Av-hifi rack

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
seemorebtts said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
The trouble is if you compare it with the Atacama AV racks your looking at £900 what meets my needs 

and £450 not to bad for solid wood as he can do the rack in any wood I choose and the rack uses spikes for each section too .

i mean what's the benefits on buying a proper rack like the Atacama apart from using bamboo it still uses the same spikes .
sorry I'm a bit out of what's happening but sore this and had to replay. Atacama make excellent rack's.alot of research and development.they have the awards to back them up and I have the Atacama Eris Eco which is cheap and sounds amazing for the price.not saying that what you are looking at is bad but it might not be any good ie sound good.i could make you a table but it might sound pants.sick to something that has had some kind of review

Come on, are you really that gullible?

Home made with real wood will maybe be much stronger anyway than mass produced stuff.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
seemorebtts said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
The trouble is if you compare it with the Atacama AV racks your looking at £900 what meets my needs

and £450 not to bad for solid wood as he can do the rack in any wood I choose and the rack uses spikes for each section too .

i mean what's the benefits on buying a proper rack like the Atacama apart from using bamboo it still uses the same spikes .
sorry I'm a bit out of what's happening but sore this and had to replay. Atacama make excellent rack's.alot of research and development.they have the awards to back them up and I have the Atacama Eris Eco which is cheap and sounds amazing for the price.not saying that what you are looking at is bad but it might not be any good ie sound good.i could make you a table but it might sound pants.sick to something that has had some kind of review

Home made with real wood will maybe be much stronger anyway than mass produced stuff.
hi Andrew

if you see the link to the company that's making the rack its top quality

i got the email with the sizes if I go ahead with it's £445 in oak and in walnut it will cost £545 i thinking I might go for the walnut as it matches my speakers as they are in walnut

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Andrewjvt said:
seemorebtts said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

hi Andrew 

i got the email with the sizes if I go ahead with it's £445 in oak and in walnut it will cost £545 i thinking I might go for the walnut as it matches my speakers as they are in walnut 

They look great. Let us know how it looks in person. It will be solid and heavy. Last a long time

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Andrewjvt said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Andrewjvt said:
seemorebtts said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

hi Andrew

They look great. Let us know how it looks in person. It will be solid and heavy. Last a long time
he got to order in the walnut as he normally makes oak

but it's going to take 4-5 weeks to complete until I get my hands on it but I reckon it's a good choice

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm very dubious about the effect a rack can have on SQ, although it may possibly be influential regarding a turntable. I went for a 'HiFi Racks' unit purely for aesthetic reasons and the fact that I could have it tailored to my needs. Great quality too.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
jjbomber said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Yes he has already mentioned to me that I would need a slightly thicker shelf for the 2 Yamaha units .

Place the Yamahas on the floor below the bottom shelf. All your problems sorted. You just need a higher base shelf when he makes the rack to order.
yes he is having to make that shelf 25mm to support the Yamahas and putting in a supporting leg all the way though the rack to the floor

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
jjbomber said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Yes he has already mentioned to me that I would need a slightly thicker shelf for the 2 Yamaha units .

Place the Yamahas on the floor below the bottom shelf. All your problems sorted. You just need a higher base shelf when he makes the rack to order.
yes he is having to make that shelf 25mm to support the Yamahas and putting in a supporting leg all the way though the rack to the floor

25mm? It won't look right, imo.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Freddy58 said:
I'm very dubious about the effect a rack can have on SQ, although it may possibly be influential regarding a turntable. I went for a 'HiFi Racks' unit purely for aesthetic reasons and the fact that I could have it tailored to my needs. Great quality too.
that's how I see it too just buying it to fit a purpose really

to support the Yamaha properly as they are heavy units and their depth is a lot bigger then normal hifi boxes

i wanted more room in the house and also I wanted to move my speakers wider apart so there are plenty of plus to getting the rack

Freddy58 said:

Me to. Aesthetics and the fact they were one of the very few that could make leg lengths to any size I required to accommodate my valve power amp whereas the likes of Atacama only have limited fixed length options.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I think he was worried about the weight of both units the amplifier weight is 43kg and the cdplayer is about 27kg both on the same shelf side by side .

the rack is wide 1120mm on the front and 1000mm at the back of the rack

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Al ears said:
and the fact they were one of the very few that could make leg lengths to any size I required to accommodate my valve power amp whereas the likes of Atacama only have limited fixed length options.

Yes, this is what I was getting at when I said "tailored to my needs". At some point I intend to get an 'Innuos', so it should be relatively painless to make an addition of another shelf.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
Ok

apart from supporting your hifi why is it important to pick the right rack for a hifi what will the rack do to the sound ? Because I've not got a clue.

i understand the importance of a rack when you have a TT on top because of vibrations involved but I have no TT yet . I have a soled state amplifier which is not affected by vibrations Evan though Yamaha put feet that can turn into spikes if I wanted to use them . In regards of the cdplayer as long as it's on a level surface I would of thought that would be ok for vibration . 

I have a concrete floor with wood on top so it's unlikely that I could curse issues walking past my hifi 

this is why it difficult for me to understand the importance of a hifi rack in regards of how the rack will affect the sound  . I have not committed myself as I still got my thinking cap on 
well with my hifi it got rid of distortion.i know that your thinking well I don't get distortion? but I'm sure if you tried your kit on my Atacama rack you would hear the difference and aspecily with your speakers as they are very revealing.i see you have spent a bit on Speaker wire and I bet you thought it was worth every penny well it's the same with a good rack.it really makes alot of difference.for me a rack is more important than upgrading your wire.room acoustics should be first upgrade but I'm sure you've done your best with this so next is a good rack and then power cables and so on.as IV said before I would buy the Atacama Bamboo Eris Eco 5.0 3 Shelf Hifi Rack for about £250 and the buy something for IKEA for your TV.i know it's not going to look great but your on a budget and for your hifi this is the best option for you and sound quality.not saying what you have has to have a rack but if you want one I would do this

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
seemorebtts said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Ok

apart from supporting your hifi why is it important to pick the right rack for a hifi what will the rack do to the sound ? Because I've not got a clue.

i understand the importance of a rack when you have a TT on top because of vibrations involved but I have no TT yet . I have a soled state amplifier which is not affected by vibrations Evan though Yamaha put feet that can turn into spikes if I wanted to use them . In regards of the cdplayer as long as it's on a level surface I would of thought that would be ok for vibration .

I have a concrete floor with wood on top so it's unlikely that I could curse issues walking past my hifi

this is why it difficult for me to understand the importance of a hifi rack in regards of how the rack will affect the sound . I have not committed myself as I still got my thinking cap on
well with my hifi it got rid of distortion.i know that your thinking well I don't get distortion? but I'm sure if you tried your kit on my Atacama rack you would hear the difference and aspecily with your speakers as they are very revealing.i see you have spent a bit on Speaker wire and I bet you thought it was worth every penny well it's the same with a good rack.it really makes alot of difference.for me a rack is more important than upgrading your wire.room acoustics should be first upgrade but I'm sure you've done your best with this so next is a good rack and then power cables and so on.as IV said before I would buy the Atacama Bamboo Eris Eco 5.0 3 Shelf Hifi Rack for about £250 and the buy something for IKEA for your TV.i know it's not going to look great but your on a budget and for your hifi this is the best option for you and sound quality.not saying what you have has to have a rack but if you want one I would do this
. mmm... not sure what to believe

i currently have my hifi on a secondhand chest of drawers that cost me £50 to buy I think my hifi sounds pretty good on something that was not made for hifi .

the rack I am getting made is solid walnut and made for the the job and to put a hifi on it even uses spikes on each section it's just not made out of bamboo that's all .

i understand that buying a proper £900 rack that it has been tested to get results and that's what your paying for with the company's overheads theses things add to the cost of the rack and all the other things that are involved in getting the rack onto the market place .

But like cables and power cords none of it can be proven... only the person listening to there music can justify it to them self's if they can hear a change . I felt I heard a difference when I brought the audioquest speaker cables but it's so hit and miss and 50% of me thinks there is a lot of snake oil in the hobby and 50% of me believes because none of it can be proven not Evan by the big boys of the cable world which kind of kills people trying stuff out . I am afraid I kind of think the same about racks what justify's £900 of rack again 50/50 of me .

So I have meet in the middle I've brought a rack that looks good and is solid and fit for the job and it's better then a £50 chest of drawers .

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:
seemorebtts said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Ok

this is why it difficult for me to understand the importance of a hifi rack in regards of how the rack will affect the sound  . I have not committed myself as I still got my thinking cap on 

i currently have my hifi on a secondhand chest of drawers that cost me £50 to buy I think my hifi sounds pretty good on something that was not made for hifi .

the rack I am getting made is solid walnut and made for the the job and to put a hifi on it even uses spikes on each section it's just not made out of bamboo that's all .

i understand that buying  a proper £900 rack that it  has been tested to get results and that's what your paying for with the company's overheads theses things add to the cost of the rack and all the other things that are involved in getting the rack onto the market place . 

But like cables and power cords none of it can be proven... only the person listening to there music can justify it to them self's if they can hear a change  . I felt I heard a difference when I brought the audioquest speaker cables but it's so hit and miss and 50% of me thinks there is a lot of snake oil in the hobby and 50% of me believes because none of it can be proven not Evan by the big boys of the cable world  which kind of kills people trying stuff out  . I am afraid I kind of think the same about racks what justify's £900 of rack again 50/50 of me . 

So I have meet in the middle I've brought a rack that looks good and is solid and fit for the job and it's better then a £50 chest of drawers .
sorry didn't know you had bought it.lots to read on here.well anything is better than what you have.how much was it sorry being nosey

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
seemorebtts said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
seemorebtts said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Ok

this is why it difficult for me to understand the importance of a hifi rack in regards of how the rack will affect the sound . I have not committed myself as I still got my thinking cap on

i understand that buying a proper £900 rack that it has been tested to get results and that's what your paying for with the company's overheads theses things add to the cost of the rack and all the other things that are involved in getting the rack onto the market place .

But like cables and power cords none of it can be proven... only the person listening to there music can justify it to them self's if they can hear a change . I felt I heard a difference when I brought the audioquest speaker cables but it's so hit and miss and 50% of me thinks there is a lot of snake oil in the hobby and 50% of me believes because none of it can be proven not Evan by the big boys of the cable world which kind of kills people trying stuff out . I am afraid I kind of think the same about racks what justify's £900 of rack again 50/50 of me .

sorry didn't know you had bought it.lots to read on here.well anything is better than what you have.how much was it sorry being nosey
I've not got it yet

just put a deposit down to get it made it will take 4-5 weeks to make but in solid walnut £545

the trouble I had was the weight of both of the Yamaha's... both together 75kg of weight and the fact that the Yamaha units go back depth wise more then normal units which is why i never went for the Atacama elite as this was the only rack that would fit the yamaha stuff on which is why £900 ... £299 per shelf

Blacksabbath25 said:
seemorebtts said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
seemorebtts said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
Ok

I've not got it yet

just put a deposit down to get it made it will take 4-5 weeks to make but in solid walnut £545

the trouble I had was the weight of both of the Yamaha... both together 75kg of weight and the fact that the Yamaha units go back depth wise more then normal units

It is sometimes difficult to get a rack into which equipment that doesn't fill the normal 'rack sized' components bill. I had the same with my power amp height. Bespoke stands, although expensive, are the only way to go. Weight is not so much of a worry, my hifi rack will quite happily support me sitting on top.

When you've paid out a small fortune for said kit why shouldn't you budget in a decent looking piece of furniture to sit it on and do it justice?

For me the rack is another piece of equipment and, as such, is budgeted for out the outset. A bit like decent supports for standmounts.

It would appear a lot of people forget this and are more interested in cables etc. God help them...... ;-)

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
TIn4iykkKupONzvEzBbitQMzKITQXek2DVOxLr8KBUmxObptQ0U_t4jPW-9MJrfPTH3CW0yVfRXjW1HTXxxctbM-kWfqeSFpJK1tWCZGKVMey5m_MRTGNVwBHgBGkhu3rK5hsMq23MfE_GDcB2WqEHVFFwZSsxfsCSbOePW5MXYkBuGQuCS4A4Q_go8bG8d5NnBjByEMpTbjpvzgO0ytzezgi4SDo8UoCvtWFve31gTsfl5d63G9E-Uh2_x63SqVO9-zNQPBWtZhE_xVfBGi0v1TcJuHtaNeyzPtyiCn1WGX4Bme8t6exLH6IXL1fV6Otk0_tY25MYggRhf-Ikihdy0I7qASOT3VRS1yBuMX6lxEqECn4JCBWgS8GCDZAeZ43orEkOOt4yq0Klos2ltlcfkkZzUDXXkhImVHKD61kQh033UAKi_VXoyo3-WCcXbCo9q7Zj2u7ixrAEpcp2XWAMPjkIThClC1bxvhlpTVm2_MB0sQ6vzxTLOIH9bAIsln77sx9nhNMk878gzfcj6HPLvYmseyuLUvnC2hlb-4vfbrddzJjezzmdNlgOE93IJDHeHn3XJdhQZjZ8zoVQz3y6Ca4GetkDnRiOdkCUNYkofo90PUu5V8=w940-h705-no
5T5dhulvZAqR_TKTV-1ebxIEyGWnYaDz28xcVpD7sdqEdD6z0ZqcG5q6M9GvSMLwlveiN7EvpMajWu-AIPkhtDiXbBF5NQ4hov3z9lLBXOckXPDHWkRqczv0eFD8kV8rrdoPlOVJ4RBo4RdJM90OFbnDEozlM9KAi5C4blbFqViW1agv38o6javYO3sb0cBvh37K-jW6fFS1yFngL1W7H59zL5PkvrsOpKzM73YDbPu7Xv60G9USeCB7ZkGl-uWNK3VBq8V4b9lN6WNi6KwVKyKgkFXE1ft0Fv2-UdonLDwNGvsO61xJsBdGQc5t8MxC3OSIqhZtL4oAQaaPfBKQ4pORw_1iDOEnMPeE6lp7F3OAPLwrk6kFVEGJJhTqaj2QpgW2sFWi3JVnmITLhilcuuEH3-ijNOWVCVEw1iG0xtwyc436qRNhI7iScUlHYFBMBfrVwOH5pjJFngkxZXZcW7ZIZkSxw5RP64YBgvIw-_WpmI1keq0ApNWeShiB3pf2Y84TfAzl7Op83nLBLxYoZLlPm9OA0R55W2PEp4qesAlUmfX54wAiQrF4E8VFkWGDdMFgA3T2aSMGUmLwrUb2V_Vxs1233qvPUxrNeIaRl4TqdmDo=w941-h705-no
zLiBTFyrKbGrYtV5HI167IbXKqAcBUlR1qOgOPisEMI0p5x-gw5ogWn-oIo-M93PpWm6xidXhy03tFZLfZ8Fo7VNkPU5T5F9oRtEYZ1MwfchivHz57sFJkTgy3u_u4KB1KifvtYZLE8tDYAhATG8tQxB8lpYnwaNDesae1sjBaKJSpToK5mbizRXWmD1GpHQEjCOEHE35r_aiPtTp3G2VdNkCXQh7beowkK__7LElhscMCkGn-VV5U_F8Z3Y1kpsFRRCKzeOke53T-mTzLRZnmi89Rf2W3jigRVvA6itKhEBSXyahf8ucA4DY1OXoj-gc4f_T2GmacP0PkL1WjbExa_KLOas52Yl-x2V7PC6TxXj6ScgoanU9wV6ULrbk2_E6m9ZZUEWTuGxV2QpEmKmODmtPLJuH8ZboW094ftUzXnbIpbunahixY7KigjfsbfIzJHzyE2kxLP-O2zkNeE2hBzxarU_S3L8EVWfdu-CDTvZxbF5ODvSwzraLGWOhvJSR0PukDruwW5aot-4ZPqDFbVEmkR0ZG4tAb1MfR5YNqF-VUI2dzJ3F2u8ZvAbQGTnUgWcB8CcFWvTEvtF4H4VPFusdYNwhtsAOC5nZynQ_VcJTW8Q=w940-h705-no

hi andrew

have the rack now here are some pictures

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts