AV Receiver Recommendation - Connecting Ceiling Speakers

JRA

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
Hello,

I don’t know much about audio/AV systems, and though I’ve been reading about it, I have basic questions about the best way to connect speakers to my current and future AV receiver.

My current system is a carpeted basement with 8-foot drywalled ceilings. The basement has an open floor for a family room and a bar, but the main area where I will listen to music and watch TV is ~14x16 feet.

There, I have a Yamaha RX V573 7.1 Channel Network AV Receiver (bought in 2003) connected to 2 Jamo Concert 9 Series C 97 II floor speakers ((6 Ω)), a Jamo S 810 SUB, and also an AT-LP120XUSB turntable. Since the Yamaka AV receiver does not have a phono stage, I’m connecting the turntable to one of its RCA connections.

Then, I have four ceiling speakers: Dayton Audio CS620C 6-1/2" 2-Way Ceiling Speaker (8 Ω). I did not install them, so I’m not sure how the cabling was done, but four wires coming from the wall close to the AV makes me think that each one of them is running its own wire.

Right now, these ceiling speakers are connected to each of the four speaker outputs available in the Yamaha: “Surround R-L” and “Surround Back/BIAMP Zone B L-R.” However, I have the feeling that I am doing something wrong.

I want to upgrade my AV receiver to get a phono stage, stream Spotify, watch Netflix/HBO, etc. Still, I don’t know what to get because I’m not sure how I will connect the Jamo’s and ceiling speakers to the future unit safely and efficiently.

A related question for me is how to configure the impedance in the receiver when I have two sets of speakers with different impedance. In the Yamaha, you can set the unit to either 6 or 8 Ω, but I don’t know if other units can set different speakers to their own impedance...
I looked at this unit https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089XVTPBV/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza?th=1, but I just don’t know.

I’m not interested much in surround sound, but mainly in listening to music (turntable and Spotify) and the occasional movie.

My budget is $800-900.

I would appreciate it if someone could guide me in the right direction about a future AV receiver or alternatives to it.

Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

JRA

Yamaha is a good shout. I would also recommend you look at Denon and Marantz. They employ Audyssey for setup which is very user friendly. Just go though the steps and you will be able to identify which wire is for which speaker. Make sure you label the wires as such for future use.

JRA

Nov 12, 2021
Visit site
Yamaha is a good shout. I would also recommend you look at Denon and Marantz. They employ Audyssey for setup which is very user friendly. Just go though the steps and you will be able to identify which wire is for which speaker. Make sure you label the wires as such for future use.

Thank you very much. I will make sure to check out the names you mention.

Warm regards,
JRA

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts