Auditioned Naim 5si today

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
It was a pretty good amp, liked the digital buttons. Yes, it said thump at power off. Not a 700 pounds diff to my current Denon.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
personally I preferred the Brio R to the Nait 5si, dont know if it was the demo room or not (Castle Sound & Vision, Notts), speakers were RS3 and RP6 TT with Exact.

Just found the Brio R more musical, the Naim was a bit thick on bass - may of been different at home!

The ST40 kicks both their arses

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
NHL said:
It was a pretty good amp, liked the digital buttons. Yes, it said thump at power off. Not a 700 pounds diff to my current Denon.

Some amplifiers suit some speakers better than others, so you will sometimes find that it won't necessarily be the more expensive amplifier that sounds better. Did you hear it with the same speakers that you use? Did you also hear your amplifier in the same room with the same speakers in order to compare?

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
I was offered to listen to Brio R, but since it was half the price I didn't thought it would qualify. :rant:

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Personally I think the Brio R is a killer amp and IMO give the Nait 5si a run for its money!

Nothing is certain in HiFi, and I would listen to as many amps as possible!

Are you in the market for a new amp?

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
NHL said:

Some amplifiers suit some speakers better than others, so you will sometimes find that it won't necessarily be the more expensive amplifier that sounds better. Did you hear it with the same speakers that you use? Did you also hear your amplifier in the same room with the same speakers in order to compare?

True, the speakers were probably not optimal. Which speakers would fit best?

GeoffreyW

Sep 17, 2005
Visit site
NHL, I listened to high-end Linn gear at the same place as Steve Brock, listening to Pink Floyd in CD and HD qualities, and found that the sound balance was completely different from that of my Uniti/Royd Doublets. The vocals sounded "further back, less prominent" than I am used to at home, so just be aware, and if possible audition at home.

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey]

And what did you hear the 5Si with?

[/quote]

It was another quality brand, the synergy absent.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
Well you need to listen to a Brio R then, prefably at home - the Nait will drive the RS1 lovely but so will the Brio R effortlessly

What is your budget for an amp?

What source?

csq2

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
stevebrock said:
personally I preferred the Brio R to the Nait 5si, dont know if it was the demo room or not (Castle Sound & Vision, Notts), speakers were RS3 and RP6 TT with Exact.

Just found the Brio R more musical, the Naim was a bit thick on bass - may of been different at home!

The ST40 kicks both their arses

I find all Naim products, including Naim 5si take forever to fully break-in and sound proper. They need a good warm-up before each audition.

NHL

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
There's a load of good alternatives, unsure why the OP is persisting with Naim. He's not over keen on the Nait 5si, likewise the XS in the previous thread.

Along with Exposure I'd look at Creek, new Roksan K2 BT to name just a couple.

Naim is iconic, guess that's why I'm persisting, there must be something special.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
NHL said:
plastic penguin said:
There's a load of good alternatives, unsure why the OP is persisting with Naim. He's not over keen on the Nait 5si, likewise the XS in the previous thread.

Along with Exposure I'd look at Creek, new Roksan K2 BT to name just a couple.

Naim is iconic, guess that's why I'm persisting, there must be something special.

I owned the Nait 5i and CD5i and NAT05 (tuner) for two years between 2009 and 2011. I can assure you there is nothing 'iconic' about them. Good system? Yes. (Especially the tuner.)

"Something special". Not so much. Lots of companies out there (some that are equally 'iconic') are making equipment that is just as good for the money. (Or less money.)

Try to separate the tradition and history and PR from your decisions and just deal with what's playing in front of you on the day you are listening.

I have even known people think that their own hearing must be wrong, rather than admit they didn't really like the Naim sound. After that they have spent ever increasing amounts of money - on more and more Naim upgrades - just trying to get that special Naim 'something' that always eludes them, but they know should be there if only they could hear it!

However, you are not the only one who has this view of Naim as special and iconic. For that reason your used Naim equipment will sell very well and very quickly if you ever decide to upgrade or change in the future. It does hold it's value better than most.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts