AV Receiver and Speakers on a budget...recommendations please?

A

Anonymous

Around £300. I desperately don't want to go down the home cinema in a box route again. I've had two of these systems and one broke and the other has no optical inputs so is now redundant. Doesn't need to be loud but simply to compliment Panasonic TH42PZ70, Sky HD and Toshiba HD-DVD EP-30. Rooms not that big either (5m x 4m).

I've been looking at the Yamaha RXV363 AV
Receiver and the Yamaha NSP110 5.1 Speaker Package for £200.

John Duncan

I was desperately disappointed with my Yamaha NSP100 (I think), so would be more inclined to get a second hand amp (you can easily get a fabulous DSP-AX620 on ebay for fifty or sixty quid) and then add these. Fifty quid over budget, sorry, but miles better than the NSP package (IMO).

Edit - note of caution, last one on eBay sold for 70 so maybe too much..........

A

Anonymous

Originally looked at Onkyo TX-SR505 and Q Acoustics 1010 but still sets me back £450.

I can't find any reviews for the Yamaha AV Receiver mentioned above. Is it that bad?

John Duncan

The one you mentioned or the one I did? if the latter, was a product of the year four or so years back, and the one I have was marvellous when I had it set up (surprisingly good at music as well).

A

Anonymous

I'm aiming for the Sony DGR-820 paired up with the jamo A102HCS5 speakers, altogether you'd be able to get all this for around £450/500 which is cheap considering you'd be able to decode all hd audio formats.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
dmroberts:
Originally looked at Onkyo TX-SR505 and Q Acoustics 1010 but still sets me back £450.

I can't find any reviews for the Yamaha AV Receiver mentioned above. Is it that bad?

Look no further than my receiver at this price. It is brilliant and my only gripe is that it doesn't do what you are not bothered about it being able to do - HD audio, upconversion etc. So easy to use as well. You will be very happy. As for speakers. These Tannoys are decent. You obviously will only get so much from your budget but I've heard these speakers with a Denon 1508 (not as good as the Sony) and they sound very good. The Jamos are a bit dearer but I used to own them and can vouch for the sound you will get.

http://www.soundandvisiononline.com/moreinfo/index.asp?product_id=12172
http://www.richersounds.com/showproduct.php?cda=showproduct&pid=TANN-FX5.1-SIL
http://www.superfi.co.uk/index.cfm/page/moreinfo.cfm/Product_ID/2912

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
darbo:I'm aiming for the Sony DGR-820 paired up with the jamo A102HCS5 speakers, altogether you'd be able to get all this for around £450/500 which is cheap considering you'd be able to decode all hd audio formats.

I don't think he should go for that receiver just yet - he has Sky HD and would not be able to get 5.1 because of the problems with that machine.

A

Anonymous

Just found a bargain Onkyo TX-SR505 £119 @ Richer Sounds. Now looking seriously at the Jamo A102HCS5 and Q Acoustics 1010 speakers to match. Thanks for all the advice. Seems that the Yamaha is underpowered next to the other receivers being discussed here so have put it out of my mind. Thanks again all.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
dmroberts:Just found a bargain Onkyo TX-SR505 £119 @ Richer Sounds. Now looking seriously at the Jamo A102HCS5 and Q Acoustics 1010 speakers to match. Thanks for all the advice. Seems that the Yamaha is underpowered next to the other receivers being discussed here so have put it out of my mind. Thanks again all.

Seriously mate, for an extra £80, you would be mad to not get the Sony 1200 or even the Cambridge Audio 340R instead of the bottom of the ladder from Onkyo.

gpi

Mar 29, 2008
Visit site
My one-box surround system has just left this mortal coil (it is an ex... etc) so I need to start thinking about what to replace it with. The old Samsung TV is playing up as well so that corner of the living room will all need replacing.
4.gif

A

Anonymous

I'm now intrigued...Gerrardasnails what are the benefits of the Sony 1200 over the Onkyo 505? I'm a beginner at all this and so would appreciate your opinions greatly. I read that the 1200 has analogue inputs for compatibility with Blu-Ray players with onboard decoding. Does the Onkyo not have this? What are the major differences between these two. I thought Onkyo had taken the mantle from the 1200 which was the previous king?

A

Anonymous

We have just been talking about the 1200ES, here so read this first, post back if there's anything else! I agree with Gerrardasnails though.

A

Anonymous

I agree with what you and Gerardasnails are saying now...does it come in black? Can't seem to find it at superfi for £199 in black anyway? It won't be a deal breaker but everything else is black so far (Panasonic TH42PZ70, Toshiba EP-30 and Sky HD).

One final question. Is the 1200 compatible with the PS3 for HD Audio or not? Thanks for all your help. Without it I would have bought the wrong gear for sure!

A

Anonymous

It's just generally a much better rounded receiver with a higher pedigree, I noticed in your previous post about Onkyo now having the crown. In a general sense this might be true, but it doesn't mean the Sony's are in any way bad at all, and I think with their new range (once the problems have been ironed out) there is a strong chance they'll pinch it back from Onkyo.

The 1200ES does come in black, however it's down to what stock the shops have left, you'll have to get in touch with them.

No unfortunately you won't be able to have HD sound from the PS3 with either of these receivers, as it doesn't have a multichannel analogue output.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
dmroberts:
I agree with what you and Gerardasnails are saying now...does it come in black? Can't seem to find it at superfi for £199 in black anyway? It won't be a deal breaker but everything else is black so far (Panasonic TH42PZ70, Toshiba EP-30 and Sky HD).

One final question. Is the 1200 compatible with the PS3 for HD Audio or not? Thanks for all your help. Without it I would have bought the wrong gear for sure!

The Superfi deal is for silver only. At the end of the day, at this price range, compromise is inevitable. The 1200es is a brilliant receiver and for such a good price, it has to be looked at. The Onkyo at £119 was mentioned and I was just responding with, do not buy that machine when you can get the 1200 for only £80 more. If you are hell bent on HD audio without any glitches (the new Sony 820 does), the Onkyo SR605 must be on your list. I've seen them for £270. It all depends on what your requirements are. I need pre outs for my stereo amp so the Onkyo 605, 606 and Denon 1909 are all out of the equation for me. HD audio with a PS3, the Sony 1200 can't deliver. However, the new Sony BD player (£230) is supposed to be better than the PS3 and will give you HD audio with the 1200. If you are not a gamer, you could sell your PS3 for the same price as the new Sony BD player and still go for the 1200. So many options!!

A

Anonymous

Cheers for all your comments guys...will hunt around for a black 1200 if pos! Advice was all excellent and will be back for some advice about speakers next.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts