Audio Emotion (Nordost cables) and ASA

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
ellisdj said:
If you want report someone report Garden Buildings Direct. They take your money, deliver nothing, don't respond to contact via direct email or via the website. Promise phone calls back but don't make them. The parent company doesn't respond to a complaint

This company needs reporting

That's for Trading Standards to deal with, not ASA.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
ellisdj said:
If you want report someone report Garden Buildings Direct. They take your money, deliver nothing, don't respond to contact via direct email or via the website. Promise phone calls back but don't make them. The parent company doesn't respond to a complaint

This company needs reporting

That's for Trading Standards to deal with, not ASA.

I know its the not the same - it was an example - they have just contacted us confirming a refund but before that there was no contact at all - shocking online buying experience.

Fair play BB you do what you feel is best - to me its seems harsh but as always we will disagree. I cant wait for us to meet one day it will be a fun day or dispute lol :)

I would still love you to hera my system - wish we lived closer

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
This should also be part of WHF's function - as a consumer magazine - to protect people from unsubstantiated claims by manufacturers and retailers.

However, please correct if I am wrong, but their editorial team have no relevant technical backgrounds (as Andy Madden almost boasts of here). Arts and business and marketing I should think, but no technical or electronic or industry (as in designing and making) credentials.

We need the next generation of Barry Fox to cut through this kind of ... stuff.

(The same goes for all hi-fi magazines of course.)

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
You don't need to be a technical expert to know good sound. Otherwise the whole industry would consist of about 50 people including all the customers.

Their skill is in the writing about their experiences which is difficult to keep interesting box after box. If it was all technical it would be interesting but also boring.

I have no issue with someone selling something to me, if they do it well I might try /buy it.

Now days there is millions of armchair experts and the majority look to these for views on top of an official review. So there is ample opportunity which are always fully taken on this site to try and right any wrongs they feel are being done.

I just don't see the same wrongs as some of you.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
ellisdj said:
I just don't see the same wrongs as some of you.

That is why the boutique cable industry is thriving.

I dont see whats wrong in that - people vote with their feet

If putting better cables in my system makes it sound better to me then I dont care and its money well spent to me. I have spent big money on other actual tangible products that have been big let downs to me - I still dont hold any grudge towards that manufacturer or that side of the industry.

I was sold to and I bought it

To add a lot of the let downs were my fault for having things all wrong - not always but still I hold my hands up.

I have never felt let down spending any amount of money on cables - I put it down to experience of trying it out and to me thats a big fun part of the hobby. I admit to wasting a lot chopping and changing - I was looking at the wrong areas to acheieve what I wanted to for SQ

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
ellisdj said:
You don't need to be a technical expert to know good sound.

It's good for a consumer magazine, on a technical subject especially, to have at least one knocking around somewhere.

Anyway, I wish you an entire system designed and built from scratch by people without a shred of electrical knowledge or one technical qualification between them.

Sorry obviously you need technical people to build it - just not necessarilry to appreciate it or review it I dont think.

What is a dealer - they should help you put a system together to sound good to you - do they need to be a technical expert for that?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
ellisdj said:

It's good for a consumer magazine, on a technical subject especially, to have at least one knocking around somewhere.

Anyway, I wish you an entire system designed and built from scratch by people without a shred of electrical knowledge or one technical qualification between them. Find out how good that sounds with no input from a 'technical expert'. (You almost make that sound like a bad thing to be!)

abacus

ellisdj said:
chebby said:
ellisdj said:

Anyway, I wish you an entire system designed and built from scratch by people without a shred of electrical knowledge or one technical qualification between them.

Sorry obviously you need technical people to build it - just not necessarilry to appreciate it or review it I dont think.

What is a dealer - they should help you put a system together to sound good to you - do they need to be a technical expert for that?

Yes they do, as modern home cinema in particular is highly complex and beyond most users, (Most don't even know how to use all the different settings to get the best sound) therefore understanding the technicalities reduces the chance of making a mistake and makes putting together a satisfying system more easily. (You can always tell those that have not sought technical advice before buying or setting up a system, as they are always swapping and changing things, whereas those that listen and understand the technicalities usually only buy once, and the system lasts them for years)

Enjoy whatever you enjoy

Bill

I received a letter from ASA last week:

ijeHcfh5NFu_UdcGvZlBapDfSw9ROBDV8EJqLUdhLmER=w1069-h601-no

It'll be interesting to see what they said...

Received an email from ASA today:

Further to our letter of 5 August, Audio Emotion has now given us an assurance that they have removed the Nordost part exchange post from their Facebook page.

We consider their assurance will resolve the complaint without referring the matter to the ASA Council, and will consequently be closing our file. In a formal investigation, if the ASA Council decides that claims are in breach of the Code, the advertisers are told to withdraw or amend them. Because Audio Emotion has already removed the claim, we consider there is little to be gained from continuing with a formal investigation on this occasion, which would achieve that same outcome.

Although we will not publish full details of your complaint on our website, www.asa.org.uk, basic information including the advertiser’s name and where the ad appeared will appear on Wednesday 30 September.

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to raise the matter with us and for your patience while we investigated. If you would like more information about what we do and the ads we have found in breach of the Code, please have a look on our website.

TRENDING THREADS