
Phileas said:
Overdose said:
Native_bon said:
Heard loads & loads of actives in many recording studio that far out perfom the AVI's so i dn't see the big deal about them.

Yes, when and where did you do this comparison? I'd be interested to know which particular studio actives far outperform the ADM9.

Well am a music producer. yes. Am not saying the ADM9's are not good, but there are better active monitors in the recording studio industry. For example, the Genelec, krk Rokit & yamaha SH80M monitors. some of them may not look the part, but sound wise i think they do much better.

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
Native_bon said:
Phileas said:
Overdose said:
Native_bon said:

some of them may not look the part, but sound wise i think they do much better.

That is the bit that most people can't come to terms with when putting studio monitors into a domestic situation , their looks . The fact that they may sound better counts for nothing to many people if they look awful .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts