Asking for a discount without being an insulting idiot

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

BrianRostron

Apr 3, 2011
Visit site
Ben - I actually tried some ATC SCM100asl's. The must have the best mid range performance possible for money, very impressive indeed. In many ways I loved them. The bass was just so lean for my taste, they ran to very low frequencies but just not much there. With a decent sub though...... could be excellent I guess.

And what's all this salesmen stuff! Stop it guys! Each to his own, and a decent salesman (rather than one just interested in a sale) is worth his or her weight in gold. Plus my mate was a salesman, and he is now semi retred and worth a mint!

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
BrianRostron said:
Ben - I actually tried some ATC SCM100asl's. The must have the best mid range performance possible for money, very impressive indeed. In many ways I loved them. The bass was just so lean for my taste, they ran to very low frequencies but just not much there. With a decent sub though...... could be excellent I guess.

And what's all this salesmen stuff! Stop it guys! Each to his own, and a decent salesman (rather than one just interested in a sale) is worth his or her weight in gold. Plus my mate was a salesman, and he is now semi retred and worth a mint!

Ah yes, I recall now. Have you tried any planar speakers? I'm guessing you have the space if you're contemplating blades.

matthewpiano

BenLaw said:
You also need to demo widely IMO at this price point. Try to listen to a variety of solutions, including planar speakers and some big actives, like ATC.

Agreed. With such a large budget this is the only sensible thing to do. I think I'd probably spend about a year trying stuff before spending at that level! (Not that I'm ever going to have that budget)

Bigsounds

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site
andybeau said:
altruistic.lemon said:
You miss the point. Do you think Brad Pitt asks for discounts on a Rolls Royce? Snob market, mate.

Probably the tightest people I know are the ones with shed loads of money...and thats why

Ask for discount and salesmen are there to be abused and insulted

If they didn't want to be they should have paid more attention at school

Looking at the level of your gear, your the one that should have paid more attention at school. Working in sales is one of the best jobs one could have.

John Duncan

BenLaw said:
John Duncan said:
BenLaw said:
John Duncan said:
lpv said:
some will say AVI sounds better for 1/10th of the price :clap:

Some will. Ask them if they've ABXed them.

You think they'll sound the same?

I have no idea.

I think you have some idea.

Actually, I think you're right - I suspect they would sound different. I don't know which I would prefer as I've only heard one.

Tarxman

Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
floyd droid said:
Lie !. If dealer B says " that will be 32,800 quid to you sir ". You respond with " laters mate dealer A quoted me 27k ". Would be surprised if you make it to the door without being called back.

Alternatively just ask what kind of discount would be on offer if you bought these things. If you get a negative , walk !. You are not being insulting just asking a question.

More importantly , if you are going to drop 30k on gear , you best be bloody sure to get it right because you are in for a walloping if in a few weeks down the line you go off it.

In that sort of an instance, if it were me, I would say best buy it from there.

Salespeople aren't silly, if they know it's an absurd price, they aren't going to match it. And quite frankly, in that situation, I would consider you to be an "insulting idiot".

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
BrianRostron said:
And Cno, feel free to post bank account number and sort code etc. I'll see how much cash is left after the weekend ......

Just put the thrupence ha'penny in an envelope and address it to CnoEvil Esq., N.Ireland. :grin:

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
John Duncan said:
BenLaw said:
John Duncan said:
BenLaw said:
John Duncan said:
lpv said:

I have no idea.

Actually, I think you're right - I suspect they would sound different. I don't know which I would prefer as I've only heard one.

Exactly. I'm sure everyone would expect them to sound distinctly different. And as you know ABX is nothing to do with preferences, just whether one can tell the difference. So no need to ABX AVI and blades. Just trying to avoid perpetuating confusion over the nature / purpose of ABX.

A

Anonymous

Bigsounds said:
andybeau said:
altruistic.lemon said:
You miss the point. Do you think Brad Pitt asks for discounts on a Rolls Royce? Snob market, mate.

Probably the tightest people I know are the ones with shed loads of money...and thats why

Looking at the level of your gear, you're the one that should have paid more attention at school. Working in sales is one of the best jobs one could have.

Really can you quantitfy that please because I thought I got value for money (you don't know what I paid) all sorts of people influence what we buy aka Richard Branson, he is quoted as saying "ipsum sine timore consector" which loosely translated from the latin means "Screw it, lets do it!", or could it mean "Screw You!!"

John Duncan

BenLaw said:
John Duncan said:
BenLaw said:
John Duncan said:
BenLaw said:
John Duncan said:
lpv said:

I have no idea.

Exactly. I'm sure everyone would expect them to sound distinctly different. And as you know ABX is nothing to do with preferences, just whether one can tell the difference. So no need to ABX AVI and blades. Just trying to avoid perpetuating confusion over the nature / purpose of ABX.

Why would one expect them to sound distinctly different? Presumably they both purport to represent more or less state of the art (and therefore should sound quite similar), it's just that one claims to do so more cheaply?

T

the record spot

Good luck with the dem, but might you be in a position to try some other models too? Zingali speakers are apparently stunning, both in audio and finish terms and in youyr price bracket. Limited dealers however, but a couple are around the country.

McIntosh would also be on my shortlist for amps and CD players. Likewise Audio Research. Perreaux amps too.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
John Duncan said:
BenLaw said:
John Duncan said:
BenLaw said:
John Duncan said:
BenLaw said:
John Duncan said:
lpv said:

I have no idea.

Why would one expect them to sound distinctly different? Presumably they both purport to represent more or less state of the art (and therefore should sound quite similar), it's just that one claims to do so more cheaply?

Not sure what point you're trying to make asking questions you know the answer to but let's keep it short by saying driver size and number and cabinet size.

matthewpiano

andybeau said:
Bigsounds said:
andybeau said:
altruistic.lemon said:

Looking at the level of your gear, you're the one that should have paid more attention at school. Working in sales is one of the best jobs one could have.

Really can you quantitfy that please because I thought I got value for money (you don't know what I paid) all sorts of people influence what we buy aka Richard Branson, he is quoted as saying "ipsum sine timore consector" which loosely translated from the latin means "Screw it, lets do it!", or could it mean "Screw You!!"

Looks like a good system to me.

A

Anonymous

andybeau said:
Bigsounds said:
andybeau said:
altruistic.lemon said:

So come on quantify it you sanctimonious C U N T

MODS - UNPUBLISHED

A

Anonymous

the record spot said:
Pathetic. Take it somewhere else.

Why? Why the f u c k should I go on tell me

I'm in Coventry go on tell me where to meet and I will why should I take s h it like that really

MODS - UNPUBLISHED

A

Anonymous

BenLaw said:
Reported. Hopefully banned.

To be honest I hope so because this is such a w a n k forum full of bigotts it's unbelievable

so f u c k you alll

MODS - UNPUBLISHED

T

the record spot

andybeau said:
BenLaw said:
Reported. Hopefully banned.

EDITED BY MODS

so-long-farewell-copy.jpeg

Mods - unpublished

T

the record spot

andybeau said:
the record spot said:
Pathetic. Take it somewhere else.

Why? Why should I go on tell me

I'm in Coventry go on tell me where to meet and I will why should I take it...

Your first post on this thread was boneheaded enough; you're just showing your ignorance and deserve the reaction that you got from the guys who work in sales here after your cheap shot.

By the same token, clearly, why should they take it from you?

Mods - unpublished

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts