Auditioning for new turntable

friendly_ghost

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Well now our travel is done and I've been offered a new job, what better way to celebrate than to finally get a decent turntable?

I'll go and audition the Tecnodec and a first version VPI Scout tomorrow. The Tecnodec has a Jelco-arm attached, but would come with a Rega one if I were to purchase one. I made sure to ask for the same cartridge on both, we'll see how it goes.

I've found a place in Brussels to audition the Analogue Works turntables, so I'll make an appointment there as well.

My budget should stay below 2000 euros for the deck and arm. Any other suggestions for must audition decks?
Any recommended cartridges or things to keep an eye out for while testing turntables?

Exited!

friendly_ghost

May 8, 2014
Visit site
So I compared the Scout and Tecnodec today.
The Scout came with JMW-9 tonearm (unipivot) and Grado Prestige silver cartridge.
The Tecnodec had a Jelco SA-250ST arm and the same Grado cartridge.

I played some jazz (Cannonball Adderley and Dave Brubeck), rock (King Crimson and Jimi Hendrix) and Stevie Wonders' Superstition.
Both decks were an improvement over what I have now, but I would say overall the Scout came out on top. It had more "bite" and the sound had more weight (maybe because the turntable is heavier?). Transients were sharper, bassrespons was bigger.

I don't think I could live with it though, I think it's not a nice thing to look at. The arm is very fiddly (even while sober) and there is no possibility for a dust cover.
The Tecnodec however looks lovely!

I would be able to pick up the Scout for 2000 and the Tecno for 1600 (2000 with Tecnoarm). Would the Tecnoarm make that big a difference to the performance? Or is it better to spend the extra on a better cartridge and more records?

friendly_ghost said:
So I compared the Scout and Tecnodec today.The Scout came with JMW-9 tonearm (unipivot) and Grado Prestige silver cartridge.The Tecnodec had a Jelco SA-250ST arm and the same Grado cartridge.

I played some jazz (Cannonball Adderley and Dave Brubeck), rock (King Crimson and Jimi Hendrix) and Stevie Wonders' Superstition. Both decks were an improvement over what I have now, but I would say overall the Scout came out on top. It had more "bite" and the sound had more weight (maybe because the turntable is heavier?). Transients were sharper, bassrespons was bigger.

I don't think I could live with it though, I think it's not a nice thing to look at. The arm is very fiddly (even while sober) and there is no possibility for a dust cover.The Tecnodec however looks lovely!

I would be able to pick up the Scout for 2000 and the Tecno for 1600 (2000 with Tecnoarm). Would the Tecnoarm make that big a difference to the performance? Or is it better to spend the extra on a better cartridge and more records?

Although the Jelco is an 'OK' tonearm the Technoarm A is perhaps better and better suited to that deck.

Only you can say if it is 400 euros better but it will enable you to upgrade the carytridge further in the future.

friendly_ghost said:
Ok, so the Tecno with Jelco is 1400 instead of 1600. Little mistake from the shop owner...

In that case it is not reasonable to pay 600 euro to have the Jelco replaced by the Technoarm (400 maybe). Normally the Technoarm retails around £635 and the Jelco £325 and it is clearly the better tonearm. The Grado cartridge should be fine in that set-up until some time in the future when you can upgrade further.

I own a TecnoDec and have the basic Rega (202?) arm with Grado Black. I've head a VPI a few years ago in Devon and was impressed at the sound, though the engineering is a little eccentric. You twisted the tone arm cables to adjust the bias!

Because I am familiar with Michell's standards I'd warm to that, but VPI are also masters of their craft and I'm sure either would be terrific.

friendly_ghost

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Heard the Clearaudio Concept as well yesterday, left me pretty much indifferent. All was well, just not anything I was blown away by. In the same league as the Tecnodec I would say, right now I'm looking forward to hearing the Analogue Works.

friendly_ghost

May 8, 2014
Visit site
I went to Brussels today to listen to the Analogue Works Zero. It was fitted with a Jelco sa-750 tonearm and a Nagaoka MP-200 cart.
This means the cart was more expensive than during the previous listening sessions, which made a good comparison difficult.

Sat down an put on some albums and really enjoyed myself! I just kept wanting to play more music, it sounded like a lot of fun. This was the first time I actually played all the albums I brought to the audition. Where the Clearaudio sounded more "hifi", I think here I enjoyed the music a lot more. I kept tapping my feet and discovered some details I had not heard before.
We ended up comparing pressings of "Take Five" (the shop owner had an original), the first time I heard so much difference between pressings.

I was also very impressed with the build quality and really liked the look of the turntable, so that's why I ordered an Analogue Works One with the Jelco tonearm!
I hope the next two weeks go by fast!

For the cart we'll organise a comparison between Audio Technica and Nagaoka when the turntable arrives, so you'll be hearing more from me in a week or two.

ifor

Dec 3, 2002
Visit site
friendly_ghost said:
I was also very impressed with the build quality and really liked the look of the turntable, so that's why I ordered an Analogue Works One with the Jelco tonearm! I hope the next two weeks go by fast!

I'm sure you won't be disappointed. I agree, the build quality really is top notch.

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
friendly_ghost said:
I was also very impressed with the build quality and really liked the look of the turntable, so that's why I ordered an Analogue Works One with the Jelco tonearm! I hope the next two weeks go by fast!

For the cart we'll organise a comparison between Audio Technica and Nagaoka when the turntable arrives, so you'll be hearing more from me in a week or two.

I am a very happy owner of a TT1. Bought mine 2 years ago with an Origin Live Alliance arm and Nagaoka MP-200. I have since changed the arm and cartridge to Audiomods/Nagaoka MP-500. *biggrin*

Congratulations on your purchase!

friendly_ghost

May 8, 2014
Visit site
Waxy said:
I am a very happy owner of a TT1. Bought mine 2 years ago with an Origin Live Alliance arm and Nagaoka MP-200. I have since changed the arm and cartridge to Audiomods/Nagaoka MP-500. *biggrin*

Congratulations on your purchase!

Waxy, do you use a dust cover? If so where did you buy yours and would you care mentioning the price and if you are satisfied with the quality?

Waxy

May 15, 2014
Visit site
Yes ghost, I use a Cover Company RS-3 which I bought from the same company who supplied the deck. It was not cheap... It is very well made but even now I find it hard to justify the price I paid.

There are companies out there who will build you a made-to-measure cover for half the cost of my cover.

D

Deleted member 108165

These guys offer very good quality products:

https://plasticonline.co.uk/display-cases-covers/turntable-covers.html

friendly_ghost

May 8, 2014
Visit site
So, it's finally here! Although the dealer promised me it would only take 2 weeks (AW even said to ship within one week) it eventually almost took six! Things seem to have been more difficult since there were no more Jelco's with AW, so we needed to purchase that separately and a truckload of AT-cartridges was robbed (including my original one).

I've been able to spin some records (not nearly as much as I would like) and am very pleased for now. The cartridge is still running in though, so I'll try and give a personal review later on after a more serious sitdown.
One thing I can say is an unexpected benefit. The TT is so heavy it does not bounce around on my suspended wooden floor, which means I can now listen to my records and allow my girlfriend to walk around at the same time.

friendly_ghost said:
So, it's finally here! Although the dealer promised me it would only take 2 weeks (AW even said to ship within one week) it eventually almost took six! Things seem to have been more difficult since there were no more Jelco's with AW, so we needed to purchase that separately and a truckload of AT-cartridges was robbed (including my original one).

I've been able to spin some records (not nearly as much as I would like) and am very pleased for now. The cartridge is still running in though, so I'll try and give a personal review later on after a more serious sitdown.One thing I can say is an unexpected benefit. The TT is so heavy it does not bounce around on my suspended wooden floor, which means I can now listen to my records and allow my girlfriend to walk around at the same time.

Excellent.

No Jelco's available? I hope they are, like some other well known brands, not getting too popular to fulfill orders on time.

friendly_ghost said:
No I guess they just ran out of stock at Analogue Works, they're an OEM supplier.

I know they are OEM and supply to many TT manufacturers, I was simply referring to the fact that AW are making mistakes if they let their own stock levels drop to a point where they can no longer supply their product within the stated time span.

I know a speaker manufacturer that did something similar to this once ..................... ;-)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts