Primare i30 + ATC SCM19 anyone ....?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey guys,

Can anyone comment on this pairing pls ?

The living is around 4X5 m and I'd be seated around 2.5m from the loudspeakers. Would the ATC SCM19 be a good match. I understand the ATCs are quite power hungry so would the Primare be a good enough amp to drive them at 100W/ch ?

Or shall i get the SCM11 ? Are they very different speakers ? The 11 falls within the budget but for the 19 I'll need to stretch a bit but if it's worth it then I'm prepared.

Quite a number of guys recommended the PMC Tb2i and Dynaudio Focus 110 and I auditioned the new PSB Synchrony Two B and the B&W CM5.

They're all good and they're all cheaper then the ATC (except for the PSB) and I guess it's safe to go with any of these ultimately choosing over preference of sound character but the only thing is that they're all rear ported. And i won't be able to move them away far enough from the front and side wall for proper placement ( max of 0.5m ) .

Thus ATC came to mind (since it's a sealed design). Much appreciate the suggestions guys.....

Cheers......

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi

It's more about current rather than all out power, but the Primare is stable enough for the ATC's. If you can go with the 19's, they'll give you a slightly fuller sound than the 11's with a little more punch. Midrange also benefits from the larger driver too.

The Dynaudio's and the PMC's both need a little bit of room to get the best from them, so will definitely need home demo to see how they'd interact with your room, but I'm guessing they'll not be the best options for you. With the ATC's being a sealed design, they'll work better in your situation. If they're too close to the side walls, toe them in a little to cut down on HF reflection from the side walls.

A

Anonymous

eyesofra:
Hey guys,

The living is around 4X5 m and I'd be seated around 2.5m from the loudspeakers. Would the ATC SCM19 be a good match. I understand the ATCs are quite power hungry so would the Primare be a good enough amp to drive them at 100W/ch ?

Or shall i get the SCM11 ? Are they very different speakers ? The 11 falls within the budget but for the 19 I'll need to stretch a bit but if it's worth it then I'm prepared.

Quite a number of guys recommended the PMC Tb2i and Dynaudio Focus 110 and I auditioned the new PSB Synchrony Two B and the B&W CM5.

They're all good and they're all cheaper then the ATC (except for the PSB) and I guess it's safe to go with any of these ultimately choosing over preference of sound character but the only thing is that they're all rear ported. And i won't be able to move them away far enough from the front and side wall for proper placement ( max of 0.5m ) .

Thus ATC came to mind (since it's a sealed design). Much appreciate the suggestions guys.....

Cheers......

hi mate, iv got the same size room as yours and iv got the atc scm40s' running off a primare i30 and there a exellent match, i couldnt be happyer! i also had the atc scm11's before i upgraded to the 40's and again its a fantastic pairing, the primare has more than enough power for the atc's.i have my 40's up close to a back wall and it isnt a problem they sound great!

A

Anonymous

First;y the speakers. The 19's are definitely worth the premium over the 11's. You get the Super Linear Driver and that really is the star of the show. Go demo them and I promise you'll do anything to get the 19's! You're right about placement as well, I had my 19's stuck corners of a small ish room and they still delivered an even neutral sound.

As for your amplifier, it'll drive the 19's just fine. Watts aren't an out and out indicator of an amps ability to drive a load - think of it like a car engine - its not just about sheer BHP but the amount of torque available! I seem to recall there are other contributors with Primare & ATC who can share their experience.

A

Anonymous

Cheers guys for the simple yet crystal clear explanations !

David & Crimson- Here in oz , I could get the SCM11 delivered for 1600 bucks whereas the SCM19 goes for 2500. What I'm weighing here is whether the step-up in sound quality from the SCM11 to SCM 19 is worth the extra 900 dollars.

What would your opinions be on this pls ?

fowler - I'm shocked ! Ur driving the floorstander version of these power hungry speakers with the i30 ! I knew the i30s were good but this is remarkable feet indeed !

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
eyesofra:
Hey guys,

Cheers......

I wasn't overly impressed with the SCM11, the 19 are supposed to be a lot better. The Primare should be a fine match but I'd demo them together before spending that much.

A

Anonymous

Recently I have been demoing several speakers with the i30 which included the ATC SCM40 and PMC OB1.

This amp had plenty of power to drive both well on a range of music and although I have not heard the 19's I'm sure it will be ideal for your SCM19's

Hope you enjoy them.

A

Anonymous

Oakman,I can see u've opted for the PMC from your signature :)

Can u tell me your views on the sound character of these speakers paired with the i30 pls ?

Hi eyesofra

The Primare i30 has more than enough power to effectively drive the ATC SCM19 speakers. ATC's drive units are very constant allowing an amplifier to deliver its full power all the time (prior to clipping). The impedence of a speaker is far more important than its overall efficiency.

The i30 has got good current and i also suspect sufficient damping factor to keep the drive units in check. The quality of power is far more important than the overall quantity.

It is with the the SCM19's that ATC really start to flex their muscles (having already given an exceedingly good taste of what they are capable of with the SCM7's and SCM11's). The SCM19's use a massively engineered mid/bass unit which incorporates ATC's Super Linear Magnet Technology to help reduce distortion even further compared to the already impressive CLD (Constrained Layer Damping) mid/bass unit used in the SCM11's. The sheer scale, precision and mass involved it the SLMT mid/bass is superb. The SCM19's SLMT mid/bass drive unit weighs more than a complete SCM11! As good as the SCM11's are the SCM19's show them a clean pair of heels in terms of technology and performance (below the HF). I sell more SCM19's than SCM11's and by a margin. The SCM19's are worth every penny of their premium over the SCM11's.

The SCM19's are a closed design and more importantly are flat and honest which further helps with room postioning (without the LF getting itself into a twist).

The SCM19's (amongst other qualities) have an uncoloured, precise, natural and powerful presentation which will help the qualities of your components tgo shine through by enabling them to breathe.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Yes, I have orderd the PMC and very much look forward to recieving them later this month.

I find putting sound into words a very difficult thing to do but I'll have a go.

Compared to other speakers I listened to :

All the instruments stood out and created a very balanced sound- clarity

Excellent balance of bass to mid range- not disproportionate

Treble beautifully presented

High level of involvement in the music- listening to the sound rather than being critical of the individual parts

Exciting-makes your heart thump!

Easy to listen to- long sessions would be enjoyable and not be tireing.

Natural -the sort of sound I was expecting

Did not feel that I had to turn up the volume to make it sound better, although I could

Finish and looks great- important in a living room

Overall superb with the Primare i30 and stood out from the rest by a long way!

Sorry if too much info but you did ask!

Cheers

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
a what hifi review of primare and atc. should set your mind at ease
emotion-1.gif

http://www.atc.gb.net/reviews/SCM19REVIEW3.pdf

can't get it to work as a link.

A

Anonymous

This discussion turned out to be a very helpful one ! All the information that i ever wanted regarding " the pairing " in a single page ...lol

Thanks guys , u fellaz rock !

eyesofra:

This discussion turned out to be a very helpful one ! All the information that i ever wanted regarding " the pairing " in a single page ...lol

Thanks guys , u fellaz rock !

Hi eyesofra

Your welcome.

If you can than go for the SCM19's. The lower it distorts the more natural it sounds.
emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Cheers Rick ! SCM 19 sounds more and more interesting indeed !

A

Anonymous

Hi again Rick,

Whats your take on atc19s being driven by Class D amps like the Bel canto designs ?

http://www.belcantodesign.com/Belcanto_Integrated_Amplifiers.html

Thanks for the inputs.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts