ATC SCM11 curved/ Kef LS50

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
Evening all,

Just reading through the specifications of these two speakers they are extremely similar, the main points being their low sensitivity of just 85 dB and their 8 ohm impedence. The ATC impedence is said to be a steady 8 ohm whereas the LS50s drop to 3.2 ohms alot. Therefore the SCM 11s are an easier load for the amp overall.

Yet when reading reviews etc I regularly see that the SCM11s are reported to sound dull at lower volumes due to their low sensitivity. However the LS50s are considered to sound great at low volumes, which I can personally confirm is correct. Sensitivity is the same however!?!

Am I missing something here or is an opinion being formed about the ATCs based on written specs rather than actual listening? Any SCM11 owners care to comment please?

ChrisIRL said:
Evening all,

Just reading through the specifications of these two speakers they are extremely similar, the main points being their low sensitivity of just 85 dB and their 8 ohm impedence. The ATC impedence is said to be a steady 8 ohm whereas the LS50s drop to 3.2 ohms alot. Therefore the SCM 11s are an easier load for the amp overall.

Yet when reading reviews etc I regularly see that the SCM11s are reported to sound dull at lower volumes due to their low sensitivity. However the LS50s are considered to sound great at low volumes, which I can personally confirm is correct. Sensitivity is the same however!?!

Am I missing something here or is an opinion being formed about the ATCs based on written specs rather than actual listening? Any SCM11 owners care to comment please?

Take quoted manufacturers spec with a pinch of salt. Reviews are only a guide as you normally have no idea as to that sort of set-up the reviewer had them on the end of. The ATC's with their sealed-box design are reknown for needing an amp with a lot more of everything to drive to their full potential whereas the LS50's will be a tad more forgiving.

These are two very different speaker designs. The only way to hear the difference is go and audition.

Personally I believe that as what are basically studio monitors the ATC's were never really designed with low volumes in mind :)

Al ears said:
Personally I believe that as what are basically studio monitors the ATC's were never really designed with low volumes in mind :)

Hi Al ears

Unless I've missed something I've not come across any messages, stickers or something similar on ATC monitors that says play at or approaching disco like levels
regular_smile.gif
In my experience ATC monitors sound perfectly good at low, moderate and at high levels
thumbs_up.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

MUSICRAFT said:
Al ears said:

Hi Al ears

Unless I've missed something I've not come across any messages, stickers or something similar on ATC monitors that says play at or approaching disco like levels In my experience ATC monitors sound perfectly good at low, moderate and at high levels

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

That's nice to know you must have a very good amp indeed.

In my experience these, and other sealed-box type monitors like them, do not sound their best at low volume levels unless backed up by amplification of some quality, and by that I me expensive.

NJB

Nov 28, 2008
Visit site
The characteristics of sealed box vs ported speakers are different, placement has to change and I suspect that people have a natural tendency towards one or the other.
I have auditioned both styles recently. Ported speakers have a tendency to give instant appeal, they sparkle and grab attention. Sealed boxes are slow burners, they underplay their talents and need longer auditions to recognize their qualities.
I am currently cheating by using ported, with foam bungs inserted, placed against a wall. Sounds crazy but they are amazingly good.

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
My current amp is a K2 BT. I heard an awful lot of myths about the LS50s performance that I know now first hand are simply not true. Sure they sound better with better amplification but wouldn't all speakers! They still sound better than most anything else even with lower powered amps. I'm guessing same is true of the ATC SCM11s. Thanks for replies.

Pedro2

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Hi ChrisIRL

We've owned the ATC SCM11s for 9 months now and they are driven by a Roksan Caspian power amp. How they would sound for you would depend on the amp and very important, the size of your room. Our room is quite small (4m x 4m) and they sound great (even at modest volume levels). If you have any tendency for bass boom in your room, then the ATCs would fit the bill nicely. Always listen, however, in your own room if at all possible and with your own partnering equipment.

Good luck!

Pedro

Al ears said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Al ears said:

Hi Al ears

Unless I've missed something I've not come across any messages, stickers or something similar on ATC monitors that says play at or approaching disco like levels In my experience ATC monitors sound perfectly good at low, moderate and at high levels

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

In my experience these, and other sealed-box type monitors like them, do not sound their best at low volume levels unless backed up by amplification of some quality, and by that I me expensive.

Hi Al ears

From a NAD C325BEE and up to a Hegel H30
regular_smile.gif

ATC designs and builds monitors (Studio Control Monitor)
shades_smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

bazs

May 19, 2015
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
Al ears said:
MUSICRAFT said:
Al ears said:

Hi Al ears

Unless I've missed something I've not come across any messages, stickers or something similar on ATC monitors that says play at or approaching disco like levels  In my experience ATC monitors sound perfectly good at low, moderate and at high levels 

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

In my experience these, and other sealed-box type monitors like them, do not sound their best at low volume levels unless backed up by amplification of some quality, and by that I me expensive.

Hi Al ears

From a NAD C325BEE and up to a Hegel H30

ATC designs and builds monitors (Studio Control Monitor)

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Hi Musicraft,
Could you help me with the ATC SCM40 topic please?
Thanks,

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts