ATC SCM19 vs Harbeth Compact7 ES3 for sound....

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I can get the above for about the same price, which is the better buy? Both are 5 star winners in WHF.... Recently heard the Square 1s (Wilson Benesch), the sound is holographic but honestly, I didnt quite dig the sound as much as my ATCs....but just wondering about the Harbeth... Currently using the ATC SCM11. There's this general opinion that Harbeth is not so good for rock/pop, but they do vocals plenty justice, whereas the ATCs are excellent for any genre... Anyone care to share their opinion and which to get? Thanks

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
What are your amp and cdp?? The SCM19 is a fussy pair of speakers and if you are not match them carefully the sound may be brutally honest! result in some modern pop or 80's rock can sound hard and compress. They also power hungry, if your amp couldn't drive them properly they may sound shut in.
I can't comment on harbeth as I never heard them but I think the 2nd hand price are very temting.
good luck and enjoy
regards

A

Anonymous

My amp is Cyrus 8Vs2 and source is lossless files from PC HDD and Mac...
My room is pretty small, about 3m x 4m only, so would sitting a speaker as big as the Harbeth C7-ES3 or the SCM19 result in bass overhang or boom...despite them being good speakers? Room acoustics is still an important determinant. Or maybe I am better of with the SCM11s considering my study room size?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Lupan, I would consider using the money you willing to pay for SCM19 on a CD player! I heard many Mac/Pc base systems and none had flot my boat! I know all that benefit of having 1000's of lossless files at your fingers tip but if you concern more about sound qaulity, the dedicated cd player is a must! As it is, I think you only can hear about 70% of what your amp and speakers can do. If you really can't do without your MAC as a source, there is a way round it! buy a Behringer ULTRACURVE PRO DEQ2496 for around 200 notes and use your MAC as a trasport connect to a build in DAC in Behringer, as bingo the sound should be almost there. The Behringer also have a build in room correction function (a long, complicated process...you have been warn) which adjust your sound in digital domains to suited to your room accoustic, amazing gear for the price.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the suggestion Thaiman, noted :)

But I already have 2 CDP: Marantz CD7300(HiFI Choice Best Buy) and the famous Rega Apollo but to be honest, I prefer running music from my HDD/Mac for convenience and even with the CDPs, I still prefer my E-MU 1616 soundcard...SQ difference not as much as the mind makes you believe but the convenience is heavenly...
So much so that now the 2 CDPs are gathering dust, but I still keep them around just for completion sake, that's also the reason why I never bothered about vinyl/tunrtables either. Flipping LPs every 7 tracks isn't what I would call convenience (for me personally)...

Back to the speakers, any speakers better than the ATCs? I am interested in the Harbeth C7ES3 but they seem too bulky for a standmount....I think at best they might be a lateral switch, not a marked upgrade....

I am thinking though about the AVI ADM9 as these seem like the 'flavour of the month' lately....or the splendidly reviewed Audioengine 5A (these are not really what i had in mind as they seem like toys but maybe as a control pair since they are pretty cheap by hifi standards, cost less than my cables)....

Any inputs?

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the suggestion Thaiman, noted :)

But I already have 2 CDP: Marantz CD7300(HiFI Choice Best Buy) and the famous Rega Apollo but to be honest, I prefer running music from my HDD/Mac for convenience and even with the CDPs, I still prefer my E-MU 1616 soundcard...SQ difference not as much as the mind makes you believe but the convenience is heavenly...
So much so that now the 2 CDPs are gathering dust, but I still keep them around just for completion sake, that's also the reason why I never bothered about vinyl/turntables either. Flipping LPs every 7 tracks isn't what I would call convenience (for me personally)...

Back to the speakers, any speakers better than the ATCs? I am interested in the Harbeth C7ES3 but they seem too bulky for a standmount....I think at best they might be a lateral switch, not a marked upgrade....

I am thinking though about the AVI ADM9 as these seem like the 'flavour of the month' lately....or the splendidly reviewed Audioengine 5A (these are not really what i had in mind as they seem like toys but maybe as a control pair since they are pretty cheap by hifi standards, cost less than my cables)....

Any inputs?

A

Anonymous

Hey Lupan

I've been concidering buying a Rega Apollo, so if you decide to sell yours let me know. I'm not sure I can afford it right now, as I have a holiday in ibiza planned, but may be in a few months?

Cheers

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Both of your CDP are very good for that price range. I have heard many CDP that would show them the door though but again you have to pay more. As for your speakers, I have heard a few ATCs and they do need lots of power up them, sound wise they are excellent as far as honesty are concern. At this price point they are so many out there and, in my book, speakers are the most important thing in the system as they are limited by your room accoustic, get that right and you will be laughing.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts