ATC SCM11 near field?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Certainly enough for me these days, sad to say my 'bin and horn' days are long behind. Whether they have eq'ed the bass or not, it works well for me.

The bass is fine for most of what I play, a lot of jazz these days though the other day whilst doing some stuff around the house I had an alternative 80's playlist going quite hard.

A word about the X-Art tweeter, superb.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I don't remember how they sound. Heard a pair of AXs in a shop for a bit years ago. But if it's good enough for Carl Cox, it's good enough for me.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I feel that some perspective is needed here, these are not 'hi-end' speakers in any normal hi-fi sense, they are much too forthright for that, I am sure that many would consider them lacking in 'musicality', to use an old fashioned term.

Personally I really love their honesty and lack of character, I find it gives me insight into the music, the recording, everything really. They do not, usually, make poor recordings unlistenable but you are under few illusions as to what you are listening too.

For a lot of modern systems they make tremendous sense, a pair of A7x with a Bluesound Node or a Yamaha WXC50 is as much as many people need though the industrial looks will put off some. A little over £1500 all up.

The Artist6, that I have, does not have the capabilities of the A7x but they are pretty and easy to fit in a modern home, the control that the onboard eq and active configuration brings to the table makes them far easier to position than any hi-fi speaker that I know at a comparable price level.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I think you got better (proper) speakers with the Artist 6 than the Adam A7X. Design with less compromises, just look at what's crammed inside those tiny A7X boxes.

Not sure, but I think Adam now ditched linears PSUs and Class AB amps altogether.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
nopiano said:
Do I read correctly that these are no longer made?

I believe production stopped around the middle of last year, though some product remained available for a while.

They were marketed to the pro market as a 'multi-media' package but, in general, pros would buy regular A series and save some money.

The Artist6, which I have, are pretty rare in the uk, a few pro dealers sold the compact Artist3 and Artist5 models but again few pro users were prepared to pay the premium over the A3x/A5x models.

Generally the Artist6 was ignored though it is an absolute dream for hi-fi use. It sold in europe for around €1200 though I would imagine that if it were sold in the uk via the usual hi-fi distribution model it would be a lot more expensive.

davedotco said:
nopiano said:
Do I read correctly that these are no longer made?

I believe production stopped around the middle of last year, though some product remained available for a while.

They were marketed to the pro market as a 'multi-media' package but, in general, pros would buy regular A series and save some money.

The Artist6, which I have, are pretty rare in the uk, a few pro dealers sold the compact Artist3 and Artist5 models but again few pro users were prepared to pay the premium over the A3x/A5x models.

Generally the Artist6 was ignored though it is an absolute dream for hi-fi use. It sold in europe for around €1200 though I would imagine that if it were sold in the uk via the usual hi-fi distribution model it would be a lot more expensive.
Thanks, dave. The looks would suggest wider appeal so it's a shame they're no longer made!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I was very very lucky finding a used pair just a few miles from me (in London) so I grabbed them.

They were absolutely mint but lacking grills, superbly made in every respect, fit and finish is a of a very high order. Measuring just 34 x 5.5 x 7.5 inches they take up minimal space. Though they sound best brought out into the room and positioned in the usual hi-fi setup, their active drive and bass shelving controls means they can be positioned virtually anywhere without any hint of bass boom or overhang.

Regarding the grills, I contacted Adam, explained that my local dealer was unfamiliar with the Artist range and reluctant to order grills for them, so they sent me a pair direct for about £60 all up, very professional in all respects.

Currently playing a 1957 recording of Bud Powell, Bassist Paul Chambers using a bow on some tracks, fabulous.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts