Question AV receiver that sounds good with turntables

ProgDr

Jan 25, 2021
Visit site
My question is, can i get an AV receiver thats good with analogue sources, goes fairly loud and streams Amazon music HD in a single box?

I have been set the task to simplify the set up in my lounge by my wife and kids. I have a Yamaha Aventage RX-A1070 receiver thats used for vision but the performance is dire on any music medium be it vinyl, streaming or CD.
The kids listen to Amazon Music HD over airplay from their phones which to me sounds dreadful but that could just be their choice of music.
I run a Thorens TD309 with Goldring G1500 and external PSU into a Thorens MM008 phono preamplifier as my main source of listening.

I have had to recommision my old Quad 99 Pre and 2x 99 powers to drive my B&W603 fronts while leaving the Yamaha to drive the HTM6 centre, PV1D subwoofer and 607 rears.
This makes the turntable sounds sweet but it necessitates a few too many button presses, there has been a few awkward moments when the source has been changed and music ends up blaring at full volume late at night and its all consuming a bit too much space for the wife.
My room is of reasonable size at 7 x 6m and has a 3.2m ceiling.

I have been looking at the £2500 NAD T778 but a local friendly dealer has said it wont get anywhere near the Quads and I will just end up in the same place again.

Can anyone advise?

Last edited:

ProgDr

Jan 25, 2021
Visit site
My question is, can i get an AV receiver thats good with analogue sources, goes fairly loud and streams Amazon music HD in a single box?

I have been set the task to simplify the set up in my lounge by my wife and kids. I have a Yamaha Aventage RX-A1070 receiver thats used for vision but the performance is dire on any music medium be it vinyl, streaming or CD.
The kids listen to Amazon Music HD over airplay from their phones which to me sounds dreadful but that could just be their choice of music.
I run a Thorens TD309 with Goldring G1500 and external PSU into a Thorens MM008 phono preamplifier as my main source of listening.

I have had to recommision my old Quad 99 Pre and 2x 99 powers to drive my B&W603 fronts while leaving the Yamaha to drive the HTM6 centre, PV1D subwoofer and 607 rears.
This makes the turntable sounds sweet but it necessitates a few too many button presses, there has been a few awkward moments when the source has been changed and music ends up blaring at full volume late at night and its all consuming a bit too much space for the wife.
My room is of reasonable size at 7 x 6m and has a 3.2m ceiling.

I have been looking at the £2500 NAD T778 but a local friendly dealer has said it wont get anywhere near the Quads and I will just end up in the same place again.

Can anyone advise?
The answer was No. Ended up with the NAD T778 which is brilliant with movies, exceptional with streaming services but distinctly average with the turntable.
The record collection has now been relocated to another room with my old Quad 99 pre, 2 x Quad Power and my Quad L series speakers. Probably the best choice in the end as it keeps the kids and the vinyl some distance apart.

scene

The answer was No. Ended up with the NAD T778 which is brilliant with movies, exceptional with streaming services but distinctly average with the turntable.
The record collection has now been relocated to another room with my old Quad 99 pre, 2 x Quad Power and my Quad L series speakers. Probably the best choice in the end as it keeps the kids and the vinyl some distance apart.
I actually think the answer is yes (sorry ProgDr) - but it's a qualified yes, to be sure. A lot of it depends on how much you want to spend, and your own ears. Which are the ultimate arbiters of sound.

I faced a similar choice several years back - wanted good two channel sound, including analogue from a TT (Admittedly - nothing as good as your Thorens) and was trying to keep the set up OH friendly... I ended up with a Maranatz AV, the SR7009 which does great surround and two channel music as well. If I were you, I'd try and arrange a listen of the newer Marantz - SR7015 or SR8015. They cover the AV side, two channel, music streaming, Airplay, etc. See what your ears think of them and decide from there.

Reactions: ProgDr

ProgDr

Jan 25, 2021
Visit site
I actually think the answer is yes (sorry ProgDr) - but it's a qualified yes, to be sure. A lot of it depends on how much you want to spend, and your own ears. Which are the ultimate arbiters of sound.

I faced a similar choice several years back - wanted good two channel sound, including analogue from a TT (Admittedly - nothing as good as your Thorens) and was trying to keep the set up OH friendly... I ended up with a Maranatz AV, the SR7009 which does great surround and two channel music as well. If I were you, I'd try and arrange a listen of the newer Marantz - SR7015 or SR8015. They cover the AV side, two channel, music streaming, Airplay, etc. See what your ears think of them and decide from there.
Thanks Scene. Interestingly i tried the SR7015 but there was something about the sound i didnt get along with. There was an edge to it that to my ears didnt gell with. I know many people love the Marantz sound but i have found the last 2 generations a little forward and brash. Denons turned to 11 was the expression I used as they often take the good bits of the similar Denon product and give it a more 'in your face' character.
I like my music like my cars, comfortable and relaxed for long journeys nowadays unlike when i was younger when the hot hatch filled with amps and a Peco big bore exhaust was my thing. Im obviously getting old lol.

Reactions: scene

scene

Thanks Scene. Interestingly i tried the SR7015 but there was something about the sound i didnt get along with. There was an edge to it that to my ears didnt gell with. I know many people love the Marantz sound but i have found the last 2 generations a little forward and brash. Denons turned to 11 was the expression I used as they often take the good bits of the similar Denon product and give it a more 'in your face' character.
I like my music like my cars, comfortable and relaxed for long journeys nowadays unlike when i was younger when the hot hatch filled with amps and a Peco big bore exhaust was my thing. Im obviously getting old lol.

I've never find mine that forward. But, then again, I've got MA speakers, which can be quite laid back, so maybe the two cancel each others weak points? Or maybe the older model is less forward. OR, maybe it's like I said - it's all a matter of personal taste :)

And I bet you were popular with the neighbours when you were younger... ;)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts