Asking for a discount without being an insulting idiot

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
T

the record spot

the record spot said:
Pathetic. Take it somewhere else.

This comment was in relation to another post that's since been removed and not MP's post!

Mods - unpublished

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
BrianRostron said:
I started this with the aim of avoiding being an insulting idiot, must be some irony there?

Just goes to show that bigotry, alcohol and the internet are a potent but unhappy mix. Nothing to do with you, but it is disconcerting when your own thread kicks off like that.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
BrianRostron said:
This would be a big purchase for me, I don't even like hi fi that much, for a start just buying the stuff is a huge amount of hassle. An old cliche but its all about the music, which is one of my few pleasures in life. A few grand off the Blades would buy a lot of 180g vinyl........

Question or two for you Brian.

What gear are you using at the minute , guessing by the above there is a turntable involved somewhere along the lines ;).

Are you a 'listen to anything going' fella or do you major on Jazz / Classical / Folk or whathaveyou ?.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
chebby said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
Some awful statements in this thread. Sure to insult a good number of people.

Getting back to the OP and his 30K Blades system...

...as a dealer David - and whilst you are here - what is your take on this?

Judging by the mentality of some of the posts in this thread, I'm not touching this one with a barge pole! :)

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
David@FrankHarvey said:
chebby said:
David@FrankHarvey said:
Some awful statements in this thread. Sure to insult a good number of people.

Getting back to the OP and his 30K Blades system...

...as a dealer David - and whilst you are here - what is your take on this?

Judging by the mentality of some of the posts in this thread, I'm not touching this one with a barge pole! :)

The mods have dealt with that.

Just thought it would be good - for balance - to have a view from the other side of such transactions.

Tarxman

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
+1

smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif

BrianRostron

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
David - I must admit I don't blame you for standing back this one. The whole point of this thread was that I was hoping to get a decent discount (because I'm not that rich!) but at the same time respect the time, effort and indeed hard capital that hi fi dealers need to put in just to provide demos.

A case of fair play I guess.....

Terrible irony that this one got hijacked, if only in part, by insulting idiots! One lesson learnt, don't post serious stuff on a Friday evening, internet forums and some people's end of week drinking do not mix to well.

You could perhaps give some advice on the hi fi side of things. The thing that impressed me most about the Blades was the quality, resolution and impact of the bass. A kind of hi def bass, superb quality and lots of it, but not as held back and shy as you might get from equally resolved B&W 800 diamonds or similar.

All advice welcome and I might end up talking to you about a discount, but in private I guess!

BrianRostron

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
And Floyd - yes. I have a Rega Planar 25 aniversary with an RB600 arm. As we are now on the Rega 40th aniversary I think this may be due an upgrade too! It's kept me happy for years though, so no complaints!.

As for the music, yes a very wide spectrum. but lots of rock old and new, electronic stuff, wierd and wonderfull indie stuff. Could be Zeplin one day, the Orb the next.... I have a strange relationship with jazz though ..... I only like it live!

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
BrianRostron said:
And Floyd - yes. I have a Rega Planar 25 aniversary with an RB600 arm. As we are now on the Rega 40th aniversary I think this may be due an upgrade too! It's kept me happy for years though, so no complaints!.

As for the music, yes a very wide spectrum. but lots of rock old and new, electronic stuff, wierd and wonderfull indie stuff. Could be Zeplin one day, the Orb the next.... I have a strange relationship with jazz though ..... I only like it live!

You read pretty much like me then in the tastes dept. Current amp and speakers ?.

I do weird and wonderful in spades .

BrianRostron

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Late 90's JBL L100's, Danish built, not to be confused with the original American incarnation. Amps are Arcam Alpha 10 + 10P bi-amped.

So bit of an upgrade this one ......

The old system still sounds good though, again I've been happy with it for years.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Wild card this as it appears that you have pretty much decided on the Devialet * . But in the loudspeaker dept try and get a dem on ART Alnico Signature , will you like the looks , well we will see. Curve ball on the amp dept , Anthem M1 statement monos.

Have you given valves any thought ?.

* how did you arrive at this choice ?.

** The Alnico Reference are stunningly good but we are talking 40k+ here.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
I have a client with the Blades and the Dev that evolved into the Dev mono's and the sound is staggering. A very strong combination and one I can see the appeal of. You will not go wrong and could spend a long time looking for better . This is where the value of the dealer may come in - especially if after a year or so you wish to alter the system.

As for the discount thing to my mind there is a lot more to a product than just the price but how you view that very much depends on the type of buyer you are.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
floyd droid said:
Wild card this as it appears that you have pretty much decided on the Devialet * . But in the loudspeaker dept try and get a dem on ART Alnico Signature , will you like the looks , well we will see. Curve ball on the amp dept , Anthem M1 statement monos.

Have you given valves any thought ?.

* how did you arrive at this choice ?.

** The Alnico Reference are stunningly good but we are talking 40k+ here.

Nice to see an ART suggestion - the current range is superb and different from the Blades. I wouldnt think you would need the M1's for the ARTs although they work excepitonally well on the Blades.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
I was aiming the Anthems at the Blades Nick but didnt make that clear. As you know the ARTs can be driven by a 9 volt battery hence I asked if the OP had given valves a thought.

BrianRostron

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
No, not fixed on the Devialet. The basic plan is decide 100% on the speakers, the look at appropriate amplifier options. The speakers are the key for me as I think they are the biggest variable regards sound quality and character, then pick the amp to suit. I would like to audition every possible option, but hey.... I'm not going to live for ever and I would like to get back to actually listening to music rather than auditioning hi fi every weekend.....

It's hard work and wearing the car out, and if I splash out on the Blades the car is going to have to last me a few years more ..... !

I checked out your amp suggestion on line and it does look the part! Not silly money either versus the spec. I have only heard the Devialet briefly with the Blades, but I have never heard low bass resolved so finely and cleanly, ever. Impossible to know how much the Devialet contributed to this versus the Blades. I did hear the Devialet with PMC Fact 12's and this time, not massively different to Fact 8's I listened to with Brystons. You could go on for ever in this game ........

BrianRostron

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
[UNPUBLISHED DUPLICATE]

And in other news..... Off to Oxford now for another audition.... and another 70miles on the poor ageing Beemer .....

I'll report back if anyone is interested ..?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts