Audiophile?

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Something interesting cheeseboy said in another thread; ' Nice Mains Cable' ...

He seems to think an audiophile is someone who spends 'thousands' on a cable in reply to my comment that some studios probably have little or no audiophile pretentions.

Mmmmh, a slightly blinkered view but typical of the anti-foo, anti cables (anti most hifi or so it seems) brigade.

In his defense, I too think the term audiophile has a somewhat snobbish undertone but unlike him I think an audiophile is simply someone who cares about the quality of playback and equipment used. That has less to do with money and would equally apply to someone buying a well regarded Denon or similar Micro as opposed to something plasticy from Asda or someone that pays a little bit more for a decent set of headphones than the included one (or a better interconnect than the free ones).

I think as long as you care about the reproduction (and equipment) according to your means/budget, you are an audiophile.

No need to spend thousands but there will always be some who like to think they must be different even though their goals are probably the same, albeit perhaps achieved in a different way. :)

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
It's become one of those words that people fight over. So it's quite hard to know what it means in any given instance unless you know who's using it and what their perspective is.

Having said that, the term already had (mildly) negative connotations back in the 1950s when it was first used.

http://www.csi.ensmp.fr/WebCSI/4S/download_paper/download_paper.php?paper=tang.pdf

Jota180

May 14, 2010
Visit site
Subjectivism versus rationalism. It pops up in just about every sphere of life. I regard myself as a rationalist.

Audiophiles are people who have a level of care about the standard of their playback equipment above the average.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Recently I've just taken to just assuming that every word anyone types on this forum is a perjorative of some sort :)

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
drummerman said:
He seems to think an audiophile is someone who spends 'thousands' on a cable in reply to my comment that some studios probably have little or no audiophile pretentions.

aer you saying you've met non-audiophiles who've spent thousands on cables then? ;)

drummerman said:
Mmmmh, a slightly blinkered view but typical of the anti-foo, anti cables (anti most hifi or so it seems) brigade.

who said I was anti cable/anti hi fi? Or do you just like to make stuff up to suit your viewpoint?

drummerman said:
In his defense, I too think the term audiophile has a somewhat snobbish undertone but unlike him I think an audiophile is simply someone who cares about the quality of playback and equipment used. That has less to do with money and would equally apply to someone buying a well regarded Denon or similar Micro as opposed to something plasticy from Asda or someone that pays a little bit more for a decent set of headphones than the included one (or a better interconnect than the free ones).

that's your viewpoint, and I actually kind of agree with that, however, on these very forums I've been told that basically when something was too cheap it wasn't "audiophile", so maybe start looking here before elsewhere.

FWIW I hate the term Audiophile, as because as I've experienced, most people who use the term do so to equate loadsa money spent = better. If you wish to use the term as you have expressed above, then I would totally agree with you, but I guarantee there will be people scoffing at your idea that somebody buying a micro system could ever call themselves an Audiophile. Those types of people are their own, and the perception of the industries worst enemy imho.

Maybe we should start using a new term so we can get away from the current stigma attached to the word. Any ideas?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
ID. said:
Recently I've just taken to just assuming that every word anyone types on this forum is a perjorative of some sort :)

Exactly so.

We used to define audiophile as "a person who interferes with small amplifiers."

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
I agree Drummerman.

I am an audiophile.

As is ANYONE who has spent more than a few hundred pounds on equipment to play back music.

A pair of good sounding headphones can be had for <£50 and any smartphone with such a pair of headphones is far more Hi-fi than any system pre-CD days.

A good sounding stereo system can be had for <£200

You spend more than that in order to increase the music playback quality then you ARE an audiophile.

I prefer the neo-terminoligy "audiophool" for those who spend lots of money on snake oil such as cables (assuming they actually believe they are improving matters...buying jewellry in the knowledge you're buying jewellry is vain but perfectly non-audiophile/phool)

:)

I

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
fr0g said:
As is ANYONE who has spent more than a few hundred pounds on equipment to play back music.

but again, there we go with the money thing again, equating money spent to the term.

It's possible to purchase a really good sounding system second hand for less than a crappy bluetooth boombox. Is that person an audiophile?

tricky isn't it?

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
For me an audiophile is someone who is chasing perfection within their means. Upgrading for the sole purpose of quality is a tell tale sign. The amount of money spent isn't relevant as we all have different disposable incomes.

A non-audiophile is happy if they can play music and don't necessarily care about the sound. They are more interested in features: e.g. can I listen to Spotify on it?

hg

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Audiophile?

As mentioned earlier, the meaning varies from group to group and so if you want to communicate unambiguously do not use the word. To my peers it is a slightly derogatory term for those that hold scientifically invalid "audiophile beliefs" (for example some of these) about home audio hardware. Note these are invalid objective beliefs not subjective beliefs. There is no conflict between a valid subjective view and a valid objective view of something. In order to create one a person needs to lose the plot.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
fr0g said:

but again, there we go with the money thing again, equating money spent to the term.

It's possible to purchase a really good sounding system second hand for less than a crappy bluetooth boombox. Is that person an audiophile?

tricky isn't it?

Not really tricky. If someone dives into second hand in order to gain quality at his or her budget, then he or she is an audiophile. The money thing was based on new prices. I personally have never bought anything second hand other than a skateboard when I was a kid, so that market is alien to me.

So, in the end it's still "money", but based more on an individual's circumstance...

For example, one of the reasons B&O gained a poor name a couple of decades ago was the price/ performance factor and the fact they were the "Apple" of their day in a way ...overcharging for style over substance and coming across more as a design/fashion company than a proper Hifi company. So rich showoffs bought the stuff and in those cases, they were probably not audiophiles.. I imagine the same could be said for many current footballers!

Of course their standing has improved somewhat in the audiophile world and they produce some great products now, at sort of reasonable prices.

I would say at least 90% of the people on this forum are audiophiles, especially the objective ones who have realised that cables add zero. More money can then be allocated to better components, where it matters.

I would also say vinyl and valve amp enthusiasts are not really audiophiles in the true sense as they are plainly not chasing the highest fidelity. But that's possibly a little contentious as they are the people most associated with the term!

cheeseboy

Jul 17, 2012
Visit site
fr0g said:
I would also say vinyl and valve amp enthusiasts are not really audiophiles in the true sense as they are plainly not chasing the highest fidelity. But that's possibly a little contentious as they are the people most associated with the term!

I'd run and hide if I were you, won't be long before they release the hounds ;) :D

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
You love reading books. Old paperbacks from charity shops, Kindle books, 1st edition hardbacks, old, new, mint or dog-eared ... Etc. You don't care. You love to read. The best term they can come up with for you is 'bookworm'!

You love to collect rare books and antique books. You love the old dust-jackets in perfect condition and the leather and the gold leaf. You love the smell. You hate it when the original owner cut off the price or wrote in the book themselves. When someone deliberately 'cracks' the spine of a new book you feint! You've never bought a paperback. You think Kindle is evil! You are a 'bibliophile'. (A far grander title.)

I don't know where I am on either 'spectra' (with books or hi-fi), just muddling around somewhere in the middle and enjoying myself I suppose.

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
You love reading books. Old paperbacks from charity shops, Kindle books, 1st edition hardbacks, old, new, mint or dog-eared ... Etc. You don't care. You love to read. The best term they can come up with for you is 'bookworm'!

You love to collect rare books and antique books. You love the old dust-jackets in perfect condition and the leather and the gold leaf. You love the smell. You hate it when the original owner cut off the price or wrote in the book themselves. When someone deliberately 'cracks' the spine of a new book you feint! You've never bought a paperback. You think Kindle is evil! You are a 'bibliophile'. (A far grander title.)

I don't know where I am on either 'spectra' (with books or hi-fi), just muddling around somewhere in the middle and enjoying myself I suppose.

I'm a bookworm. I love the Kindle. And I often read on my phone!

What does that make me? (ducks)

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
fr0g said:

I'd run and hide if I were you, won't be long before they release the hounds ;) :D

Not so sure. I think deep within most vinyl and valve enthusiasts is that realisation they are now in Lo-fi territory ;)

Womaz

Dec 27, 2011
Visit site
Audiophiles are people who have a level of care about the standard of their playback equipment above the average.

[/quote]

+1

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Womaz said:

+1

[/quote]Very sussinct Womaz and I think you saved me from a controversial badley spelt post! Mind you would be interesting to see the reaction!

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I consider myself an audiophile in the sence that I have spent time setting up my system as well as possible for my living environment.

I selected the best equipment for my needs and budget and care about the quality of the sound.

I use several forms of playback media (CD/Vinyl/AAC/streaming) and enjoy listening to and collecting music. I know of no one else who shares my interest in building a music collection and striving for optimum playback.

That is what I'd consider an audiophile. Someone who appreciates music playback and puts some effort into the equipment and setup.

As with every passion in life some people are obsessive, narrow minded, snobbish, delusional and always have to be right.

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
frOg:

If you live near South Cheshire and would like to hear both a Devialet-based system and a Valve-based system, to compare side by side, you would be most welcome to listen to mine. I think I can change your mind about Valves not being of the 'highest fidelity'.

EvPa

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
cheeseboy said:
aer you saying you've met non-audiophiles who've spent thousands on cables then? ;)

I know a few people who bought audio equipment simply because it was the most expensive one they could find/afford, they don't really fall into the "audiophile" category.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
fr0g said:
Not really tricky. If someone dives into second hand in order to gain quality at his or her budget, then he or she is an audiophile. The money thing was based on new prices. I personally have never bought anything second hand other than a skateboard when I was a kid, so that market is alien to me...

I'm curious as to why you never buy second hand?

And does that include cars and houses too?

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
frOg:

If you live near South Cheshire and would like to hear both a Devialet-based system and a Valve-based system, to compare side by side, you would be most welcome to listen to mine. I think I can change your mind about Valves not being of the 'highest fidelity'.

Having a valve pre-amp and DAC (output stage and PS on the DAC) I agree wholeheartedly. Although some valve equipment can sound a little "valvey", so I think I can appreciate what frOg is saying.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts