Audio Technica LP5

marb67

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Anyone have one of these turntables as I am thinking of going for it. The bonus is it has usb and has a 5 star review here. Richer sounds are doing an offer on it. This is the maximum I want to spend. It is to replace a Technics SLD-202

Thanks.

marb67 said:
Anyone have one of these turntables as I am thinking of going for it. The bonus is it has usb and has a 5 star review here. Richer sounds are doing an offer on it. This is the maximum I want to spend. It is to replace a Technics SLD-202

Thanks.

Are you ever likely to want to use that USB to digitize vinyl? I f not buy something else. You are going to get a better turntable when the money has been spent where it counts and not on superfluous 'extras'.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
go for it! I think it's been very well received. I think much of the praise was based on its build and performance not so much the inclusion of the USB option. I really like it, the styling, reminds me of a hybrid cross between a Technice SL1200 (body) and an example of a modern Rega or Pro-ject deck. I've never understood the desire to digitalise one's vinyl but if you don't have a pre-amp this deck will tie you over until you fancy an upgrand.... Must add I have no personal experience of one so perhaps that makes me opinion worthless...

marb67 said:
But it seems to have great reviews so not sure why you say I could get better for the same money.

What I meant was if they did away with the USB and cheap phono preamp they might have been able to provide a better cartridge than that cheap thing it comes fitted with.

You can get better sound quality for the money but not too sure if this is what concerns you.

Are you likely to use the USB port? What are you going to attach the turntable to equipment wise?

marb67

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Yes, sound quality is my priority and I will be running it on my Rotel 930 so no need for preamp.

On the other hand, is there an option to fit an excellent cartridge to my existing old Technics for as good, if not better sound quality ? At the moment it sits on top of my casstte deck with only the front 2 feet in contact as the turntable is larger. I know this isn't ideal but I have limited space and need to get some kind of solid base to sit it on.

what I am saying is I am am a novice when it comes to setting up a turntable but I want to at least learn. I have no idea how to set up the counter weight as it was given to me with no instructions.

luckylion100

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
marb67 said:
Yes, sound quality is my priority and I will be running it on my Rotel 930 so no need for preamp.

On the other hand, is there an option to fit an excellent cartridge to my existing old Technics for as good, if not better sound quality ? At the moment it sits on top of my casstte deck with only the front 2 feet in contact as the turntable is larger. I know this isn't ideal but I have limited space and need to get some kind of solid base to sit it on.

what I am saying is I am am a novice when it comes to setting up a turntable but I want to at least learn. I have no idea how to set up the counter weight as it was given to me with no instructions.

A fantastic source of information for examples of turntable setup etc, as is Vinylengine, especially for looking up long lost user manuals... They would be my first ports of call.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
luckylion100 said:
marb67 said:

Turntable set up is very important, especially on ones like Technics which don't have a suspension system. Isolation is key. So I would look at wall shelf with some isolation under the TT and position it away from the speakers if possible. What cartridge do you have now?

marb67

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Thanks all, i will look vinylengine up. The turntable at least is well away from the old JPW AP2 speakers which still sound good incidentally. It is in a tight alcove under stairs so space is tight. I could construct a simple wooden shelf , would that be ok to hold the turntable ? I have no idea about the cartridge but it looks to be the original technics. I replaced the stylus a few years ago but don't have the model number to hand.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Can I be honest, buying that AT LP5 is wasted money. I really cant see how it will be better than what you've already got unless you need the USB function and built-in pre-amp. Instead of blowing £300 on a new deck, spend a fraction of that amount more wisely by putting a decent new cartridge into your Technics and learn how to set it up properly. And no turntable will ever sound good half hanging off the top of another piece of hifi. You need to sort the basics first.

marb67

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
Can I be honest, buying that AT LP5 is wasted money. I really cant see how it will be better than what you've already got unless you need the USB function and built-in pre-amp. Instead of blowing £300 on a new deck, spend a fraction of that amount more wisely by putting a decent new cartridge into your Technics and learn how to set it up properly. And no turntable will ever sound good half hanging off the top of another piece of hifi. You need to sort the basics first.

I certainly don't mind you being honest, especially when you could be saving me wasting money on something I don't need . Fully understand what you say regarding getting the basics right first. I would like to get the best out of it so am happy to learn. Not bothered about the USB so much as I can always record onto my digital sony field recorder from the amp. Most albums are on Youtube anyhow.

I will have to do some reading on what are the best cartridges for this model. The red speed light has never worked since I have had it and it has no lid.

Much appreciated, thanks.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
You're very welcome. If you need help fitting a new cartridge and setting up the counter weight just ask, but alternatively there's almost certainly a YouTube video you could watch instead, and a picture is worth 1000 words as they say. The lid is less important but you could do with the speed light fixed, it's the only way you can tell if you're playing the right speed. Or shine an AC bulb at the platter rim, set the the speed and tape it up!

MajorFubar said:

That's pretty much what I was trying to say only I was half-asleep. :)

Simple strobe discs are cheaply available to check speed if the OP thinks it is out.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Al ears said:
Simple strobe discs are cheaply available to check speed if the OP thinks it is out.

The platter rim on his turntable already has the strobe markings, but the light is out. The deck comes with a control to finely adjust the speed, but unlike a pitch control, there's no zero position to tell him when it's right, you need to look at the stobe marks on the rim.

MajorFubar said:
Al ears said:

The platter rim on his turntable already has the strobe markings, but the light is out.

I know, it's just that in my experience the discs are easier to read than the platter rim if you are resorting to a desk lamp or the like..... just sayin'.

The integrated light shouldn't be too difficult to fix though.

marb67

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Just tried it then on a new pressing of Magical Mystery Tour and even though it's brand new, never played before it still has that anoying crackly, static sound as if dust is in the groves. The needle hasn't been hammered so not sure what that is. I will give it all a thorough clean and rejig everything. To be honest I always thought the cartrige was the plastic thing that housed the needle, not the whole piece that unscrews from the tone arm.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
marb67 said:
To be honest I always thought the cartrige was the plastic thing that housed the needle, not the whole piece that unscrews from the tone arm.

It is, usually. The bit that unscrews is the headshell. But just to confuse things some DJ cartridges plug straight into the headshell socket in the tonearm, and I don't know what you're looking at. You could have either. Post up a photo of what you've got and I'll try to help.

MajorFubar said:
marb67 said:
To be honest I always thought the cartrige was the plastic thing that housed the needle, not the whole piece that unscrews from the tone arm.

It is, usually. The bit that unscrews is the headshell. But just to confuse things some DJ cartridges plug straight into the headshell socket in the tonearm, and I don't know what you're looking at. You could have either. Post up a photo of what you've got and I'll try to help.

The plastic bit that screws in is the cartridge, the plastic bit that holds the bit that contacts the record is the stylus and is often replaceable.

If you cannot post a picture let us know any wording on the cartridge.

marb67

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
Ok, thanks again for the help. It needs a bit of a clean and the contacts/parts will get a spray of electronic contact cleaner but here it is. I am still in shock from the fact that a £300+ turntable will not be an improvement on an old thing like this that cost me £25 second hand *biggrin*

http://i803.photobucket.com/albums/yy311/marb67/Turntable.jpg
http://i803.photobucket.com/albums/yy311/marb67/Needle_1.jpg Sorry about the links but no way of posting images here.

marb67 said:
Ok, thanks again for the help. It needs a bit of a clean and the contacts/parts will get a spray of electronic contact cleaner but here it is. I am still in shock from the fact that a £300+ turntable will not be an improvement on an old thing like this that cost me £25 second hand *biggrin*

http://i803.photobucket.com/albums/yy311/marb67/Turntable.jpg

http://i803.photobucket.com/albums/yy311/marb67/Needle_1.jpg Sorry about the links but no way of posting images here.

Do NOT use electrical contact cleaner.

Still can't make out what cartridge that is. Try photo from the side or any wording might help. If it is as old as the deck it needs replacing.

marb67

Jul 30, 2015
Visit site
I understand now what exactly the cartridge is. I had no idea that you can disconnect it from the wires. It says it is a Technics U25 and it does look to be the origanal. The only thing it seems to be missing is the info label on the top where the screws go. Reading up on Vinylengine they are very sought after now.

So far I learned how to set the wieght and anti skate to the specified manual instructions so now I feel a bit more confident.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts