Av-hifi rack

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Tha Atacama Equinox range should work for your Yamaha ... I did the research some time ago when I was in a mind to get a Yamaha AS2000 ... 500mm deep shelves ... 25kg inermediate shelf and 75kg top shelf load bearing ability.

If steel and glass doesn't float your boat, the BDI range of furniture might be worth a look. The open frame BDI racks are a lot cheaper than their closed media cabinets..

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
i have a couple of these units. They are built to a design but you can request alterations to suit your need e.g. I had a back put on with vent/cable holes. Very solid and I expect it would take any weight you could throw at it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122144017825

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122107679923

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
richardw42 said:
i have a couple of these units. They are built to a design but you can request alterations to suit your need e.g. I had a back put on with vent/cable holes. Very solid and I expect it would take any weight you could throw at it. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122144017825 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/122107679923 

A much better option than the tacky glass stands

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
gel said:
yes I did see that one today but it's pick up only which is a shame as it's only £175 not bad money

Going on the glass and wood theme, my rack may suffice.

Dont you need wall paper with large flowers on for that stand to fit in?

What hifi review was good though: a good stand but bass light. Review of the month. Audiophille bs at it best!

Hi Sabbath.I prefer to keep my hi-fi and av gear seperate...check out the attacama eris 5.0 and look at oak forniture land for a decent place to sit the tv and extras on....it can all get a bit messy when all the kit is on one unit and your lovely yams might not perform to their optimum ,,oh and glass is mingin.lol

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Mark Rose-Smith said:
Hi Sabbath.I prefer to keep my hi-fi and av gear seperate...check out the attacama eris 5.0 and look at oak forniture land for a decent place to sit the tv and extras on....it can all get a bit messy when all the kit is on one unit and your lovely yams might not perform to their optimum ,,oh and glass is mingin.lol

Yes lol mingin very much

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
i just phoned the chap up who makes them

he can make any size any wood i have give him my dimensions of what i want to do he also going to look into seeing how much walnut costs as he thinks its cheaper then oak . yes the rack needs to be bigger 500mm deep and have both yamaha units side by side on one shelf then sat box , dvd on the bottom shelf and top shelf with the tv on top .

price is going to be around the £450 mark which is not to bad for real wood rack

D

Deleted member 108165

Sabbath, I remember seeing a photo of your kit posted on here some months ago and thinking how nice it looked on top of the current unit you have. Just my opinion... your money, your choice.

Have to say £450 is a big outlay for something that'll have minimal effect on the overall sound of a system.

I've had my rack since (circa) 2004, comparing other racks was impossible. Prior to my Sounds Unique I had a self-assembly MFI, which I had since 1978ish - that was all wood.

I may replace the glass shelves with wooden ones: I'll trot down to a local reclaimation yard and cut them to size. This consideration is NOT for SQ purposes but purely for aesthetics and cleaning purposes.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
The trouble is if you compare it with the Atacama AV racks your looking at £900 what meets my needs

and £450 not to bad for solid wood as he can do the rack in any wood I choose and the rack uses spikes for each section too .

i mean what's the benefits on buying a proper rack like the Atacama apart from using bamboo it still uses the same spikes .

Blacksabbath25 said:
The trouble is if you compare it with the Atacama AV racks your looking at £900 what meets my needs

and £450 not to bad for solid wood as he can do the rack in any wood I choose and the rack uses spikes for each section too .

i mean what's the benefits on buying a proper rack like the Atacama apart from using bamboo it still uses the same spikes .

Totally 'get' where you are coming from. However, Atacama stuff has generally inflated costs, hence why I recommended my rack. It looks quite modern yet traditional with the wooden uprights and cappings.

Unlike any other hi-fi component, racks are so difficult to dem... I would say nigh on impossible, unless you have a very patient dealer. And this one reason why I wouldn't change mine. Instead, I'll reawaken my old wood working skills and give it a lift.

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Much better than the atacama. If he does walnut then even better.

One thing id ask is for thicker shelves though but that will also make it more expensive. You can always hangle him a bit

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Yes he has already mentioned to me that I would need a slightly thicker shelf for the 2 Yamaha units .

he going look into the cost of using real walnut wood but he thinks it will work out cheaper then oak but I've said if it's too expensive I will keep with the oak and get it stained to look like walnut .

if I go ahead it will take 4-5 weeks to make as they are made to order but the basic 3 shelf rack start at £385 which I think is a good price for real wood .

D

Deleted member 2457

Blacksabbath25 said:
Yes he has already mentioned to me that I would need a slightly thicker shelf for the 2 Yamaha units .

he going look into the cost of using real walnut wood but he thinks it will work out cheaper then oak but I've said if it's too expensive I will keep with the oak and get it stained to look like walnut .

if I go ahead it will take 4-5 weeks to make as they are made to order but the basic 3 shelf rack start at £385 which I think is a good price for real wood .
thumbs_up.gif

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
gel said:
Blacksabbath25 said:

thanks for your help gel ! *smile*

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
Blacksabbath25 said:

sorry I'm a bit out of what's happening but sore this and had to replay. Atacama make excellent rack's.alot of research and development.they have the awards to back them up and I have the Atacama Eris Eco which is cheap and sounds amazing for the price.not saying that what you are looking at is bad but it might not be any good ie sound good.i could make you a table but it might sound pants.sick to something that has had some kind of review

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Ok

apart from supporting your hifi why is it important to pick the right rack for a hifi what will the rack do to the sound ? Because I've not got a clue.

i understand the importance of a rack when you have a TT on top because of vibrations involved but I have no TT yet . I have a soled state amplifier which is not affected by vibrations Evan though Yamaha put feet that can turn into spikes if I wanted to use them . In regards of the cdplayer as long as it's on a level surface I would of thought that would be ok for vibration .

I have a concrete floor with wood on top so it's unlikely that I could curse issues walking past my hifi

this is why it difficult for me to understand the importance of a hifi rack in regards of how the rack will affect the sound . I have not committed myself as I still got my thinking cap on

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts