Av-hifi rack

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
For brighter sound get a glass rack.

Glass racks are very good for duran duran, wham and roxy music

I use heavy metal rack for Ace of Spades.
Now you talking Those little 305s are gonna **** themselves next week hopefully

Ill post pictures and you guys can even see the rack i built myself years ago.

I should do one of those youtube unboxing videos where all tou see is the arms talking the stuff out the box haha
that's funny when you watch the Americans un-box stuff they seem to talk more about the box or package then what's inside the box .
My custom made metal rack is filled with sand so I can play Enter Sandman like a boss.

BTW that packagjng stuff comes handy for speaker height positioning and decoupling.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:

I should do one of those youtube unboxing videos where all tou see is the arms talking the stuff out the box haha
that's funny when you watch the Americans un-box stuff they seem to talk more about the box or package then what's inside the box .
My custom made metal rack is filled with sand so I can play Enter Sandman like a boss.

BTW that packagjng stuff comes handy for speaker height positioning and decoupling.
lol if i put my speakers on a box it would be flat as a pan cake .

i just about left my speakers they very heavy just right for heavy metal music *blum3*

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:

i just about left my speakers they very heavy just right for heavy metal music *blum3*

Try putting those on your desk. Mine fit great.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Vladimir said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Vladimir said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:
Andrewjvt said:
Vladimir said:

Try putting those on your desk. Mine fit great.
lol not sure i could lift them that high

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
seemorebtts said:
Andrewjvt said:
seemorebtts said:
Looks beautiful.does it sound any better

Possibly a wind up??
Maybe it wont sound any different until he applies a wood conditioner to the surface?
no joke.racks are very important for your hifi. Probably the best upgrades you can buy

You learn something every day. Im looking for an av cabinet with lots of bass output and also must not be over bright. Which rack do you recommend?
you won't get more bass just different sound.if you system is bright a rack can help.it mainly gets​ rid of distortion.i recommend the new Bamboo Atacama's.makes alot of difference so try.

insider9

Well worth the wait. It looks superb with a lovely finish, congrats! I like the whole setup and considering the size of the amp it must look even more impressive in real life.

I am surprised though you're using grilles. Is this a safety measure? I think it would look even more stunning with drivers exposed. They should match the finish rather well!

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
yes its safety !

i have a 6 year old coming 7 so i will have to wait until she is a bit older before taking them off but i am taking a risk with the amp that low as before i had it up high but she is good not to touch .

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Great setup and I like the fact that you could specify the dimensions for the rack. I fancy building my own one day - another thing to go on my long list of to-do's.

The photo's don't show your seating position, but I thought your speaakers look quite close together for their size.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
jonathanRD said:
Great setup and I like the fact that you could specify the dimensions for the rack. I fancy building my own one day - another thing to go on my long list of to-do's.

The photo's don't show your seating position, but I thought your speaakers look quite close together for their size.
it's the photos how they have came out as I took the photos with my iPhone

the speakers are about 2 and half meters apart and 25cm from back wall which Dali say min 20cm from back wall . I have no issues with bass boom Which is a good thing as they are very big speakers .

Dali have done a very fine job with theses speakers as they very well behaved for there size which you would expect some kind of boom from them but before buying the opticon 8s I had the opticon 6s which are the speakers below the 8s and to be honest I did not know how the opticon 8s would act in my room as they are big and to heavy to take home on a home demo but I kind knew from the opticon 6s what kind of sound and roughly know what I would get from the 8s just a bit more deeper on the bass as the 8s have bigger drivers .

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
jonathanRD said:

it's the photos how they have came out as I took the photos with my iPhone

the speakers are about 2 and half meters apart and 25cm from back wall which Dali say min 20cm from back wall . I have no issues with bass boom Which is a good thing as they are very big speakers .

Dali have done a very fine job with theses speakers as they very well behaved for there size which you would expect some kind of boom from them but before buying the opticon 8s I had the opticon 6s which are the speakers below the 8s and to be honest I did not know how the opticon 8s would act in my room as they are big and to heavy to take home on a home demo but I kind knew from the opticon 6s what kind of sound and roughly know what I would get from the 8s just a bit more deeper on the bass as the 8s have bigger drivers .

Ah right - clearly the photo playing tricks - my speakers are 2.3m apart so quite similar.

The other thing that struck me was the difference in appearance of your amp versus mine - my pre-amp has only got two dials, a red light and an on/off buttion *smile*

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
The rack looks to have been made to a high standard. Anything bespoke is expensive, and the cost earlier up in the thread (£530?) looks to be a fair price.

Cable management is always a challenge. Do the sections lift off like a wedding cake so you can attach and run the cables before putting the next layer on?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
andyjm said:
The rack looks to have been made to a high standard. Anything bespoke is expensive, and the cost earlier up in the thread (£530?) looks to be a fair price.

Cable management is always a challenge. Do the sections lift off like a wedding cake so you can attach and run the cables before putting the next layer on?
yes each of the sections comes off as each sections have spikes on each of the legs

Blacksabbath25 said:
andyjm said:

yes each of the sections comes off as each sections have spikes on each of the legs
It looks great, blackSabbath! Good choice.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Just to recap the bad news on this walnut hifi rack I got made a little while ago

basically it started to split were the nots are which has made one of the legs weak which I fixed then today I thought I would give the rack a coat of danish oil but while taking the sections apart one of the legs snapped off which again I've repaired but not happy with the rack now .

so today I looked on eBay and came across a new actcama evoque hifi rack that was a custom build with the dimensions I needed to fit my stuff on it's only 2 months old 3 shelfs in dark bamboo never been used as the chaps wife hate the color £425 buy it now

now that's a bargain considering this rack would cost me £1000 or more to buy so that's the good news apart from having to spend more money sorting the problem out .

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Just to recap the bad news on this walnut hifi rack I got made a little while ago 

basically it started to split were the nots are which has made one of the legs weak which I fixed then today I thought I would give the rack a coat of danish oil but while taking the sections apart one of the legs snapped off which again I've repaired but not happy with the rack now .

so today I looked on eBay and came across a new actcama evoque hifi rack that was a custom build with the dimensions I needed to fit my stuff on it's only 2 months old 3 shelfs in dark bamboo never been used as the chaps wife hate the color £425 buy it now  

now that's a bargain considering this rack would cost me £1000 or more to buy so that's the good news apart from having to spend more money sorting the problem out  .

Sorry to hear that.
Why dont you contact the ebay seller about it?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

now that's a bargain considering this rack would cost me £1000 or more to buy so that's the good news apart from having to spend more money sorting the problem out .

Sorry to hear that. Why dont you contact the ebay seller about it?
I brought the rack outside of eBay and brought it from his website but obviously walnut is not as strong as I thought

something I did not think about the wood settling in with the heating when we had it on in the winter months were the nots are in the wood it started to crack along from the wood nots and when I gave the rack a coat of Dutch oil today when I lifted of a section and took the weight that section the leg was half hanging which then had to re clue that leg and then put a screw to hold it . So yes I am disappointed that it never lasted long and should of not gone like that really .

i do not think I would get anywhere phoning the chap up as I never got any guarantee with the rack so not sure were I would stand and not worth the hassle I just have to look at it as a lesson learned .

anyway at least the rack I've just brought is stronger and it's a proper hifi rack that should last longer then the old one and I got it for half the price of what they do cost .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts